Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2017, 09:58 PM

9 posts, read 15,996 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I will be moving to Cincinnati this upcoming summer, and I'm shooting for mid-June. When would be a good time to go apartment hunting? Looking on Zillow and Craigslist, it appears most of the listings are for "available now". Is that true even during the summer? I was planning on visiting in early May to look for apartments, but I'm afraid that may be too early. My other option is coming at the end of May/beginning of June but don't want to cut too close. What do you think is the average time to look for apartment ahead of time in Cincinnati?

Also, I'm planning on looking in Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, and Hyde Park since I have to travel to Middletown, downtown, Blue Ash, and northern Kentucky for work, so I would like to be somewhere centrally located, so all the locations are within reasonable driving time. Do you have any other suggestions on where to look? I would like a 2-bedroom (or a large 1-bedroom) in a decently safe neighborhood and would be willing to pay up to $1100/month.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2017, 06:53 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Welcome!

Most apt complexes rent out 90 days in advance at most. The one where I currently live was only 30 days in advance!
But if you are in the area and have a chance to go tour some complexes it is definitely worth it.

Given the fact you are looking into Pleasant Ridge, Oakley, and Hyde Park I'm guessing you are younger and want a more lively urban neighborhood. If that is the case, I'd highly recommend looking into Northside. Not only is it a great neighborhood, it is also conveniently located by I-75 a couple moles north of downtown which will shave off a few minutes of your commute to the places you mentioned.

Good luck!

Old 01-01-2018, 11:50 AM

235 posts, read 287,908 times
Do you have the option of coming out to check out places first? I flew out twice from Chicago before I moved to do some hands on looking here. Gives a chance to see them firsthand, and get a feel for the neighborhood. I had looked at Pleasant Ridge, but one complex that advertised having apartments finally got back to me, said they had no vacancies, yet continued to run the ad. I had gotten applications, decided on the one I wanted, and told them I'd take it and sent a check with the application. In my case it didn't live up to my expectations, because what they showed me was a different, better built and maintained building. When the people below me baby starts crying and it wakes me up along with them, I'm understandably annoyed. I'd suggest checking out https://www.apartmentratings.com to see what renters have to say.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM

27 posts, read 28,239 times
I 2nd coming to look out here. I would also say look at Gaslight Clifton. You'll have easy access to downtown, Middletown, Blue Ash, etc. from there. It's like a quaint village not far from the nightlife of O.T.R. Northside, etc., but it also has its own bars, coffeehouses, and restaurants.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:05 PM

As far as timing, March and April are the two best months.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:10 PM

9 posts, read 15,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylineorgoldstar View Post
As far as timing, March and April are the two best months.
Would that be too early if I aim to move in mid- to late June? I was planning on coming out to look at apartments in early May.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

Old 01-04-2018, 10:16 AM

Again, depends on the area. Much of the apartment leasing cycle runs on the academic calendar (e.g. August to July). The further in advance you look, the more stock you'll have advantage of. Furthermore, landladies/landlords will be more invested in you. If you come in May for a June move in your options will be obviously limited. Many good tenants let their landladies/landlords know in advance of their plans to move. Also,sometimes you find the best deals walking around. Point is,give yourself some time to look around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: