Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 PM

1 posts, read 8,873 times

Advertisements

Does anybody remmber if the Gourmet Room in the old Terrace Hilton Hotel was a revolving restaurant? Before you jump and say it is in Kentucky; think twice. I am almost certain it was a revolving restaurant. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 11:26 PM

204 posts, read 745,414 times
Mike,

I definitely remember this restaurant. If you were on the lower, bar level, you were not revolving, but if you were on the restaurant level, you were revolving. It was "interesting" to step up from the lower level to the restaurant. Although it was moving slowly, you could still feel the difference.

On the lower, bar level, they used to have a happy hour, with free food, and entertainment by Shirley Jester.

Old 05-30-2008, 10:27 AM

17 posts, read 72,425 times
yes i remember it well. It was The Terrace Plaza originnaly. My cousin was the chef in the top at the steakhouse for several years. That was in the 50's. I remember old cincy downtown. old times theater, planters peanut house on 5th and the camel sign that blew out smoke rings. The albee, the cricket restaurant, all those old places brings so many memories. get back to me, anyone.

Old 06-01-2008, 09:42 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,838,011 times
The Gourmet Room was NOT, and never was, a revolving restaurant. That would've been a feat of engineering in the rectangular Terrace Hilton! Shirley Jester was a great entertainer fondly remembered by thousands, but she never would've been given a gig in the Gourmet Room. It was all about the dining experience, or so I'm told since when the folks went there it was an "occasion" and we kids stayed at home with a babysitter (lol.)

Old 06-02-2008, 09:58 PM

205 posts, read 984,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
The Gourmet Room was NOT, and never was, a revolving restaurant. That would've been a feat of engineering in the rectangular Terrace Hilton! Shirley Jester was a great entertainer fondly remembered by thousands, but she never would've been given a gig in the Gourmet Room. It was all about the dining experience, or so I'm told since when the folks went there it was an "occasion" and we kids stayed at home with a babysitter (lol.)
Wasn't the Gourmet Room kind of circular and didn't it perch on top of the East corner of the Terrace? May be where the revolving confusion comes in.

Old 06-03-2008, 06:35 PM

311 posts, read 1,754,940 times
Default Rooftop dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
Wasn't the Gourmet Room kind of circular and didn't it perch on top of the East corner of the Terrace? May be where the revolving confusion comes in.
The Gourmet Room was popular with parents and their friends, although
I never ate there. I do recall, though, attending several outdoor brunches
several stories above ground in one of the downtown hotels. Could this
have been the Terrace Hilton?

Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 PM

116 posts, read 304,769 times
Not revolving

Queen City Survey: The Queen’s Crown Jewels

Old 06-14-2008, 06:13 AM

Okay, people, I was mistaken about the hotel/ restaurant, as well as Mike may be.

The Crown Plaza Hotel, with the Top of the Crown Restaurant, was the place I was thinking of.

It is now {or recently was, since I've never heard of the resto}, The Millenium Hotel, and Ventana's Restaurant:

Zipscene | Ventana's at the Millennium Hotel (http://www.zipscene.com/restaurants/view/125 - broken link)

Still revolves.

If I can find more links, I will post them later.

Last edited by soozycue520; 06-14-2008 at 06:16 AM.. Reason: link

Old 06-14-2008, 06:39 AM

I tried to fix the link on the other reply. Here it is:

Zipscene | Ventana's at the Millennium Hotel (http://www.zipscene.com/restaurants/view/125 - broken link)

The restaurant was also Seafood 32:

For elegant continental dining with a breathtaking panoramic view of the city, try Seafood 32. This revolving restaurant sits 32 stories high and offers tableside preparations.

Courting the Queen City

Although the hotel has a popular ground-floor bistro, at press time its revolving rooftop restaurant (Ventana's) was under renovation.

Millennium Hotel Cincinnati - Newport, Kentucky | Away.com

Apparently, now, it is a "private" dining area, presumably a banquet room:

It's 32 floors elevates to a panoramic view of the city skyline and the only revolving rooftop private dining room in the city.

Millennium Hotel Cincinnati Hotel. - Cincinnati Ohio Hotel

Okay, I think I proved my point, that although I was confused about what hotel it was, there IS/WAS a revolving restaurant in downtown Cincinnati.

I know I had been to the Top of the Crown to eat free shrimp, carved roast beef, and other appetizers and watch Shirley Jester. And, I knew the upper level restaurant revolved.

Sorry for my confusion !

Old 06-14-2008, 04:21 PM

116 posts, read 304,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soozycue520 View Post
I tried to fix the link on the other reply. Here it is:

The restaurant was also Seafood 32:

For elegant continental dining with a breathtaking panoramic view of the city, try Seafood 32. This revolving restaurant sits 32 stories high and offers tableside preparations.

Courting the Queen City

Although the hotel has a popular ground-floor bistro, at press time its revolving rooftop restaurant (Ventana's) was under renovation.

Millennium Hotel Cincinnati - Newport, Kentucky | Away.com

Apparently, now, it is a "private" dining area, presumably a banquet room:

It's 32 floors elevates to a panoramic view of the city skyline and the only revolving rooftop private dining room in the city.

Millennium Hotel Cincinnati Hotel. - Cincinnati Ohio Hotel

Okay, I think I proved my point, that although I was confused about what hotel it was, there IS/WAS a revolving restaurant in downtown Cincinnati.

I know I had been to the Top of the Crown to eat free shrimp, carved roast beef, and other appetizers and watch Shirley Jester. And, I knew the upper level restaurant revolved.

Sorry for my confusion !
I'm glad this is cleared up. I knew that I dined at a revolving restaurant in downtown, and knew it wasn't the Gourmet Room. We ate there when it was Seafood 32.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati