Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 AM

1 posts, read 9,039 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Cincy and have three kids, one of whom is autistic, and one of whom is HUGELY gifted. So, we need a school district that can do a great job with both of those needs. We can spend around $250-$350 for a house....anyone with expereince with special needs kids and gifted kids in those schools?

Also, any thoughts on Northern KY schools for special needs kids?

Husband will be commuting to downtown Cincy for work, so we can't be too far out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:07 AM

351 posts, read 1,874,003 times
Hi Bubbymommy! Your questions cover a couple of topics that have come up on this forum recently, concerning either gifted students or special needs students. You might want to scroll down for earlier answers to either question.

To add to what has been provided on earlier posts, I've gone on record supporting the Princeton City School District, which does a very good job at both ends. For the gifted, the district has an advanced track (APT) in primary and middle school and International Baccalaureate in the high school. There are excellent language, music and art courses available also.

The district has a variety of special needs programs available, including some feeder schools which deal with developmentally challenged kids to varying degrees. As possible, the schools seem to try to cater to students in their community school (although one school seems to bus in the more challenging (nonverbal) students. I was a substitute in the district for a couple of years, and had occasion to work with autistic students who were working their way up through the grades, in a number of the elementary schools and the Middle School. Their "fit" in the grade and school was heartwarming.

While Princeton has a rather bad rap in the city, it seems to be mostly for the middling education of the middling child. The district has the highest per capita expenditure in the area, which reflects, I think, the extent to which they serve a wide spectrum of children. The elementary schools have all been rebuilt in the past few years and provide an excellent, state-of-the-art atmosphere. The district is also very big on community schools. Those of us who grew up in the district, and those who work in the district, feel very strongly that Princeton affords an excellent education at all levels. As measured by the test scores, however, the results aren't impressive. But that's what you get when you have a diverse student body from a wide array of socio-economic backgrounds.

Within your price range and in the Princeton district, you might want to look at Glendale (The Village of Glendale, Ohio), a historic village. Homes are both old and new, with large trees and yards, no income tax, a village square with bakery and restaurants, and a real community feel. Kids on bikes, soccer, parks... it's a great place to raise a family!

Good luck with your search; you've got options in Cincinnati and will find something that suits you well.

Old 05-17-2008, 03:48 PM

6 posts, read 20,646 times
Work with children with autism, and they are in the Forest Hills School District (Anderson-East side of Cincy), also Madeira School District is great in this area as well. These are very nice communities, and would fit within your price range.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:36 PM

205 posts, read 984,496 times
You may want to check into Kenton County Schools and particularly Summit View Elementary and Middle Schools. I know they have a pretty extensive special needs program and it may be worth a call to them.

The advantage - assuming that they fit the bill educationally - would be that housing prices in Northern Kentucky seem to be more reasonable than Cincinnati and you may get more "bang for your buck". There are a couple of subdivisions near the Summit View Campus where you could get an incredible home in the price range you mention.

Old 07-14-2008, 08:40 PM

35 posts, read 97,763 times
Default your situation just like my best friends

Think about the Mariemont School District...specifically in Mariemont or Terrace Park. My best friend has a daughter with special needs and a son who is gifted, and she did a TON of research, and chose to live in Terrace Park. You won't get a hugh house for the money, but you can afford to live here, and what you lack in space you will more than make up for in the community. My friends has lived here 3 years and said weekly that it was the best decision she ever made. 20 minute commute to downtown, and you can just take back roads. My friends is a rights activist with for special needs families, so she really knows her stuff.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 8,918 times
You also may want to contact the Kelly O'Leary Center at Cincinnati Children's, they may be able to provide more information. The phone number is 513-636-5340 or 1-800-344-2462, ext. 6-5340. The website has a great deal of local information: (Autism Spectrum Disorders, Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center). You might also be able to find more information through the Autism Society of Greater Cincinnati- [SIZE=2]www.autismcincy.org.
[/SIZE]

Old 08-26-2008, 12:48 PM

246 posts, read 1,049,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbymommy View Post
We are moving to Cincy and have three kids, one of whom is autistic, and one of whom is HUGELY gifted. So, we need a school district that can do a great job with both of those needs. We can spend around $250-$350 for a house....anyone with expereince with special needs kids and gifted kids in those schools?

Also, any thoughts on Northern KY schools for special needs kids?

Husband will be commuting to downtown Cincy for work, so we can't be too far out.
I'm probably too late to the discussion here, but one of my children is also autistic. We live in Deer Park and have been very happy with the services the district has provided, despite its small size. We also appreciate that -- because of the district's small size -- our son will basically be with the same kids throughout his school career. We hope this will help his peers get to know him better -- and appreciate him more fully -- than they might otherwise in a larger district with tons of different kids in his classes year after year.

The Deer Park school district received an award last year from the local chapter of the Autism Society for its work with special needs kids.

Feel free to send me a Direct Message on the topic if you wish to discuss it further.

Old 09-02-2008, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 8,751 times
Smile LINDEN GROVE SCHOOL in DEER PARK

This school is specialized in dealing with children with special needs. They are located on the site of St. Savior (with no religious affiliation). My child has gone there for three years and has excelled tremendously academically and socially. He is autistic. [URL="http://www.lindengroveschool.org"]WWW.lindengroveschool.org[/URL]
They accept kids from all areas of the tri-state.
You should definately check it out.

Old 09-02-2008, 04:00 PM

246 posts, read 1,049,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasciwn View Post
This school is specialized in dealing with children with special needs. They are located on the site of St. Savior (with no religious affiliation). My child has gone there for three years and has excelled tremendously academically and socially. He is autistic. WWW.lindengroveschool.org
They accept kids from all areas of the tri-state.
You should definately check it out.
I concur with this post. Though my son is mainstreamed in the Deer Park School District, I know plenty of people in the local autism community who send their kids to Linden Grove. The school comes highly recommended.

Old 12-11-2014, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 4,106 times
I am looking for a school in northern ky that would helo with son who has down syndrome and is having behavior issues any suggestions on school
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati