Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 05:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times

Advertisements

Is the Kentucky side of Cincinatti made up of mostly native Kentuckians who moved there from other parts of Kentucky? Or are a fair amount of native Ohioans living on the Kentucky side? Is Cincinatti and NKY in the same time zone? I thought Kentucky was in the Central Time Zone and Ohio was in the Eastern Time Zone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 05:20 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,410,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Is the Kentucky side of Cincinatti made up of mostly native Kentuckians who moved there from other parts of Kentucky? Or are a fair amount of native Ohioans living on the Kentucky side? Is Cincinatti and NKY in the same time zone? I thought Kentucky was in the Central Time Zone and Ohio was in the Eastern Time Zone.
Same time zone. I think as Northern Kentucky has become more "gentrified" over the years it has become a very nice and desirable place to live. I'm sure there are a lot of native Ohioans living on that side of the river now.

Old 12-09-2023, 12:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 4,609,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
Same time zone. I think as Northern Kentucky has become more "gentrified" over the years it has become a very nice and desirable place to live. I'm sure there are a lot of native Ohioans living on that side of the river now.
At least they're good suburbs. Some cities and towns that set across the state line from a big city are among the most undesireable cities and towns in the nation, such as Camden, Gary, and East St Louis.

Old 12-11-2023, 09:44 AM

735 posts, read 483,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
At least they're good suburbs. Some cities and towns that set across the state line from a big city are among the most undesireable cities and towns in the nation, such as Camden, Gary, and East St Louis.
There's definitely truth to that, as Gary and east SL absolutely sux!

Guys, I was thinking to start another thread, but maybe just as well ask here...

Me and the wife want to visit your parts next spring. Goal is primarily vacation but also to scout out the area for a possible future semi-retirement relocation.

Options for a stay is a hotel or Airbnb/Vrbo, wondering where would be ideal? We would prefer a scenic [safe] walkable area, with walking access to Cincinnati, but we'll also have a car so could drive to those places if that's better. In either case, we're planning to drive around to check out the farther out suburban areas as well.

Anyways, can I get some ideas for the closer in areas to stay in, like downtown Covington, Newport, or Cincinnati proper?

Also, while at it, what are the nicer parts on both sides of the river in the metro area, and where to avoid?

Thx much for the info so far guys, and please let me know if I'm better off creating a new thread for these new questions.

Old 12-12-2023, 09:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G in MP View Post

Guys, I was thinking to start another thread, but maybe just as well ask here...

Me and the wife want to visit your parts next spring. Goal is primarily vacation but also to scout out the area for a possible future semi-retirement relocation.

Options for a stay is a hotel or Airbnb/Vrbo, wondering where would be ideal? We would prefer a scenic [safe] walkable area, with walking access to Cincinnati, but we'll also have a car so could drive to those places if that's better. In either case, we're planning to drive around to check out the farther out suburban areas as well.

Anyways, can I get some ideas for the closer in areas to stay in, like downtown Covington, Newport, or Cincinnati proper?

Also, while at it, what are the nicer parts on both sides of the river in the metro area, and where to avoid?

Thx much for the info so far guys, and please let me know if I'm better off creating a new thread for these new questions.
My thoughts exactly! I honestly do not know. For instance, what about Covington, Mansion Hill, Dayton, etc.?

Old 12-13-2023, 06:43 AM

12,104 posts, read 23,266,362 times
Quote:
Hi, considering the higher property tax rates in OH, can you locals clarify for me some benefits to purchasing a primary residence on the Ohio side as opposed to buying south of the river in Covington or there abouts? I understand the expenses are somewhat offset due to the vehicle plate sticker and home/auto insurance costs, but there's got to be more to it.

Let's say a detached single family in the $500k range within max 20 min drive to downtown Cincy, scenic/established area. Why OH over KY? Thx much in advance for some pointers.
Do you want a 20 minute commute time for work, or just a 20 minute drive to downtown. As noted, you can spend 20 minutes getting across a bridge.

Old 12-13-2023, 09:49 AM

3,254 posts, read 1,410,291 times
Quote:

My 2 cents....Cincinnati is not a huge city, and you can get to many parts of the metro area from anywhere else in the metro are in less than 30 minutes (assuming you are not stuck in traffic). Having said that, I think for a visit to scope out the area you can stay pretty much wherever you want given that you will have wheels. One nice place to stay with a decent amount of "stuff" that allows good access to downtown as well as the northern suburbs is Blue Ash. Downtown Blue Ash has a number of restaurants/shops, as does nearby Summit Park, and you are very close to Kenwood which has dozens of places to eat and an upscale shopping mall. You have easy access to I-275, I-71, Reed Hartman and Cross County Highways. There are probably 10+ hotels in Blue Ash--so lots of places to stay.

Old 12-13-2023, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Do you want a 20 minute commute time for work, or just a 20 minute drive to downtown. As noted, you can spend 20 minutes getting across a bridge.
No, just the drive to downtown, and not during rush hours. We would be semi-retired by then anyways.

I've been researching the area online, looking at google maps and stuff, Zillow listings for past sales, the crime map, etc. All that shopping in Florence, especially Costco, proximity to that is definitely a draw too. Also proximity to good health care...and btw, how is that out there, anyways? I read Christ hospital is the best option there, true?

We live on acreage now in the Chicago suburban area, it's very nice where we live. We would want something kind of comparable, just maybe less of it. So not hicksville, not a cookie cutter neighborhood, and homes a bit farther apart (1 acre or more lots).

From what I saw on Zillow, homes on Independence Station Rd in Independence near Kenton County park looks a pretty good fit, around 20 min to d/t Covington and Cincy, 12 min to Costco, seems legit. How is it out there?

I've seen some real nice home on Zillow west of the airport past Burlington, but I imagine driving in from there would be a pain, especially in winter. Yes/no?

Old 12-13-2023, 11:00 AM

17,306 posts, read 12,228,591 times
Don't forget KY has an annual property tax on vehicles based on their value too.

Old 12-13-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVNomad View Post
My 2 cents....Cincinnati is not a huge city, and you can get to many parts of the metro area from anywhere else in the metro are in less than 30 minutes (assuming you are not stuck in traffic). Having said that, I think for a visit to scope out the area you can stay pretty much wherever you want given that you will have wheels. One nice place to stay with a decent amount of "stuff" that allows good access to downtown as well as the northern suburbs is Blue Ash. Downtown Blue Ash has a number of restaurants/shops, as does nearby Summit Park, and you are very close to Kenwood which has dozens of places to eat and an upscale shopping mall. You have easy access to I-275, I-71, Reed Hartman and Cross County Highways. There are probably 10+ hotels in Blue Ash--so lots of places to stay.
Thx much for the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati