Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 09:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
I grew up on Red Bank which was just across the street from the manor. I walked to school (Eastwood Elem.) by way of Eastwood Village. Along the way, friends would join in and we would end up at school in one giant group. After school, we would stop at the drug store for a soda and we shopped at Thriftway. My mom didn't drive and when she wanted cigarettes, she would send me to the drug store with a note to buy them.

Eastwood Village eventually deteriorated. Seems like the apartments weren't being taken care of, crime went on the increase. By that time, I had finished going to Lyon Jr. High and was headed to Withrow. The times they were a'changin.

The house I grew up in still sits on the street. It is one of the only original farm houses that still exists from the age when that entire area was all farmland. I hear the school (Hillsdale/7 Hills) is buying up houses all over that area, including those on Ellmarie Drive.
When I was a student at the elementary school (about 1957), I was one of 6th grade school patrol kids. My spot was at the intersection of Red Bank Road by Ellmarie Drive. The school gave us some kind of white belt that was worn over the shoulder with a badge on it, and a hand-held stop sign. I and another classmate would be out there in the morning and then get out of school early to ride our bikes there again in the afternoon. Then when other students were heading home in that area, we'd stand out in the road to stop traffic to let the kids cross safely. I think that was the most remote location for the "school safety patrol". For some reason, we thought that was a cool thing to do.

The only teacher I remember from Eastwood Grade School was the gym teacher, Mr. Eisler. He was very nice and my parents would invite him and his wife to have dinner at our apartment once in a while.

It's too bad to hear the houses on Ellmarie Drive will disappear soon. There won't be much of anything left when they're gone.

Do you remember the abandoned house on top of the hill? It had a concrete swimming pool looking out on the view. We used to call it "Mansion Hill". I guess it's been turned into a park now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:03 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
NightBazaar, Hello again Finally have time to get back on. Mansion Hill was where we went to slide down when a big snow came . My 2 older brother let me and my sister come along. ( it never donned on us that was so we would pull it sleigh back up the hill ) One of my brothers passed away in 03 but they always got a big laugh out of what all they could get us to do.LOL....I cannot remember where Ellmore Dr. is?? I know that on down duck creek there was a little sub divsion called Swanee Trail.

RedBank Girl, What years were you at Eastwood School? I might have you in the group school picture from there. I think I started kindergarden in 58-59 year. I would have to hunt them down somewhere. NightBlazaar, You might be in the pictures from my brothers. But my oldest brother wouldn't know where to look and next oldest brother's kids have his pictures. Also my brother in one of his clas group pictures he was wearing his white belt thing with the badge on it.. I also went to Lyon but instead of Withrow I went to Courter Tech. then moved to Norwood and finished last 2 years there in class of 73. RedBank Girl, You are right about the decline of the Manor, when it changed names to Eastwood Villiage it also changed their renting rules. ( I'm not talking about color ) I'm talking about incomes...nothing could be left out anymore even in our own hallways we would have to lock our bikes up.

Old 07-09-2008, 11:07 AM

Hyden, the street RedBankGirl mentioned was Ellmarie Drive. As you left the Manor (northeast) and came to Red Bank Road, Ellmarie was directly across the road, not far from the hill.

The only farm I can remember is the one that was on the northside of Stratford Manor, which would've been on Red Bank Road. I don't know if that's the one she was talking about though. There may have been others heading toward Madison Avenue.

It seems like there were a few other drives along Red Bank Road that were the names of girls. Ellmarie Drive was one of them. As I recall, those drives were named after the daughters of someone who originally owned the land where the houses were built.

I suspect there's a class photo from when I went to Eastwood. My brother has a lot of things that my parents kept, including photos, so he might have it. I have no idea if I wore the safety patrol belt for the photo or not. I would've been in the 6th grade, and think it was just 6th graders that were chosen for 'patrol duty', and I think that was probably done every year. I'll have to check with him to see if he can locate picture.

Old 07-16-2008, 10:26 AM

Another excellent Stratford Manor photo from Hyden. This one is from 1959. Hyden can provide the details.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:51 PM

205 posts, read 983,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Another excellent Stratford Manor photo from Hyden. This one is from 1959. Hyden can provide the details.

It is another great pic.

Keep them coming if possible!

Do you remember Benkin's Florist/Greenhouse? I think it was on or very near Red Bank going toward Silverton?

Old 07-18-2008, 07:46 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post

This is my sister Carolyn Sue Cline, But we call her Dobee. We have called her that since she was about 2 yrs. old (she will be 52 ).She got the nickname from Romper Room. I might also add that she has always been a "Good Dobee".

Old 07-19-2008, 05:22 PM

107 posts, read 244,747 times
Hyden, I am almost 51 so I guess I was at Eastwood sometime in 1962 or 1963. I graduated from Withrow in 1975. I lived on the Northern end of Red Bank Rd, just north of Madison Road and Duck Creek Rd. If you were to come Daniel Drake Park and continue south you would pass on of the entrances to Eastwood Village and just across the street was Ellmarie Drive and a little further south was the house I grew up in on Red Bank. I wish I had some of the pictures you and NightBazaar had. I remember the time so clearly.
I think you mentioned Quarter Tech. Quarter Tech eventually merged with Withrow once the new Vocational Wing opened. The year I graduated, we had 1200 in our class due to the seniors from QT. Actually, just about 300 were from QT and the rest were from Withrow. Today, there is no longer a vocational building at Withrow. It was torn down this past year. Actually, the school is quite remarkable. It's architecture has been preserved both inside and out.
I am just so pleased to be talking with folks fromt he old neighborhood!

Old 07-19-2008, 05:26 PM

107 posts, read 244,747 times
I remember Benken's Florist. As you went north up Red Bank Rd you would get to a 4-way stop and turn right onto Woodford Rd. Just about a mile and you would hit the florist on the right in the bend of the road. They're still there and still owned by the Benken family. My mom still used them right up until she passed away last year. I think there was also another florist near there but I can't remember the name.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franke01 View Post
It is another great pic.

Keep them coming if possible!

Do you remember Benkin's Florist/Greenhouse? I think it was on or very near Red Bank going toward Silverton?

Franke01, I don't remember the florist/greenhouse. Would it have been past the top of the hill on Red Bank?

Edit:
Looks like RedBankGirl already answered it.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
Hyden, I am almost 51 so I guess I was at Eastwood sometime in 1962 or 1963. I graduated from Withrow in 1975. I lived on the Northern end of Red Bank Rd, just north of Madison Road and Duck Creek Rd. If you were to come Daniel Drake Park and continue south you would pass on of the entrances to Eastwood Village and just across the street was Ellmarie Drive and a little further south was the house I grew up in on Red Bank. I wish I had some of the pictures you and NightBazaar had. I remember the time so clearly.
I think you mentioned Quarter Tech. Quarter Tech eventually merged with Withrow once the new Vocational Wing opened. The year I graduated, we had 1200 in our class due to the seniors from QT. Actually, just about 300 were from QT and the rest were from Withrow. Today, there is no longer a vocational building at Withrow. It was torn down this past year. Actually, the school is quite remarkable. It's architecture has been preserved both inside and out.
I am just so pleased to be talking with folks fromt he old neighborhood!

I think we're all glad to have you share your memories about the old place too.

Was the house you grew up in south of and on the same side as Ellmarie Drive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati