Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 05:41 PM

150 posts, read 172,246 times

Advertisements

This fast food company recently announced that it is moving north, up where young men fled when they didn't want to be drafted to Vietnam. I guess it has that right; perhaps they did also. The Supreme Court has been telling us that corporations are people, just like us! Perhaps they eat and sleep and have emotions and make babies? I'm waiting for Sen. Coke to run against Gov. Pepsi for President of the US of A. Of course, the Court also adopted the Dred Scott decision a few years back! So, if B.K. is a person, should we label it a deserter? Walmart was thinking about Ireland, where so many other 'persons' now pretend to live to avoid taxation. Can I also get a P.O. Box over there but stay living/working where it is more prosperous and safer? Let's agree that our tax code is a mess, but please also admit that entities/persons who make money should pay some part (no more than needed) of that income to support the governmental structure which made it possible to have peace, prosperity, and the pursuit of happiness....or at least that's what the fairy tale said. I would not eat burgers made by Benedict Arnold, unless I'm up in Canada. (...my goof: Benedict Arnold fled to England!) I think the phrase was “We, the People'...not 'we, the bottom-line-compulsive corporations'. As we approach Labor Day, let's accept the reality that honest hard work is no longer the backbone of America and its prosperity, and therefore the good times are more shallow: if you weaken the working middle class, who will buy the goods and services? Happy Labor Day.

Last edited by cgs2000; 08-30-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2014, 07:28 PM

17,633 posts, read 13,425,730 times
I'm confused. why is this in the Cincinnati Forum?

Old 08-30-2014, 07:30 PM

368 posts, read 639,758 times
tim hortons us headquarters is in columbus ..they have ok donuts..unique coffee..open 24 hours.When i was a boy..everything was right..i remember waking up and seeing the burger king in my window..i was scared. I wish i was taught how to use an uzi when i was 9 years old..

Old 08-30-2014, 08:13 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,511,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgs2000 View Post
This fast food company recently announced that it is moving north, up where young men fled when they didn't want to be drafted to Vietnam. I guess it has that right; perhaps they did also. The Supreme Court has been telling us that corporations are people, just like us! Perhaps they eat and sleep and have emotions and make babies? I'm waiting for Sen. Coke to run against Gov. Pepsi for President of the US of A. Of course, the Court also adopted the Dred Scott decision a few years back! So, if B.K. is a person, should we label it a deserter? Walmart was thinking about Ireland, where so many other 'persons' now pretend to live to avoid taxation. Can I also get a P.O. Box over there but stay living/working where it is more prosperous and safer? Let's agree that our tax code is a mess, but please also admit that entities/persons who make money should pay some part (no more than needed) of that income to support the governmental structure which made it possible to have peace, prosperity, and the pursuit of happiness....or at least that's what the fairy tale said. I would not eat burgers made by Benedict Arnold, unless I'm up in Canada. (...my goof: Benedict Arnold fled to England!) I think the phrase was “We, the People'...not 'we, the bottom-line-compulsive corporations'. As we approach Labor Day, let's accept the reality that honest hard work is no longer the backbone of America and its prosperity, and therefore the good times are more shallow: if you weaken the working middle class, who will buy the goods and services? Happy Labor Day.

The money BK will save in US taxes will be used to pay its employees, build more stores that will employ more people and maybe send some money home to the shareholders. If paid in taxes, it would just be more money wasted, squandered and pilfered by the government and their posse, the crony capitalists of the Obama Regime.

Old 08-30-2014, 08:16 PM

1,606 posts, read 2,843,519 times
What do you mean pay it's employees? They already do. Do you mean up their salaries??? FAT chance!!!!

Old 08-31-2014, 03:39 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,033,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I'm confused. why is this in the Cincinnati Forum?
Agreed--Burger King's corporate headquarters are in Miami, not Cincinnati.

Old 08-31-2014, 04:22 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,033,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
tim hortons us headquarters is in columbus ..they have ok donuts..unique coffee..open 24 hours.When i was a boy..everything was right..i remember waking up and seeing the burger king in my window..i was scared. I wish i was taught how to use an uzi when i was 9 years old..
Nothing like a little James Joycean stream-of-consciousness to end the evening with, eh? Obviously, neither this writer nor the OP were feeling any pain...

Old 08-31-2014, 06:10 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,511,482 times
I am amazed at the lack of business knowledge on this forum. Blows me away every time.

Businesses try to grow. They want to be bigger. They want more locations, more employees. It is the DNA of corporate America. I have never seen a business where the management says: "let's stay small" even though its much easier that way.

So, how do businesses grow? Anyone? Bueller?

They make a profit and invest it in new locations, bigger facilities and more employees. Does anyone not know that?

What is the largest expense that has to be paid from operating profits and that reduces the amount of money available to support growth? Uh, could it be taxes? Why, yes it could.

Now don't get too excited here, pro big government toadies devote their lifetimes to proving that higher taxes mean more good government jobs which are good for America. There are libraries of studies proving this stupid idea. So don't be surprised when one of these toadies comes along and says: but didn't you read the Pew Foundation whitepaper or whatnot that shows that the companies that paid the lowest tax rates lost the most jobs. Of course they did. (sarc/)

Old 08-31-2014, 09:15 AM

4,889 posts, read 13,856,418 times
Boycott Canadian bacon! Gimme a side order of Freedom Fries!

Old 08-31-2014, 08:25 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,172,633 times
It's a good example of a large issue. Look at recent issues of Fortune Magazine to find out more.

Honestly though, it's way off the topic of Cincinnati. Chiquita would be a lot better, and more relevant example since they were headquartered in Cincy as recent as three years ago and are now in Ireland.

But yeah, the moral of the story is we need higher tariffs and lower domestic taxes with fewer loopholes. Popular policy, but it will never happen with the pressure lobbyists have. Just another reason why campaign finance reform is needed and why K St should stop writing all of our nations laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
View detailed profiles of: