Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 07:11 PM

2 posts, read 5,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I'm guessing these photos were taken sometime in 1954, possibly August.

This is a photo of my father's "new" Desoto. You can see an apt. building typical of those in Stratford Manor.
Our apt. building is out of sight to the left of the photo.

This one is looking across the street from our apt. building. The apt. buildings seen show what they looked like.
Seen here is my older brother (now deceased), myself with the dark hair, and my younger brother posing "seriously"
in front of the prized Desoto. I was a pretty small twerp then, but then I started growing up pretty fast.

Hello! I just had to write to tell you how I just LOVED your pic of you/brothers in the front of your Dad's new car and the apartment! My sister sent this to me today (City-Data Forum Stratford Manor) and I'm just having so much fun reading all of the post. I want to tell you thank you so much for sharing! If you have time, please share more. I moved to Ehrling Rd. in 1962. Which was practically next door, the farm was in between us. When i started Jr. High at Withrow, which was in 1968-69, till my junior year in 1974, just in those six years, I'd have to walk from Madison Rd. when I got off the bus, and walk through the Ellemarie Rd and look at those pretty homes/then start walking through Stratford Manor. At first I enjoyed it all, everyone was nice, and I enjoyed this one particular single family house around the bend on Duck Creek. The reason was, her whole backyard/side faced the farm with the cornfields, and in all times of weather, she'd have clothes hanging on the lines. It was just something about those clothes blowing in the wind. I would say the last two years I walked through Stratford, things started going downhill rapidly. Otherwise, it was nice. I think the company that ran the place, just got lazy/didn't set the rules, etc. etc.
Did you ever meet that farmer? He was such a nice man, would sell corn, etc.
Thank you!
Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 07:29 PM

2 posts, read 5,813 times
Default Hello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBankGirl View Post
Hyden, I am almost 51 so I guess I was at Eastwood sometime in 1962 or 1963. I graduated from Withrow in 1975. I lived on the Northern end of Red Bank Rd, just north of Madison Road and Duck Creek Rd. If you were to come Daniel Drake Park and continue south you would pass on of the entrances to Eastwood Village and just across the street was Ellmarie Drive and a little further south was the house I grew up in on Red Bank. I wish I had some of the pictures you and NightBazaar had. I remember the time so clearly.
I think you mentioned Quarter Tech. Quarter Tech eventually merged with Withrow once the new Vocational Wing opened. The year I graduated, we had 1200 in our class due to the seniors from QT. Actually, just about 300 were from QT and the rest were from Withrow. Today, there is no longer a vocational building at Withrow. It was torn down this past year. Actually, the school is quite remarkable. It's architecture has been preserved both inside and out.
I am just so pleased to be talking with folks fromt he old neighborhood!
Hello!!! It caught my eye reading this, that you are from Withrow. I was too! I lived on Ehrling Rd. and rode the bus home from Withrow and got off at Ellemarie Rd, and had to walk through that nice area of beautiful homes/then the long walk through Stratford Manor. At first when I started Jr. High in 1968-69, it was nice. Everyone was nice. By the time I left in my junior year in 1973 (we moved) Stratford was getting pretty bad. I used to go to Thriftway all the time with my Mom. And the drugstore too. I went to the pool with some friends I had (of course I don't remember their names). I had a babysitter that came cuz I had a baby sister and I was 9 yrs. old at that time, her name was Barbara. She had long red hair. We all liked her very much.
I used to take my sister sled-riding on what is now Daniel Drake Park, on the hill. So much fun. And me/friends would ride our bikes on I-71 before it was finished/open. It was a blast! That caught my eye too, you did the same thing! lol
When we first moved to Ehrling Rd. I went to the top of that hill of the park, and of course everything was torn down, but the inground pool tiles were still there. I used to think..oh wow..what a wonderful place to have a house and a pool! I wish I had taken some of those tiles as a souvenier. Oh well. I bet we know the same people. I went to Withrow from 7th grade to 11th (junior) grade. I have all of the Withrow yearbooks too. lol
Thanks!
Kat

Old 03-06-2009, 08:01 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatBella View Post
Hello! I just had to write to tell you how I just LOVED your pic of you/brothers in the front of your Dad's new car and the apartment! My sister sent this to me today (City-Data Forum Stratford Manor) and I'm just having so much fun reading all of the post. I want to tell you thank you so much for sharing! If you have time, please share more. I moved to Ehrling Rd. in 1962. Which was practically next door, the farm was in between us. When i started Jr. High at Withrow, which was in 1968-69, till my junior year in 1974, just in those six years, I'd have to walk from Madison Rd. when I got off the bus, and walk through the Ellemarie Rd and look at those pretty homes/then start walking through Stratford Manor. At first I enjoyed it all, everyone was nice, and I enjoyed this one particular single family house around the bend on Duck Creek. The reason was, her whole backyard/side faced the farm with the cornfields, and in all times of weather, she'd have clothes hanging on the lines. It was just something about those clothes blowing in the wind. I would say the last two years I walked through Stratford, things started going downhill rapidly. Otherwise, it was nice. I think the company that ran the place, just got lazy/didn't set the rules, etc. etc.
Did you ever meet that farmer? He was such a nice man, would sell corn, etc.
Thank you!
Kat
Hi Kat! Glad to have you here and glad you're enjoying the posts as much as the rest of us are. I never knew the farmer, but my parents would buy corn and veggies from there every now and then. I'm sure he must've been a very nice man seeing how everyone I knew from the Manor would sneak over the fence to swim in the pond during the summer or skate on the ice in the winter with nary a complaint.

Of the photos I posted, that's about all I have of the Manor, but my brother may have some others.

Old 03-06-2009, 08:27 PM

267 posts, read 722,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyden View Post
northwoodman, Eastwood Village isn't there anymore..to most of us it's only in our hearts and we still call it Stratford Manor .......Hyden
my bad it's eastwood drive

Man Steals Electronics, Puppy From Friend - :: Cincinnati news story :: LOCAL 12 WKRC-TV in Cincinnati

Old 03-07-2009, 11:23 AM

185 posts, read 458,516 times
This is so great.I can`t believe we have grown to 44 pages.So glad to have you join us Kat.Your input is another piece of the puzzle and it is coming together a little at a time.Thank you .A.F.D.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:11 PM

27 posts, read 92,962 times
Nightbazaar: I'm determined to figure out how to post my pictures for all of you. I think I'm in the "quick reply" window now. I don't see a paperclip nor do I see a smiley face. All I see is an icon of a sun and mountain that says "insert image" and that's how I've been trying to post pictures. I must be missing something here. I know how to post using the paperclip, but now I just need to locate that paperclip!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:28 PM

1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-100_3140.jpg

Eastwood Dr. sign. To the left of the sign, you can see part of the new school that replaced Eastwood School.

Bear with me as it's going to take days to get my pictures posted!!

Old 03-09-2009, 05:35 PM

This is the new location for Eastwood Dr. taken from across Duck Creek Rd. at the Children's Home. To the right is Coca Cola Bottling Co., which takes up a lot of room. I believe it took the farm area. The houses that sat down Duck Creek Rd. from here are still there. I do have pictures of them. This is where the corn was sold years ago. To the left, I thought it was 5/3rd Bank, but I need to go back and look again as 5/3 Bank is sitting where the strip mall sat--Thriftway, Drugstore, Barbershop, Nursery School.

I'll post more later, but the good news is, I know how now thanks to Nightbazaar. I was using the Quick Reply and not the advanced reply. Thanks for your help!!
Attached Thumbnails
1950's-1970's Stratford Manor & Eastwood Village-100_3141.jpg  

Old 03-09-2009, 08:50 PM

11 posts, read 31,820 times
Default Stratford Memories

I'm new to this thread. I only lived in Stratford Manor for one year -- for the 1960-61 school year where I attended Eastwood Elementary. I was only 5-6 years old at the time. I remember well though that my teacher was Miss Jones. The classroom wasn't part of the main school, but a newer, 1-story structure built near the other end of the playground. I think I remember that there was a school "beanie" -- a felt hat in the school colors. Was it yellow and purple?

It was a great environment for kids -- playmates all around. We left when my parents bought a home in Bond Hill where I went on to attend Swifton Primary and Bond Hill Elementary. After junior high in Kentucky, I returned to attend 10, 11 and 12th grade in Norwood, graduating in 1973.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM

325 posts, read 1,124,319 times
Shawnoe, It looks like we have more on the way Ronnie would like a picure of the sign of Shawnoe Trail the was at the beginning of the sub devision, and the place where the flag was raised if you or can get them. I really enjoyed our chat before my batteries went out LOL.....Looking forward to whats next. Hyden
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati