Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:59 PM

21 posts, read 144,608 times

Advertisements

I am sure most of you know more about Cincinnati for the mid 1980's through the 1990's than I do. Does anyone have any stories about it. For instance, what Riverfront was like? Or When Jerry Springer was our Mayor? Or even, our News Anchor for that matter? Just want to start a thread about what Cincinnati was like when I a kid.

Also does anyone know the name of the guy that did the kids show for channel 19 he was wore glasses and had short curly hair. I think he may have became a news anchor at some point but not really sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 02:01 PM

279 posts, read 717,624 times
You might be talking about Michael Flannery...haha I remember he was at a house on Drake in Oakley giving out candy for Halloween one year. "Freeze Frame!"

Old 08-12-2010, 02:12 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,204 times
Let's see, I believe Bicentennial Commons was completed somewhere around 1988-1990. It was the start in my opinion of the re-birth of Cincinnati and downtown.

Jerry Springer was on WLWT ("Take care of yourself and each other") with Norma Rashid. It was actually my favorite newscast at that time. I think he left somewhere around 1993 to do his show. I remember his show was originally nothing like it is now - think more Phil Donahue and less Morton Downey Jr.

Downtown was dead on the weekends and nothing like it is today. Hardly a restaurant besides the Maisonette was open after business hours (a few, but not many) and the hotspot at night was Caddy's and Flanigans (I still miss those two).

Riverfront Stadium I believe became Cinergy Field at that time and there was also an Old Spaghetti Factory.

Oh yea, and the Reds were champions and the Bengals could play some ball (until the 90's rolled around).

Old 08-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubby513 View Post
You might be talking about Michael Flannery...haha I remember he was at a house on Drake in Oakley giving out candy for Halloween one year. "Freeze Frame!"
that takes me back, freeze frame how could I forget that? I remember him on saturdays as a kid!

Old 08-12-2010, 10:11 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,542,004 times
Second Street was awesome...Caddy's, Flanigan's, Sleep Out Louie's. There was an alternative music bar that I used to go on the other side of the street near all of the produce warehouses that I forget the name of. For a time there was a big dance club in Longworth Hall, and who could forget that the Old Spaghetti Factory used to be down there?

Yes, Jerry and "Normer" and Channel 5 ruled the 80s. It was the days of shoulder pads and "take care of yourselves, and each other." The Reds were still on broadcast TV, and all was good with the world. Al Shottlekotte was a fading memory, and Bob Braun was singing his swan song...only to be briefly ressurected by Pat Berry trying to do a live show from the lobby of the Westin! Hah!

Old 08-13-2010, 07:43 AM

Does anyone remember WLWT: All Star Cincinnati Night Before Christmas, you can see it on youtube... Basically it was anyone that was anyone in Cincinnati telling the Christmas Story. Each person had a sentence... It had people like Marge Schott, Buddy LaRosa, Icky Woods, Ted Gregory, even the Qwik Brothers. Check it out on youtube this is the link
YouTube - WLWT: All-Star Cincinnati Night Before Christmas

Old 09-22-2010, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 24,887 times
I remember going to The Metro in Ruth Lyons Lane, which was THE hip alternative club. There was also Beat Club in Clifton, which was in kind of a strip mall. There was also Cory's on McMillan which was the only "real" blues/jazz bar in town in those days (like '86-'89).

I liked eating at Incahoots in Clifton and would sometimes go dancing at Longworth's in Mt.Adams, but it was pretty cramped if I remember correctly. I moved to Boston in 1990 but still have some fond memories of the '80s in Cinci.

Old 09-22-2010, 02:55 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcon98 View Post
I remember going to The Metro in Ruth Lyons Lane, which was THE hip alternative club. There was also Beat Club in Clifton, which was in kind of a strip mall. There was also Cory's on McMillan which was the only "real" blues/jazz bar in town in those days (like '86-'89).

I liked eating at Incahoots in Clifton and would sometimes go dancing at Longworth's in Mt.Adams, but it was pretty cramped if I remember correctly. I moved to Boston in 1990 but still have some fond memories of the '80s in Cinci.
I'm sure you probably stopped at Prime Time/Burgundy's a time or two. That somehow became our hang out before it started to get rough.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:56 AM

350 posts, read 879,969 times
What? Clifton had at least 10-15 decent bars/clubs that were packed on weekends without safety issues there now. OTR had the Warehouse which was um interesting and open til 5 am. Clifton went straight to hell after the riots in 2001.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:41 PM

865 posts, read 1,472,023 times
Has anyone else seen the movie "Airborne," that was shot in Cincinnati in the early 90's? Jack Black and Seth Green were in it.

I know it's kind of a corny movie, but it is still interesting to watch(and one of my favorites). There are some good shots in NKY, Eden Park, West High, Longworth Hall, Pompilios, and others. It is on Youtube in sections if anyone wants to watch it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: