Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 07:45 PM

43 posts, read 290,967 times

Advertisements

There are even kids who live outside city limits that attend Walnut. I've had friends from (White Oak, outside CPS) as well as within CPS Oakley, Clifton and Northside who went there. Good school...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 PM
vrp

4 posts, read 42,296 times
our son just got thru the test & we are planning to move to the Mt. Washington area. Anyone with any opinion on this neighborhood?
Also have a question regarding the transportation...it seem the kids will need to use the metro bus for commuting to/from school. We weren't comfortable with the idea of commuting thru metro bus...our son will be going into 7th grade & we are kindof anxious putting him thru metro. Anyone with any alternative to this or any suggestions...welcome.
Thx in advance for the time.

When our son was appearing for the test, I did meet someone who was living out of the area & wanted to attend WHHS...I think they need to pay a high tuition.

Old 07-19-2008, 04:17 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Mt Washington has a "suburban" feel to it, a very quiet and safe area. You're right in between the older and wealthier Mt Lookout neighborhood and the start of eastern suburbia (Anderson Twp.)

I wouldn't be concerned with the Metro's security record if I were you. "Nothing ever happens" on the buses, and evildoers don't tend to be early risers. Have you plotted the route your 7th-grader would be taking? It might be faster to go downtown on a "Sun Run" express, then pick up the #8 out Gilbert Ave to Victory Pkwy. There'll undoubtedly be other Mt Washington kids making the same commute, so before long he will likely have fallen in with some of them. "There's safety in numbers" is a true statement. Visit go-metro.com for schedules and maps. You may well, over time, meet up with other families from your side of town and be able to work out a carpooling arrangement.

Walnut Hills High sits on the spot where the communities of Avondale, Evanston, and Walnut Hills converge. Each of those areas are long past their heyday in that vicinity. But "bad things" occur only farther up, and down, Gilbert Ave and over on Reading Rd. The streets behind the school are all residential and non-problematic. I-71 rent the neighborhood asunder when it was put through in the '70s, and serves as a physical and psychological divider between the campus and sketchy areas on the other side.

Walnut Hills has held on tightly to its sterling reputation. Congrats to your child for getting in.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:13 AM

2 posts, read 19,480 times
Default Thanks for the replies

Thanks to all who replied to our query about neighborhoods for Walnut Hills kids. I was hoping someone would reply about Mt. Washington (thanks to VRP's posting and goyguy's reply, we now know that our son won't be the only kid from Mt. Washington going to Walnut Hills!). Like VRP we are likely to buy a house in the neighborhood. By far, it's the neighborhood that has the most houses that meet our needs and is in our price range ($200,000, but we would like 2 baths and a 2-car garage, which is hard to find in the neighborhoods closer to downtown). I love some of the older houses off Wasigo and Honeysuckle, Wilaray, etc. However, I am worried that our son will feel isolated out there, with more of Walnut Hills kids coming from neighborhoods like Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, Clifton, etc. Hopefully there are plenty of Walnut Hills kids in Mount Washington.

VRP, I have been searching the Walnut Hills website for a bulletin board or listserve where parents can coordinate buddying up kids from similar neighborhoods for the metro bus ride to school, but haven't found a link. Have you? We are moving from Norther California (we arrive 2 days before school starts). Our son will be starting 9th grade there.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM

43 posts, read 290,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisRivers View Post
Thanks to all who replied to our query about neighborhoods for Walnut Hills kids. I was hoping someone would reply about Mt. Washington (thanks to VRP's posting and goyguy's reply, we now know that our son won't be the only kid from Mt. Washington going to Walnut Hills!). Like VRP we are likely to buy a house in the neighborhood. By far, it's the neighborhood that has the most houses that meet our needs and is in our price range ($200,000, but we would like 2 baths and a 2-car garage, which is hard to find in the neighborhoods closer to downtown). I love some of the older houses off Wasigo and Honeysuckle, Wilaray, etc. However, I am worried that our son will feel isolated out there, with more of Walnut Hills kids coming from neighborhoods like Oakley, Pleasant Ridge, Clifton, etc. Hopefully there are plenty of Walnut Hills kids in Mount Washington.

VRP, I have been searching the Walnut Hills website for a bulletin board or listserve where parents can coordinate buddying up kids from similar neighborhoods for the metro bus ride to school, but haven't found a link. Have you? We are moving from Norther California (we arrive 2 days before school starts). Our son will be starting 9th grade there.
Yeah, I'm sure there are plenty of kids from Mt. W that attend Walnut. Most of the kids who don't attend the nearby catholic high school (McNicholas) attend Walnut.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:05 AM
vrp

4 posts, read 42,296 times
To start with, appreciate goyguy's insight...that response did really help us put things in the right perspective.
Also, DavisRivers for starting this thread...:-)
Unfortunately for us/our son, we are not able to move in this year. We plan to move the next school year.
Appreciate all the info provided.
Best Rgds,
VRP

Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 6,788 times
Lightbulb Current Student

Hi, I'm currently an eigth grade Walnut student and I live in Westwood. My classmates live all over the city, in places like Clifton, Hyde Park, Pleasant Ridge, Northside, College Hill, Indian Hill, etc.- you get the point. There is also a wide varity of students. Students come from different plrts of the world, may be an exchange student, may have special needs, come from a different race or religion, or come from a broken family. All the students learn alongside eachother and we learn about eachother by learning together and learning tolerance. Walnut offers a great curriculum and awesome extra curriculars (for both parents and students) as well as opportunities for students to get help. The staff want all of the kids to get the best junior/senior high experience possible while learning about different types of people and learning everything you're supposed to learn in high school. I am having a fantastic time and I think that Walnut is a great school and experience for every teen.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
[quote=DavisRivers;4542814]Thanks to all who replied to our query about neighborhoods for Walnut Hills kids. I was hoping someone would reply about Mt. Washington (thanks to VRP's posting and goyguy's reply, we now know that our son won't be the only kid from Mt. Washington going to Walnut Hills!). /quote]

For that matter, there are also quite a few kids from Mt. Washington who head to St. Ursula and Purcell-Marian, both also located in Walnut Hills.

Old 11-10-2010, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 5,489 times
I am a student currently going to Princeton Community Middle School, but I wish to go to Walnut Hills High School instead of Princeton. Would I have to pay tuition?

Old 11-10-2010, 06:20 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
[quote=jlawrence01;8736562]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisRivers View Post
Thanks to all who replied to our query about neighborhoods for Walnut Hills kids. I was hoping someone would reply about Mt. Washington (thanks to VRP's posting and goyguy's reply, we now know that our son won't be the only kid from Mt. Washington going to Walnut Hills!). /quote]

For that matter, there are also quite a few kids from Mt. Washington who head to St. Ursula and Purcell-Marian, both also located in Walnut Hills.
I missed this back in 2009 but since it is revived, lets correct the record.

Most kids in Mt. Washington go to McNick which is a better school for both boys and girls than Purcell Marian. I would doubt there is one kid from Mt. Washington traveling to PM instead of McNick. Maybe a few to Ursula which is regarded as a premium parochial school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati