Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 05:53 PM

13 posts, read 16,553 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have been away from Cincinnati since 1996 and are now returning since our twins will be entering 7th grade in the fall of 2021. We lived in Blue Ash, where I grew up, and then moved around the country and have been on the east coast of Florida since 2015. We will be keeping our current house for winter trips and ultimately snow birding. (That’s the plan of this writing) we are so excited to return. We were east siders!

The twins were both accepted at The School of Creative and Performing Arts but are wait-listed as of March 2nd. We could not afford a place that was acceptable to us in The Cincinnati school district and were concerned about not getting into Walnut Hills as a fallback option . We were mainly considering the east side or north side but the west side grabbed us. How odd, with our history of the east side. It is so ‘non Cincinnati of us.’

We are completely different people and the house pretty much sold us. We will be in Green Township on Sunburst Ridge Ln. if SCPA does not work out then Oak Hills schools is very exciting to us.

This is where I need help. I’d appreciate help in finding unique and things not to miss on the west side.

- parks and green spaces to haunt
- fun, unique restaurants and bars
- ways to get plugged in and volunteer

Please share other lessons and thoughts. We have a lot to learn.

I remember growing up and thinking that 10 minute drives for something was just too much. We now drive 30 minutes for just about anything. I guess this is why we chose a neighborhood that was 10 minutes from the highway and feel ok with that. We are so thrilled to have the twins have the experience of grades 7-12 in the Cincinnati area.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 08:59 AM

575 posts, read 1,372,329 times
Default some restaurants

These are some of the restaurants we like:

Buddha Barn in Sayler Park
Buddha Barn Thai

Patrick's in Hooven
https://www.patricksfamily.com/

Ron's Roost in Bridgetown
https://www.ronsroost.net/

Santorini's in Cheviot
https://www.facebook.com/Santorini-F...-121895249744/

Snow's Tavern in Dry Ridge/Colerain Township
Snows Lakeside Tavern Cincinnati, OH

We buy some fruit and vegetables every few weeks at the FreeStore/Foodbank truck that comes to Sayler Park every Tuesday afternoon. It's at the corner of Monitor Avenue and Gracely Drive.
https://www.facebook.com/healthyharvestmobilemarket/

The movie theaters I go to are:

Cinemark in Dent. Although other Cinemarks are open daily, this one is open only on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
https://www.cinemark.com/theatres/oh...stern-hills-14

Greendale Cinema in Greendale. This is an individual complex owned by the Perfects of Perfect's North Slopes in Lawrenceburg. It shows not just popular movies but also some more artsy oddball films.
Greendale Cinema

Parkland Theatre in Sayler Park. This is a single screen theater owned by Ed Miller. Not only does he show family and superhero movies, he also occasionally shows saint and religious-themed movies, and some of those are free.
Parkland Theatre - Cincinnati Ohio, Movies, Live Entertainment, family events, birthdays

If you're looking for a collectible/junk store, try Auctions by Maggie. Maggie Beckmeyer died a number of years ago, and the proprietors now go to estate sales and buy up "stuff." The address is 3350 Harrison Ave. in Cheviot, but I can't find a website for it.

Mom likes the Green Township walking trail between Hutchinson Road and Oakdale Elementary. It runs on what used to be railroad tracks, and there is at least one old mile marker along it.
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/o...and-walk-trail

Old 03-03-2021, 09:27 AM

Default little free libraries

I began a Little Free Library separate group at nextdoor.com. It is for Greater Cincinnati and anyone can join. But you will probably have to register with nextdoor to see the list.
https://nextdoor.com/g/gwv1uvpoe/?is=nav_bar

Others and I have found many of them hidden away in all parts of town. Once you get settled you might want to go for a drive looking for them--there are a number nearby.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:13 PM

Thanks for all your input! I've started a data document to refer to in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
I began a Little Free Library separate group at nextdoor.com. It is for Greater Cincinnati and anyone can join. But you will probably have to register with nextdoor to see the list.
https://nextdoor.com/g/gwv1uvpoe/?is=nav_bar

Others and I have found many of them hidden away in all parts of town. Once you get settled you might want to go for a drive looking for them--there are a number nearby.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:43 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,087,611 times
I'm a little confused. Are you zoned for Oak Hills Schools or CPS? SCPA is a magnet school for CPS, so if you bought a home in CPS, I don't think you can do Oak Hills. Vice versa if you live in Oak Hills zone. Most suburban schools do not have open enrollment.

Based on Sunburst Ridge Lane's location, you appear to be squarely in Oak Hills School District.

Old 03-05-2021, 01:22 PM

1. We grew up in Cincinnati and SCPA has been on our radar for the twins.
2. We live in Florida now and all during the audition process. We KNEW we wanted to return.
3. We auditioned the kids for SCPA and they were both accepted on the merits of their ability. There is a waiting list with pecking order a. in district b. in state c. out of state.
4. We attempted to find something we liked IN DISTRICT and could not.
5. We purchased out of district in the Oak Hills district.
6. If we somehow make it off the waiting list we will attend SCPA as an in state (no tuition).

We are open to enroll but the chances of getting off the waiting list are few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I'm a little confused. Are you zoned for Oak Hills Schools or CPS? SCPA is a magnet school for CPS, so if you bought a home in CPS, I don't think you can do Oak Hills. Vice versa if you live in Oak Hills zone. Most suburban schools do not have open enrollment.

Based on Sunburst Ridge Lane's location, you appear to be squarely in Oak Hills School District.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:56 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,087,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aedb15t View Post
1. We grew up in Cincinnati and SCPA has been on our radar for the twins.
2. We live in Florida now and all during the audition process. We KNEW we wanted to return.
3. We auditioned the kids for SCPA and they were both accepted on the merits of their ability. There is a waiting list with pecking order a. in district b. in state c. out of state.
4. We attempted to find something we liked IN DISTRICT and could not.
5. We purchased out of district in the Oak Hills district.
6. If we somehow make it off the waiting list we will attend SCPA as an in state (no tuition).

We are open to enroll but the chances of getting off the waiting list are few.
Ah. Did not know about item # 3 on that list. Good to know. I wonder if Walnut Hills High School is that way as well?

Knowing that, I think you made a good decision. Homes are hard to find right now, no matter where you are. I am not surprised as everything in decent shape in decent neighborhoods inside the city are being snatched up. My brother is currently priced out of the market and forced to rent as a result, especially since he wants a house but does not really want to live way out in Monroe or Walton.

Oak Hills is a decent area. My only problem with Green Township as well as parts of Delhi Township, is there are not as many shopping options on the west side as in NKY or east or north burbs. For some that can be a deal breaker but for others not so much.

Of the shopping places, the primary one I would consider is Harrison Ave from Glenway Crossing or Western Hills on out towards 275/74. I figure, from what I hear of other people with family on the west side, is they either go towards West Chester or Florence/Crestview Hills if it isn't found on Harrison (or at Stone Creek, see below). With the Brent Spence work going on until November, you are better off going to West Chester, taking the 275 loop through Indiana and loop back towards Hebron/CVG/Crestview, or taking the Anderson Ferry across the Ohio River (recommend the toll ferry at least once as the kids would probably get a kick out of it).

I would not recommend the Colerain Avenue area, especially south of Northgate Mall. When you hit the Ronald Regan and Colerain interchange, by the Walmart, I have heard more negative stories than positive for that area with regards to crime. The further north you go, the better the area. But the corridor itself is old (was old back when I would go to Colerain HS for events in the early 00's). Northgate Mall itself is not in the best shape either (really none of the older Cincinnati malls are, Kenwood being the lone exception). The new Kroger and Stone Creek Town Center are fine with some mix of chain restaurants and shops.

Truth be told, as more development has happened further out on the edges of Colerain and Green Townships and towards Cleves, Harrison and Ross, that there is not more shopping being developed out there, even before COVID hit. Part of that may be changing patterns in purchasing and some due to lack of large, flat plots of land near major highways.

Old 03-09-2021, 07:16 AM

Thanks for the input. Outside of groceries and the appreciation for local shops, we don't do much shopping offline. One of the first things I looked up was an Aldi and found one that isn't too far.

The one thing I find myself wanting is an LA Fitness that is close. I guess the club just over the river is the closest. We have paid memberships that carry out for a couple of years still.

I heard about that ferry and we will try it out. We have some family that lives in Hebron and will undoubtedly try it out

I look forward to driving around out west. The east/west divide in Cincinnati is so profound that (sadly) I just didn't leave the east side before exiting the area in 1996. It's such an odd dynamic that I haven't found outside of the Queen City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Ah. Did not know about item # 3 on that list. Good to know. I wonder if Walnut Hills High School is that way as well?

Knowing that, I think you made a good decision. Homes are hard to find right now, no matter where you are. I am not surprised as everything in decent shape in decent neighborhoods inside the city are being snatched up. My brother is currently priced out of the market and forced to rent as a result, especially since he wants a house but does not really want to live way out in Monroe or Walton.

Oak Hills is a decent area. My only problem with Green Township as well as parts of Delhi Township, is there are not as many shopping options on the west side as in NKY or east or north burbs. For some that can be a deal breaker but for others not so much.

Of the shopping places, the primary one I would consider is Harrison Ave from Glenway Crossing or Western Hills on out towards 275/74. I figure, from what I hear of other people with family on the west side, is they either go towards West Chester or Florence/Crestview Hills if it isn't found on Harrison (or at Stone Creek, see below). With the Brent Spence work going on until November, you are better off going to West Chester, taking the 275 loop through Indiana and loop back towards Hebron/CVG/Crestview, or taking the Anderson Ferry across the Ohio River (recommend the toll ferry at least once as the kids would probably get a kick out of it).

I would not recommend the Colerain Avenue area, especially south of Northgate Mall. When you hit the Ronald Regan and Colerain interchange, by the Walmart, I have heard more negative stories than positive for that area with regards to crime. The further north you go, the better the area. But the corridor itself is old (was old back when I would go to Colerain HS for events in the early 00's). Northgate Mall itself is not in the best shape either (really none of the older Cincinnati malls are, Kenwood being the lone exception). The new Kroger and Stone Creek Town Center are fine with some mix of chain restaurants and shops.

Truth be told, as more development has happened further out on the edges of Colerain and Green Townships and towards Cleves, Harrison and Ross, that there is not more shopping being developed out there, even before COVID hit. Part of that may be changing patterns in purchasing and some due to lack of large, flat plots of land near major highways.

Old 03-11-2021, 11:14 AM

Default more details

There is a dearth of shopping for misses and women's clothing, particularly in larger sizes. You have Gabe's, Kohl's, Target and TJ Maxx. Not sure if the clothing in Kroger, Meijer or Walmart count! I miss McAlpin's/Dillard's, Sears/Kmart, Shillito's/Lazarus/Macy's, Mabley & Carew/Pogue's and even the umpteen discount department stores such as Ontario, Gold Circle, Swallen's, etc.
There are some places to buy books but nothing like being able to browse at a large bookstore if you are looking for a wide selection. The closest such places are Ollie's, Walmart and Meijer, with lots of paperback bestsellers and easy children's books at the supermarkets and pharmacies.
For more unusual shopping places, there are:
Bernen's Convalescent Pharmacy, 5053 Glenway Ave., Covedale. A huge supply of medical equipment for individuals. (Plus there are all those Pink Panthers!). https://www.bernens.com/
Black Plastic Records, 6470 Glenway Ave., Bridgetown. Sells contemporary LPs. (I am so glad that record albums have returned!). https://www.facebook.com/blackplasticrecords/
Classic Audio, Video & Stereo, 3315 Harrison Ave., Cheviot. Old stereo equipment, music and movies. https://classic-audio-video-stereo.b...edium=referral
Ferguson's Antique Mall, 4937 Glenway Ave., Covedale. Cincinnati's Family Owned and Operated Antique Shop
Inner Blessings, 4002 Harrison Ave., Cheviot. Larger religious store and many books, fiction and non-fiction. Inner Blessings Christian Books & Gifts Contact Us Information | Inner Blessings Christian Books & Gifts
Road to the Past Collectibles, 4486 Harrison Ave., Bridgetown. Lots of past and present action figures, and a few dolls. https://www.facebook.com/RoadtothePastCollectibles/
Treasure Alley, 3034 Harrison Ave., Cheviot. Antique store.
Trinity Church Supply, 5479 North Bend Road, Monfort Heights. Small store of religious items. https://www.trinitychurchsupply.com/
Western Hills Photo & Hobby, 6319 Glenway Ave., Westwood. Cameras and photo equipment and film! Also sells model trains. https://www.facebook.com/WesternHillsPhotoHobby/
Also the United Dairy Farmers at 3360 Glenmore Ave., Cheviot, is the only place nearby that sells the daily and Sunday New York Times! (No, I don't know why, and yes, I am aware of the bad reputation this store has, although I've never had any problems there.)

Last edited by skippercollector; 03-11-2021 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-11-2021, 04:31 PM

Thank you. I will add to my list.

I'm confused. Why does UDF have a bad reputation? United Dairy Farmers in Blue Ash was my go-to place for baseball cards and ice-cream!! We still make it a point to stop in for their malts whenever we are in town. YUM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
There is a dearth of shopping for misses and women's clothing, particularly in larger sizes. You have Gabe's, Kohl's, Target and TJ Maxx. Not sure if the clothing in Kroger, Meijer or Walmart count! I miss McAlpin's/Dillard's, Sears/Kmart, Shillito's/Lazarus/Macy's, Mabley & Carew/Pogue's and even the umpteen discount department stores such as Ontario, Gold Circle, Swallen's, etc.
There are some places to buy books but nothing like being able to browse at a large bookstore if you are looking for a wide selection. The closest such places are Ollie's, Walmart and Meijer, with lots of paperback bestsellers and easy children's books at the supermarkets and pharmacies.
For more unusual shopping places, there are:
Bernen's Convalescent Pharmacy, 5053 Glenway Ave., Covedale. A huge supply of medical equipment for individuals. (Plus there are all those Pink Panthers!). https://www.bernens.com/
Black Plastic Records, 6470 Glenway Ave., Bridgetown. Sells contemporary LPs. (I am so glad that record albums have returned!). https://www.facebook.com/blackplasticrecords/
Classic Audio, Video & Stereo, 3315 Harrison Ave., Cheviot. Old stereo equipment, music and movies. https://classic-audio-video-stereo.b...edium=referral
Ferguson's Antique Mall, 4937 Glenway Ave., Covedale. Cincinnati's Family Owned and Operated Antique Shop
Inner Blessings, 4002 Harrison Ave., Cheviot. Larger religious store and many books, fiction and non-fiction. Inner Blessings Christian Books & Gifts Contact Us Information | Inner Blessings Christian Books & Gifts
Road to the Past Collectibles, 4486 Harrison Ave., Bridgetown. Lots of past and present action figures, and a few dolls. https://www.facebook.com/RoadtothePastCollectibles/
Treasure Alley, 3034 Harrison Ave., Cheviot. Antique store.
Trinity Church Supply, 5479 North Bend Road, Monfort Heights. Small store of religious items. https://www.trinitychurchsupply.com/
Western Hills Photo & Hobby, 6319 Glenway Ave., Westwood. Cameras and photo equipment and film! Also sells model trains. https://www.facebook.com/WesternHillsPhotoHobby/
Also the United Dairy Farmers at 3360 Glenmore Ave., Cheviot, is the only place nearby that sells the daily and Sunday New York Times! (No, I don't know why, and yes, I am aware of the bad reputation this store has, although I've never had any problems there.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati