Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 04:13 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times

Advertisements

I have two family members in the military. One did a tour of duty in Iraq. Yes it scared the devil out of him, but that is what he was sent there for. He is so thankful he came back to his family.

My seond family members are in the Army, but non-active Reserve. They do their annual reserve training including their weapon readiness portion.

But neither of these have a gun of any type at home. In fact they resist such vehemently. Being trained by the Army to go out and kill someone, but individually they want nothing to do with guns. I feel the Army is training them to be good citizens.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:53 PM

245 posts, read 333,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Do you think so. Can we actually trust the military? Are you sure us citizens do not have to defend ourselves from our own government or our own law enforcement agencies?
This sounds like an question from the political far right.
Keeping in mind, we can not predict the future. My feeling is we citizens, will never have to defend ourselves from own government or law enforcement agencies with 'guns'. To me, it's a ludicrous scenario, and I'm on the pro gun (with restrictions) side of the argument.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:06 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h Steve View Post
This sounds like an question from the political far right.
Keeping in mind, we can not predict the future. My feeling is we citizens, will never have to defend ourselves from own government or law enforcement agencies with 'guns'. To me, it's a ludicrous scenario, and I'm on the pro gun (with restrictions) side of the argument.
Please inform us just what of the pro gun side of the agenda you are on. I have stated, I feel no private citizen needs to own a gun other than the restricted sport hunting arena. So what is your (with restrictions) part of the argument.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 PM

245 posts, read 333,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Please inform us just what of the pro gun side of the agenda you are on. I have stated, I feel no private citizen needs to own a gun other than the restricted sport hunting arena. So what is your (with restrictions) part of the argument.
Need has nothing to do with it. No one needs and automobile that produces 700hp, but they're out there and street legal.
My restrictions are pretty much our existing gun laws. I have no problem with registering handguns and who is allowed to own them. I also have no problem with limiting the bullet capacity of semi-automatic weapons. Long guns used for hunting should, and do, have less restrictions.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:09 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,484,138 times
Most of what has been said here in favor of limiting the right of persons to have firearms as protected by the second amendment has been specifically addressed and rejected by the US Supreme Court in DC v. Heller. This will not be revisited again by the Supremes in my lifetime, nor most everyone else here. So, stop wasting energy and making conflict over something that isn't going to change.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:31 PM

1,584 posts, read 1,974,606 times
It's the modern liberal fantasy to trash the U.S. Constitution and confiscate everyone's guns. Like Wilson said, it ain't happening....NEVER. 50% of American households have guns.....and the only way they're getting mine is if they kill me.

I have the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms and to protect my family. I don't trust the government and its agents to protect me. If someone comes thru my front door right now....what do the liberals expect me to do? Call the cops? Ha.....a home intruder will have already laid me and my family out before I can find the phone.....but if I have a gun in my nightstand I control my own destiny.....I don't have to rely on a cop to protect me.

But it's all about big government control for the liberals...."don't worry, we're the government, and we're hear to help." Yea right..Feck you...I saw what happened in New Orleans after a hurricane hit, and I was in LA for the Rodney King riots.....funny, but I saw every left-winger in my office carrying a gun those 2 weeks. I wonder why?

We have countries in Europe like Greece, Italy and Spain that are bankrupt because of excessive debt. The U.S. government continues to borrow hundreds of billions of dollars every year.........that WE KNOW CAN NEVER BE REPAID. But what happens when the Chinese, et al...stop lending us money.....and want there money back? Can anyone on this board guarantee that we won't enter a 2nd Great Depression?

The CDC just found several virals of smallpox hidden away for decades that they had no idea was there. What other nasty critters are lurking around the world that no one knows about? Could some crazy person right now be trying to invent a super plague to kill everyone?

There used to 1,000's of nukes in Ukraine, and we know Pakistan, North Korea have them and Iran will have them shortly (unless Israel takes them out first). Can anyone guarantee nukes will never be launched at America? The whole damned world hates us.

And you know what....the government can not guarantee the lights will stay on and the food will continue to be delivered to Kroger. Society is 10 days from chaos......3 f'ing days without water........and 10 days without food......and society collapses.

Who's prepared? Admittedly not me, but at least I'll go out putting up a good fight.

Last edited by flashes1; 07-19-2014 at 06:59 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 09:11 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
If someone comes thru my front door right now....what do the liberals expect me to do? Call the cops?
Yes. That's exactly what you should do.

First off, if you try to go after then YOU can get sued. Yes, you. It's happened before, and judicial precedent will dictate that it can happen again. It's all based on how both sides present their arguments and what the jury believes to be true if a jury is present.

Secondly, you as a taxpayer pay for the police. They serve you by protecting you and your community from harm. If you really want to be safe, vote yes on that next police levy.

On a national level, if nuclear holocaust does happen you are going to want to die. The aftermath would be no horror anyone should live through. And guns aren't atop ping nuclear holocaust. Diplomacy will. It has numerous times in the past. Think about when we as a nation were closest to nuclear holocaust - bay of pigs. Why? Because instead of negotiating with the Russians we made a stupid tactical error and tried to invade Cuba instead. Look at how that ended up.

Additionally, it is in the best interest of the Chinese to have the US prosper. Why? Think of how much of their money would evaporate if we defaulted. They would be dirt poor again like they were 30 years ago. Then their citizens would be revolting, an what would happen is a Chinese civil war. So if we need to carry around guns because we are worried about some massive military attack from China tomorrow, we might as well also say pigs will fly and heroin is a reasonable substitute for chocolate milk. Because its not going to happen - I call it.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,163,629 times
Additionally - the "I need a fun because I'm a survivalist mentality" a why?

Do you all really think you are going to morph into the Walking Dead cast? I doubt it. You all are smart and resourceful people, but those are improbable events. If they do happen, most likely everyone (including you) will die. It's a simple fact. And guns aren't going to help anything. The last think we need is a bunch of George Zimmerman style vigilantes wandering around.

Do you really know how anarchy starts? It starts with people acting on false assumptions. Read about how WWI started. Possibly the stupidest of reasons quickly flung the entire world into turmoil. We are all better off if we let the select few handle crime issues, even if we are talking from a quality control perspective. Only those with proper training and experience should act - the inexperienced more often than not are WRONG.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Yes. That's exactly what you should do.

First off, if you try to go after then YOU can get sued. Yes, you. It's happened before, and judicial precedent will dictate that it can happen again. It's all based on how both sides present their arguments and what the jury believes to be true if a jury is present.

Secondly, you as a taxpayer pay for the police. They serve you by protecting you and your community from harm. If you really want to be safe, vote yes on that next police levy.

On a national level, if nuclear holocaust does happen you are going to want to die. The aftermath would be no horror anyone should live through. And guns aren't atop ping nuclear holocaust. Diplomacy will. It has numerous times in the past. Think about when we as a nation were closest to nuclear holocaust - bay of pigs. Why? Because instead of negotiating with the Russians we made a stupid tactical error and tried to invade Cuba instead. Look at how that ended up.

Additionally, it is in the best interest of the Chinese to have the US prosper. Why? Think of how much of their money would evaporate if we defaulted. They would be dirt poor again like they were 30 years ago. Then their citizens would be revolting, an what would happen is a Chinese civil war. So if we need to carry around guns because we are worried about some massive military attack from China tomorrow, we might as well also say pigs will fly and heroin is a reasonable substitute for chocolate milk. Because its not going to happen - I call it.
1. So I should allow home intruders attack me because I fear they will sue me after I shoot them? Wow, that's the most cowardly thing I've ever heard. Yea, I think I'll take my chances, thanks.

2. Yea, please don't remind me how high my taxes are. Everyone's got their hands out wanting more and more. We have too many moochers in this country and not enough doers.

3. It's your right to die at any time, but don't expect me to give up the fight. I choose to fight, you choose to give-up. Diplomacy???? ha-ha, yea, that diplomacy thing with Putin sure is going great. We need a real leader to take-on this ex-KGB officer, not a scared little "community organizer". And yes, let's try Diplomacy with Islamists....yep, we just have to show them a little love and understanding, and I'm sure they will stop their global jihad. These guys are still fighting the Crusades. They will not stop until the entire world is living under Sharia law.

4. Yes, it's absolutely in the best interests for the Chinese to continue to lend us money at very favorable interest rates. But can you guarantee they will continue doing this forever? At some point, EVERY LENDER wants their money back. The Chinese will want their pound of flesh. They will eventually demand higher interest rates, then when we can't service the interest payments, they will want their principal. But we won't have the money. What then?

I like to be independent of everyone and everything as much as possible. I'll take care of my family the best that I can. Guns help me achieve this.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Additionally - the "I need a fun because I'm a survivalist mentality" a why?

Do you all really think you are going to morph into the Walking Dead cast? I doubt it. You all are smart and resourceful people, but those are improbable events. If they do happen, most likely everyone (including you) will die. It's a simple fact. And guns aren't going to help anything. The last think we need is a bunch of George Zimmerman style vigilantes wandering around.
Yes, they are all improbable events (except the federal debt thing----that's happening eventually---it has to mathematically), but every single event is possible, albeit, each one is improbable. I prefer to be prepared and have some insurance (you do understand what insurance is, yes?), and I'll die, yes, we all do, but I think there's honor in fighting to the bitter end.

George Zimmerman? I'm glad you brought that up because it happened because the police weren't protecting people's homes. I still haven't heard of a single law he broke.....anyone hear of one? Just one? Maybe jaywalking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati