Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2022, 10:12 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,466,038 times

Advertisements

https://www.journal-news.com/what-to...PZOBI7RZQEGQ4/

Quote:
Differing operators changed up entertainment options at park

Like most everything in our world since 1972, Kings Island has gone through many transformations and additions.

But the other things in our lives haven’t been witnessed and experienced by millions as the well-attended Kings Island has been for the last 50 years.

The first version of Kings Island was carved out of farmland and woods in Warren County, only to set a stage for decades of coming additions to the popular amusement park.

From a series of expansions, new structures, new rides and the addition of a water park, Kings Island has seen many changes in the last half century.

It's been fun going to KI since the beginning
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2022, 10:51 PM

42,006 posts, read 75,385,949 times
My favorite coaster at Kings Island was the stand up coaster, King Cobra. What a wild ride that was!

Before the park opened for the season, it would invite the local media in for the day so we could give publicity to the new rides etc. I still have the towel we all got when the water park opened, and a plastic cup from the year King Cobra opened.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:30 PM

191 posts, read 315,014 times
At one time I worked with some structural engineers who refused to ride the King Cobra, thinking the design was bad. I rode it once for that added thrill factor.

Old 04-11-2022, 11:02 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,672,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
At one time I worked with some structural engineers who refused to ride the King Cobra, thinking the design was bad. I rode it once for that added thrill factor.
Our parents used to take us to KI once per year, usually in July, I remember when the King Cobra debuted, everyone in the park was buzzing about it, everyone seemed to be scared to ride it, but those who had rode it, LOVED it! (myself included), I think it was due to the standing up part, that was something totally new to people back then.

I remember our parents really liked the white water rafting ride, as soon as the gates opened, everyone would run to the ride they wanted to ride first, and at the end of the day, we all met at the arcade area and ate Wendys, and rode the Scrambler together for the last ride of the day. At lunch we always had LaBullBoxer31 pizza and sat down to watch the fountain as we ate.

I also remember when it was getting close to shut down time, me and my siblings would ride the old fashioned cars over and over again, until the operators shut it down for the night, there was no lines then and the operators would let us keep going.

This was back in the mid to late 80s, I really enjoyed KI, everything was so clean and well maintained, the grounds were perfect. My mother used to like the live shows they put on ( I believe this was very close to the Eiffel tower, sort of off to the right behind the tower.

Some other of my faves from those days,

The big colorful slide, and junkers jalopies, another driver ride, but more sporty than the old fashioned cars. I was also in my pre teen years then and I remember the New Wave store they had, (in the arcade, close to the Scrambler), they always had new wave music going, and breakdancers, lots of black leather, beret hats, spiked wrist bands, etc. LOL Also loved the beast and beastie, both were so rough, but it was good kind of rough...I can still remember that smell of heavy grease and wood when riding the beast.

My dads fave ride was the Safari tram, he liked the air conditioning the most I think, it was a nice cool break from the HOT july weather, but I remember the line for the Safari was always HUGE and took forever. The line for the Vortex back then was also huge, but that always went pretty fast, I think they had 4 trains going at once.

What great memories! I wish my parents would have taken more pictures back then.

Old 04-13-2022, 11:14 AM

42,006 posts, read 75,385,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blickcd View Post
Well, there was a reason it was dismantled ...

I liked the loop, the way your knees buckled when you hit the top of the loop and all your weight was carried by the shoulder harness. A pretty cool sensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPr...el=KingsIsland

Old 04-15-2022, 10:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,672,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Well, there was a reason it was dismantled ...

I liked the loop, the way your knees buckled when you hit the top of the loop and all your weight was carried by the shoulder harness. A pretty cool sensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTPr...el=KingsIsland
I dont remember there being safety or structural problems with the King Cobra, didnt KI just decide to sell it off, because they were going to re do that whole area soon, (and the King Cobra didnt really fit the theme they were going for)...if you recall, the Safari tram was right next to the Cobra, and that whole area had sort of a loose 'jungle theme'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: