Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2019, 04:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

Hello,

How is the living cost in Cincinnati? I am trying to make a decision between multiple job offers in different cities. I am currently living in upstate NY half an hour from Ithaca. The town is so boring so I am trying to move to a city. I never live in Ohio before. I am currently making $80k after incentives in NY. The offer I have in Cincinnati is $103k after incentives. I know that is decent salary in most places (except San Francisco, NYC, etc), but I also have a crap ton of student debts lol. Luckily, no kids. Unluckily, no partner so only 1 source of income
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2019, 07:56 PM

90 posts, read 118,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rv16 View Post
Hello,

How is the living cost in Cincinnati? I am trying to make a decision between multiple job offers in different cities. I am currently living in upstate NY half an hour from Ithaca. The town is so boring so I am trying to move to a city. I never live in Ohio before. I am currently making $80k after incentives in NY. The offer I have in Cincinnati is $103k after incentives. I know that is decent salary in most places (except San Francisco, NYC, etc), but I also have a crap ton of student debts lol. Luckily, no kids. Unluckily, no partner so only 1 source of income
Cincinnati is one of the cheapest cities in the country, having that kind of salary you can basically live anywhere in the city that you want (assuming you are renting), also depends on how much student loan debt you have but most luxury apartments for a 1 bedroom in the city are between $1200-2000.

Old 10-15-2019, 01:34 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,091,313 times
Agree. The OP can live well on $103K +/- a year in the Cincinnati region. I would certainly rent just to get familiar with the region. The OP could rent on a single income in most places and still have plenty of disposable income for a car (like most cities in the US, a must have) and other discretionary spending (save into a retirement fund!).

Having family and friends scattered around upstate NY, I will tell you Cincinnati has a lot more to offer amenity wise. And would be more exciting than Syracuse, Rochester or Buffalo. Also, its cheaper than NYC, DC or Chicago. Though smaller than those latter three when it comes to amenities, it would be considerably larger than Elmira. And many are plesenatly surprised with the amount of stuff you can do. Plus you can easily reach other major metros (Indy, Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, Dayton) in 2-3 hours. Chicago is about 5-6 hours driving depending where in Chicago you go as well as traffic.

Old 10-16-2019, 06:14 AM

235 posts, read 288,492 times
Property prices here are a good bargain compared to the rest of the country; property taxes as a percentage of assessed value are not. The average for the entire US is 1.16% of assessed value, in Cincinnati proper it goes up to at least 2.5%. We are actually in the top 10 states in the country for tax burden. https://www.kiplinger.com/tool/taxes...inger-tax-map/

Old 10-19-2019, 03:33 PM

224 posts, read 298,049 times
I'm familiar with Elmira. You'll definitely be better off here in Cincinnati on multiple fronts. I can't imagine being young and single in Elmira. I don't know how the singles scene is here these days, but it has to be better than Elmira. You're probably paying state taxes out the nose in NY. Taxes are more reasonable here. The overall cost of living is good for a metro area this size.

Cincinnati and similar cities are becoming more attractive to young professionals as the larger, more "hip" cities are just flat out unaffordable for most people. And people have been coming here for years from more rural areas because the pace of life is too slow or because of the lack of job opportunities in rural areas.

If you feel the need to be closer to Elmira, then maybe someplace like Pittsburgh would work. Otherwise, you might as well give it a try here. My two cents.

Old 10-22-2019, 07:08 PM

2,206 posts, read 3,300,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Agree. The OP can live well on $103K +/- a year in the Cincinnati region. I would certainly rent just to get familiar with the region. The OP could rent on a single income in most places and still have plenty of disposable income for a car (like most cities in the US, a must have) and other discretionary spending (save into a retirement fund!).

Having family and friends scattered around upstate NY, I will tell you Cincinnati has a lot more to offer amenity wise. And would be more exciting than Syracuse, Rochester or Buffalo. Also, its cheaper than NYC, DC or Chicago. Though smaller than those latter three when it comes to amenities, it would be considerably larger than Elmira. And many are plesenatly surprised with the amount of stuff you can do. Plus you can easily reach other major metros (Indy, Columbus, Lexington, Louisville, Dayton) in 2-3 hours. Chicago is about 5-6 hours driving depending where in Chicago you go as well as traffic.
+++
Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati