Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2021, 05:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,230 times

Advertisements

Sorry for the weird title, but this may sound a tad different.

I live on St. Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, and I'm preparing to retire in June 2023... guess where I want to retire to... lol

I've never been to Cincinnati, but when I was figuring out what I want in retirement, it scored really high. I've Googled and Wikipedia'd the heck out of your city, and I've calculated utility rates, rents, taxes and more.

Cincinnati checks a lot of boxes for me, and after living down here in the Caribbean for a dozen years, I really miss the seasons. I spent most of my life in Atlanta and loved the fall especially, and I was born in Chicago and I've always been fascinated with snow (when it's reasonable).

I also miss professional sports, especially baseball... and I grew of age during the Big Red Machine before becoming a diehard Braves fan.

Cincinnati has a lot of energy packed into a little area, and there seems to be a lot going on that can keep an active, young retiree occupied and engaged. Wikipedia also says 49% of major U.S. cities are within a 24-hour drive of Cincinnati, and that's a huge plus, because my family is spread out into Chicago, Nashville, Raleigh and, soon, Columbus...

Just wanted to introduce myself and let you know I'm on this board to learn more. My "plan" at this point is to get a 1BR in a Downtown high-rise, some season tickets to the Reds (Jesse Winker!) and exist on about $3,000/month fixed income.

Does that sound feasible? I know I could do it if I stayed down here, and the cost of living from having to get everything shipped in is about 30% higher in the USVI than it is there. I've run the numbers repeatedly and it works on paper.

My oldest daughter graduated from The Ohio State University and told me Skyline was the most vile chili she ever attempted to eat. Like I said, I've never been to Cincinnati, but I promise at least try a bowl of it to make my own mind up about it... also, my German roots run deeper than hers, lol.

Looking forward to learning even more about my future home....

Gerry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2021, 04:03 PM

189 posts, read 310,122 times
Yes it is feasible. Of course you will get more for your money if you aren't right downtown.

Old 10-28-2021, 06:23 PM
on3

498 posts, read 385,242 times
If skyline is vile thank goodness she didn’t try Gold Star.

Blue Ash chili is what you want.

Old 11-03-2021, 04:38 AM

224 posts, read 297,352 times
$3,000 a month would go farther if you're willing to live away from downtown. You will have to go to another part of town for a decent grocery store. But downtown is probably doable depending on your other expenses.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:03 AM

183 posts, read 197,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfit Toy View Post
$3,000 a month would go farther if you're willing to live away from downtown. You will have to go to another part of town for a decent grocery store. But downtown is probably doable depending on your other expenses.

There is a Kroger @ 100 Court Street right downtown that is easily accessible as it is on the streetcar route. If you're driving, they have free parking for any shoppers up on the 3rd floor of the connected public parking garage. The streetcar also takes you directly to Findlay Market in OTR. Obtaining quality groceries downtown is no problem at all.

Last edited by Nomomo07; 11-03-2021 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Added more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati