Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 11:53 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://local12.com/news/local/coney...ent-management
Quote:
Local 12 has been reporting on the closure of Coney Island and has followed the developments of the story closely. We've dug deep into the amusement park's rich history, talked with the community about their memories from the past and worries of the future, and given updates on what's to come next. Here you will find brief summaries of each of the stories, videos, and links to full articles.
Excellent recap of the events.

Remember, all good things eventually (or must) come to an end
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2024, 06:39 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Paywall

Old 03-27-2024, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
Paywall
No paywall. Try using another browser. I'm using FireFox

Old 03-28-2024, 06:43 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Hard to believe Sunlite Pool is gone for another elitest takeover.

Old 03-28-2024, 07:01 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,409,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Hard to believe Sunlite Pool is gone for another elitest takeover.
I'm not trying to be argumentative in asking this, but why do you consider this acquisition an elitist takeover? I'm prone to believe that the existing operation, while nostalgic and fondly remembered by many locals, was no longer financially viable. Unfortunately, like many other institutions, time seems to have passed Coney Island/Sunlite Pool by. On the whole, the intended plans for the property seem to be something that could benefit the city and its residents. At least it's not going to be a parking lot, a hotel, or luxury condominiums.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
I'm not trying to be argumentative in asking this, but why do you consider this acquisition an elitist takeover? I'm prone to believe that the existing operation, while nostalgic and fondly remembered by many locals, was no longer financially viable. Unfortunately, like many other institutions, time seems to have passed Coney Island/Sunlite Pool by. On the whole, the intended plans for the property seem to be something that could benefit the city and its residents. At least it's not going to be a parking lot, a hotel, or luxury condominiums.
The bold is a strip line.....meaning it's the opposite of what you then followed up with, an argument or position. It's like when someone says "I don't mean to pry" and then comes the prying questions lol. Hey the purpose of a message forum is to argue, take positions etc. so your response is more than welcome. Whoever owned Coney Island Sunlite pool has to right to sell their real estate. It's a little sad, so many music venues, and there was only 1 largest pool in the pool in the country.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:21 PM

I've heard from someone that used to be connected with management at CI that maintenance on Sunlite Pool was becoming more than profit

He said pool would have had to be rebuilt with all new plumbing, cement and repairs under cement as well as locker rooms

Hey guys, IT WAS OLD!

Like I said in OP
Quote:
Remember, all good things eventually (or must) come to an end

Old 03-29-2024, 11:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I've heard from someone that used to be connected with management at CI that maintenance on Sunlite Pool was becoming more than profit

He said pool would have had to be rebuilt with all new plumbing, cement and repairs under cement as well as locker rooms

Hey guys, IT WAS OLD!

Like I said in OP

A typical conversation in Cincinnati:

Did you hear that they are closing the pool at Coney Island?

No, they cannot close that place it is history. We always went there as kids.

Well, when is the last time you were there?

Old 03-30-2024, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
A typical conversation in Cincinnati:

Did you hear that they are closing the pool at Coney Island?

No, they cannot close that place it is history. We always went there as kids.

Well, when is the last time you were there?

Never heard that conversation. You seem happy that it's gone, why?

Old 03-30-2024, 10:23 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Never heard that conversation. You seem happy that it's gone, why?
I am not happy that it is gone. However, it has always been a pool that has been high maintenance and with declining membership and usage, what do you expect.

However, just like the Albee and Schubert Theatres downtown, whenever a relic of the past can no longer be maintained, there is a group that bemoans that the place is going to be closed and demolished. However, when you talk with them, they have not patronized the business for many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: