Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 06:27 AM

115 posts, read 83,445 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm thinking about a trip to the Cincinnati area next year. I'd also like to visit surrounding cities including Indy, Louisville, Columbus, Lexington. I haven't decided if I want to make Cincinnati my home base and make day trips to these cities or stay in another/all locations and explore my visit that way. Initial thinking is to make Cincinnati my home base since it's pretty centrally located.

My last trip was to VA. Beautiful state, btw. Not sure if anyone if familiar with it, but I was wondering if there is there a location in the Cincinnati area that is similar to the Short Pump area of Richmond, VA? I liked that set up and made my home base in Short Pump rather than staying downtown Richmond. It was a 15 min drive to downtown Richmond. I'd be open to a downtown location but I would suspect that staying in downtown Cincinnati would be more expensive. I'd love to hear your recommendations on hotels.

Lastly, if you have any recommendations regarding food establishments that are Celiac gluten free or gluten friendly, that would be very helpful.

Again, thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 12:44 PM

90 posts, read 118,008 times
I would make Cincinnati your home base due to it basically being equidistance from each of the cities you mentioned. You could do Rookwood commons area which is about 10 min. To downtown, but I highly recommend staying in the Over The Rhine.

Last edited by Cincygrad2015; 10-22-2019 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 10-22-2019, 06:59 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincygrad2015 View Post
I would make Cincinnati your home base due to it basically being equidistance from each of the cities you mentioned. You could do Rookwood commons area which is about 10 min. To downtown, but I highly recommend staying in the Over The Rhine.
I like Rookwood Commons for proximity to CBD. But a bit more suburban & less busy is the hotel-hub around Union Center/West Chester. You're right off of I-75 which is the gateway to everywhere.
Joke in Cinti is if you ask a local for directions to get to anywhere, the first thing they'll say is, "get on I-75 and then..."
Enjoy it all!

Old 10-23-2019, 05:46 AM

183 posts, read 197,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
I like Rookwood Commons for proximity to CBD. But a bit more suburban & less busy is the hotel-hub around Union Center/West Chester. You're right off of I-75 which is the gateway to everywhere.
Joke in Cinti is if you ask a local for directions to get to anywhere, the first thing they'll say is, "get on I-75 and then..."
Enjoy it all!

I'd avoid West Chester if you're looking to stay in a more convenient area. West Chester is at least 25-30 minutes from Downtown and can be even longer when traffic backs up.

There are a number of hotels right around the University of Cincinnati that might be a better fit. Cheaper than downtown but still centrally located and close to many of the major sites to see in town.

Old 10-23-2019, 06:06 AM

Thanks all! I appreciate all the feedback and input.

Old 10-23-2019, 07:16 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
I'd look at Rookwood Commons. There are two newer hotels right off I-71, a Courtyard and a Residence Inn. Seasons 52 has a location right next door.

You could day trip to Lexington and Louisville and maybe Columbus depending on what you want to see. I would think you would be better off staying in Indianapolis and Columbus on a one or two night side trip. Columbus has a center similar to Short Pump in Easton Town Center. Rookwood is also outside with similar upper-middle end shopping but is more strip center in nature. But there are some really neat little neighborhoods nearby in Hyde Park Square, Oakley Square and Mt. Lookout. And that is besides going to the parts of Over-the-Rhine (stay south of Liberty except around Findley Market which is north of Liberty but on some decent blocks). Lots of cool restaurants and shops there. Then on the south side of downtown is The Banks development and a well designed park along the Ohio River stretching from Paul Brown Stadium well upriver past US Bank Arena.

Many of the restaurants in OTR are yuppie or hipster oriented in nature, so I am sure you will find plenty of places there that are unique and can provide a gluten free / gluten friendly experience.

Old 11-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Question for you all...

This is what I'm thinking so far.....

I'd like to visit the cities and suburbs of Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, and Columbus. The time I would have is 8 nights. First time visit. Purpose of my trip: I'd say 70% is to road trip and check out the scene/areas in general, 30% would be possibly checking out places to live- so I might do some research an take some Zillow property listings and do "drive by's," so to speak. I understand that I won't be able to see and/or experience a lot of things but there'll be enough to make an impression during my 1st visit. I also understand that those areas are different in population, size, etc.

What would you recommend? Would it make sense to stay the 8 nights in Cincinnati and drive to and around these areas? Split my time? If it's split my time, what/where would that be?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:07 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,295,751 times
I think an "overnight" in/near each city would give you the best flavor of each place. Have a dinner & a breakfast in each area --- at least.

Old 11-12-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyeaux View Post
I think an "overnight" in/near each city would give you the best flavor of each place. Have a dinner & a breakfast in each area --- at least.
Thanks. That's something to think about.

Old 11-18-2019, 03:02 PM

17,569 posts, read 13,344,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pm72 View Post
Question for you all...

This is what I'm thinking so far.....

I'd like to visit the cities and suburbs of Indianapolis, Louisville, Lexington, Cincinnati, and Columbus. The time I would have is 8 nights. First time visit. Purpose of my trip: I'd say 70% is to road trip and check out the scene/areas in general, 30% would be possibly checking out places to live- so I might do some research an take some Zillow property listings and do "drive by's," so to speak. I understand that I won't be able to see and/or experience a lot of things but there'll be enough to make an impression during my 1st visit. I also understand that those areas are different in population, size, etc.

What would you recommend? Would it make sense to stay the 8 nights in Cincinnati and drive to and around these areas? Split my time? If it's split my time, what/where would that be?

Thanks in advance.

There is no way to check out the scene in a day trip

You need to spend a few days in a city to start getting a feel for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati