Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2021, 10:38 AM

5 posts, read 6,561 times

Advertisements

I'm a 50-something woman looking to buy a second home in Cincinnati, for my increasingly frequent visits to my aging parents and other family in the area. I grew up in Cincinnati but have lived on the east coast for the past 30+ years so my neighborhood impressions are really outdated.

I would like to find a diverse, friendly, liberal (for Cincinnati) neighborhood within about 20 minutes of Hyde Park, with some preference for the east side since that's where most of my extended family is. A community of small older homes, where people are community-minded and won't be unwelcoming to me and my same-sex spouse, would be ideal. My current neighborhood in Philly is basically a lot of hippies in ca. 1900 houses with a live-and-let-live vibe, organic veggie gardens on the front lawn, and regular community events like ice cream socials and July 4 parades, so that's my idea of a welcoming neighborhood. The neighborhood doesn't need to be especially "vibrant" or nightlife-oriented, and schools aren't a direct consideration, but I want to maintain the resale value. I will have family maintaining the property when we aren't staying there, but since this won't be a fulltime residence a safe neighborhood where neighbors look out for each other is a priority. I'd like to stay under $200K for a small (really small is OK) 2 bedroom single family home with a pet-friendly yard. I'm not interested in a serious fixer-upper.

Norwood would be perfect in terms of location and housing stock, but my (30+ year old) impression is that we might have trouble fitting in. Madisonville looks to be a possibility but everything I've seen needs substantial work. I know people will suggest Northside, and I know it's changed an awful lot since I last lived in Cincinnati, but I think I'd be paying for neighborhood atmosphere we wouldn't really utilize given how we'll be using the home.

So what neighborhoods should I be considering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2021, 02:29 PM

224 posts, read 297,240 times
Northside and Madisonville would have been my first suggestions. The only other place I can think of that might fit the bill is O'Bryonville, though I'm not sure how much houses go for there.

Old 10-03-2021, 07:00 PM

2,543 posts, read 2,863,541 times
Pleasant Ridge and Silverton should be on your list.

Old 10-04-2021, 05:45 AM

53 posts, read 127,711 times
I'm 55 and grew up in Norwood, it not the city of 30 years ago. It's definitely diverse now - hard to tell where Norwood begins and Cincinnati proper ends... for better or worse.

Old 10-04-2021, 09:59 AM

5 posts, read 6,561 times
I'm quite surprised to hear that a liberal same-sex couple would feel welcome in Norwood! That's a big change from my impressions.

Old 10-05-2021, 07:46 AM

53 posts, read 127,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akamilkcat View Post
I'm quite surprised to hear that a liberal same-sex couple would feel welcome in Norwood! That's a big change from my impressions.
I'm not liberal nor part of a same- sex couple but my friends who are love Norwood. I mentioned this post to them last night. Their point is Norwood is central to everything, has a good stock of solid homes and they haven't had any issues since moving there. Their street is a mix of older folks and young professional families who couldn't afford Hyde Park prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati