Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 06:43 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anouk Lisole View Post
I've always thought Bobolink was the weirdest name for a street ever.
LOL - I grew up in that town and I never thought it was strange, but now that you bring it up, I guess it is pretty weird.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 05:20 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
Poor birds, defenseless against the names ornithologists tag on them. LOL
Speaking of tagging - who came up with Krylon Dr in Reading?! A street named for spray paint. Yeah, I'll buy one of those brick ranch houses, power washing is fun!

Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 AM

3 posts, read 10,302 times
Gotta go with Asmann near Xavier. I never know how to say it right.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:37 AM

1 posts, read 4,029 times
Mad anthony wayne street would seem to evoke road rage tendencies.

Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 AM

682 posts, read 1,629,534 times
I wish they would return back to some of the old German street names that were used before the war. Many of the streets in OTR had German names

For that matter I'd like to see St Clair Park In Fairmount in our neighborhod of Knox Hill, renamed back to Schuetzenbuckel Park. This tract of land was part of the site of a Baptist seminary established in 1851,that became and exclusive German club, the German "Schuetzen Verein" which used it as a "Schuetzenbuckel" (shooting range).

It would be nice to pay some respect to the German Community that built Cincinnati. It would make our city more interesting.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:39 PM

325 posts, read 1,125,211 times
Here in the KY mountains we have hollows ( we say holler ) , you should hear some of the names they have.....Stinking Branch , Bones Branch, Meathouse Branch, just a few.. Hyden

Old 11-21-2009, 11:15 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,832,767 times
I dunno that naming a park in Fairmount for a shooting range would be the best idea...LOL
Every time somebody buys a Christmas schnecken, or says "Please?" to have something repeated, the German settlers of Cincinnati are recognized. But I agree that a reversion to original street names and the like is a good idea. It's an American habit to demonize a group of people during troubled times, then when those times are past to not atone. (Does anybody remember the attempt to rename a classic junk food "freedom fries" to get back at France for not supporting the invasion of Iraq? That was an absurd move which deserved to fail, but had plenty of precedent - the French fry caper, that is.)
As for Mad Anthony St, I say to keep that name instead of removing the "Mad" or changing it to "Emotionally Challenged" or "Bipolar Disordered" or "ADHD" or whatever. People should be reminded of the era when mental illness stigmatized its sufferers instead of being universally recognized as a condition needing and responding to treatment just like a physical malady. (Yes, that's goyguy sarcasm at work.)
Back to street names: I used to like Rev Drive, which was an unofficial street that ran north from Mitchell Ave just west of I-75 and passed a car dealer that was there at the time. The retail space later became Becker Lighting Center and the street signs have vanished.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:21 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,192,887 times
I'm remembering sometime awhile back (howzat for vague) the city plopped signs with the original street names on top of the street signs where the names had been changed.

For instance, atop the Republic Street sign, there was a smaller one that said Bremen Street.

Does anyone else remember that, or am I hallucinating? And if I'm not, are the signs still there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goyguy View Post
As for Mad Anthony St, I say to keep that name instead of removing the "Mad" or changing it to "Emotionally Challenged" or "Bipolar Disordered" or "ADHD" or whatever.
He wasn't really mad. His underlings just didn't like him. Probably because he kept making them charge after the enemy and stuff like that.

Although his ghost is reputed to haunt the route between his birthplace/burial place outside of Philadelphia and his death place of Erie in search of his bones. That sounds pretty nuts to me.

Quote:
People should be reminded of the era when mental illness stigmatized its sufferers instead of being universally recognized as a condition needing and responding to treatment just like a physical malady. (Yes, that's goyguy sarcasm at work.)
Amen.

Old 11-25-2009, 10:58 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,586,614 times
This may not be in the Cincy area but the most ridiculous street name I heard of is Yum-Yum Tree Lane

Old 11-29-2009, 09:11 AM

526 posts, read 1,482,224 times
[quote=goyguy;11728193]
As for Mad Anthony St, I say to keep that name instead of removing the "Mad" or changing it to "Emotionally Challenged" or "Bipolar Disordered" or "ADHD" or whatever. People should be reminded of the era when mental illness stigmatized its sufferers instead of being universally recognized as a condition needing and responding to treatment just like a physical malady. (Yes, that's goyguy sarcasm at work.)

I love it GG. Thanks for the laugh!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati