Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 08:05 PM

17,681 posts, read 13,466,038 times

Advertisements

Up to tonight, I do not believe any of the 35-40k Luminocity or the Xk Cincy Riverfront Blues-fest attendees were impacted.

This is a non story/ Nothing happening here people, move along.

Let the Liberal press present whatever biased stories they have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 03:19 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,842,276 times
Who remembers when Cincinnati had three daily newspapers, the Post, the Time-Star, and the Enquirer? I remember it because I am old enough to remember when the majority of homes did not have TVs. That was a different era entirely.

But to say the Cincy media is crying Don't go downtown! I feel is wrong.

Who are the Cincinnati media? You can't put the entire burden on the Enquirer. Their print edition is a fraction of what it once was. The Local TV and News stations have to assume a larger share of the burden. One idea, they might start a local broadcast critiquing their own network affiliate's news feed to them. Wouldn't that be novel?

Old 08-13-2014, 10:09 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,868,210 times
FWIW all the TV stations played the same "near Lumenocity" hand. Granted, it's easier to know this when viewing Web pages as opposed to changing channels.
Just yesterday they were all over a shooting "near UC." And the Enquirer went so far as to post a Google Earth screen shot to reinforce that the incident was...well, three blocks south of McMillan St so kind of near. Similar treatment was not given to the articles concerning the Texas rifleman who fired at his wife in their Madeira driveway. It might have been close to Kenwood Town Center! Wouldn't want to scare off the shoppers!

Old 08-14-2014, 05:36 AM

1,584 posts, read 1,978,892 times
I think the Enquirer has become very pro-city. They have a new beat writer, at least new to me, (a black fellow with a Muslim name) who reports on seemingly every new business development in the urban core. I see his stuff linked-to all the time in the "Development" thread. He's a big reason why I continue to subscribe. I've even wrote the Editor how much I like their new reporting. I'm not sure we want to live in a country without strong newspapers.

And unless you subscribe to the paper version of the Enquirer, I don't think you can effectively judge the quality of the paper. Just looking at a few headlines on their website doesn't tell you much....you're only seeing a fraction of what's in the paper.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
I think the Enquirer has become very pro-city. They have a new beat writer, at least new to me, (a black fellow with a Muslim name) who reports on seemingly every new business development in the urban core. I see his stuff linked-to all the time in the "Development" thread. He's a big reason why I continue to subscribe. I've even wrote the Editor how much I like their new reporting. I'm not sure we want to live in a country without strong newspapers.

And unless you subscribe to the paper version of the Enquirer, I don't think you can effectively judge the quality of the paper. Just looking at a few headlines on their website doesn't tell you much....you're only seeing a fraction of what's in the paper.
I don't judge the quality of the Enquirer. I did that several years back when I decided to cancel my subscription. And they have done little to convince me to pay money to access their website which I feel is inappropriately named Cincinnati.com, as they don't speak for Cincinnati.

I had a decidedly different view of the Enquirer several years ago when they sponsored a number of neighborhood websites intended for input from people in the neighborhood. I thoroughly enjoyed the one they had for Mason. Every election there were tons of posts concerning issues, candidates, etc. It was easy to see who was a Mason resident expressing their opinion. That is what made it so interesting to me, it was Mason concentric. There were similar neighborhood sites all over the Greater Cincinnati area.

Suddenly, without warning, they shut them all down. I can only assume it was a cost saving measure. I certainly understand costs. There was some embedded advertising, perhaps just not enough. Now I would have paid a fee, call it a subscription, to maintain a forum type website specifc to Mason. Something where all of the content I can relate to.

I can relate to the Enquirer's situation. If it concentrates on the City, just 14% now population of the Greater Cincinnati total, people outside the City will say how does this relate to me? do I give a damn?

I think it is time for the Enquirer to stop the print edition. What is it gaining them? Go to a purely online electronic paper. Obviously today it is extremely easy to print from electronic media. So there could be a print edition option at a cost of printing. Newspaper advertising revenue is tied to distribution volume. If you advertise in the newspaper you want some assurance someone is seeing it. From what I see advertising revenue is part of the problem. TV is stealing too high a percentage of it.

So Enquirer it is time to reinvent your business. You are no longer a Newspaper with people and trucks carting bunbles of paper all over the City. That is an obsolete business. You must become a modern day electronic information center, fulfilling all of the information desires of the Greater Cincinnati Populace. If you don't do this SAYONARA!.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:00 AM

152 posts, read 187,488 times
"You must become a modern day electronic information center, fulfilling all of the information desires of the Greater Cincinnati populace" sounds eerily like your own aspirations KJ.

Old 08-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immersedincincy View Post
"You must become a modern day electronic information center, fulfilling all of the information desires of the Greater Cincinnati populace" sounds eerily like your own aspirations KJ.
NO, just because I like participating in the forum does not mean I aspire to anything else. Just exchanging information here satisfies me. But business like the Enquirer needs to recognize what the new environment brings or they will suddenly find they are no longer in business.

Old 08-15-2014, 11:16 PM

368 posts, read 640,142 times
The enquirer is printed in columbus now..and that plant is still below capacity..I too wonder how long printed newspapers will be viable..and is it a bad thing?online editions give so much more and better content.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:22 AM

6,346 posts, read 11,128,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet_kinkaid View Post
The enquirer is printed in columbus now..and that plant is still below capacity..I too wonder how long printed newspapers will be viable..and is it a bad thing?online editions give so much more and better content.
Big city newspapers have been losing readers for decades. But many small city dailies and also small town newspapers that may only run weekly still seem to be doing OK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati