Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 AM

268 posts, read 371,694 times

Advertisements

^^^ Well, it may not be a "major" event, but one of the best things going in Cincy is the monthly German sausage buffet at Mecklenburg Gardens. A buffet of cold meats, cheese, several sausages, kraut, soft pretzels, etc, on the 2nd Saturday of every month, accompanied by good German beer, if you so desire. For June, it's the 14th. We never miss it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2014, 01:30 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Well, this past Saturday we decided to take a one day trip. It was an easy drive and I will say that Cincinnati has some
wonderful architecture. Unlike some other cities I've been to that loved tearing historic buildings down, Cincinnati
thwarted the wrecking ball.
We headed to the Findlay Market and loved it. Great selection of meats at Findlay (I wish we brought our cooler) and other
goodies too.
Also drove around Over the Rhine and saw Hyde Park (also some lovely homes and buildings).
Next time, we'll bring a map (don't have a smart phone) or get some addresses so we can use our gps device
(we got lost a few times).
Also, everyone was very friendly.

Old 06-03-2014, 01:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,809,206 times
Glad to hear your first trip here was pleasant, as should all your future trips be. I believe Cincinnatians are about as friendly people as you will find. Why should they not be friendly, they live in a great city.

Yes bring a map, and also take notes as to where you were. As you could tell in your single day trip there is plenty to deal with here relative to the hills, etc. When you have more time, branch out and see more of the city and the suburbs. We have some geat suburbs here.

Last edited by kjbrill; 06-03-2014 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-03-2014, 02:02 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
For $1000, you can get a NICE apartment. I pay $450 in Mariemont and thats a nice part of town.

Old 06-03-2014, 05:11 PM

OP ...

Just give yourselves time to explore the entire Cincinnati Area. There is all of the old architecture along the river and downtown. There is also the exciting vibe of some of the suburbs, especially when you want to discuss such as workout rooms, pools, etc. in some glorious new apartment complexes. Look at them all before making a decision.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:05 PM

268 posts, read 371,694 times
Glad you had a good time, OP. Cincy really is a delight for architecture enthusiasts. Next time you come over, check a few days in advance again with the forum - there may be something going on someone can tell you about.

Oh, and we were at Findlay last Saturday, too. It was a blast, as usual.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarryOn View Post
Glad you had a good time, OP. Cincy really is a delight for architecture enthusiasts. Next time you come over, check a few days in advance again with the forum - there may be something going on someone can tell you about.

Oh, and we were at Findlay last Saturday, too. It was a blast, as usual.
I am not sure that this couple amounts to architecture enthusiasts. What I do know is they are an aging couple considering moving here. Therefore they need affordable living in a pleasant environment where they can access everything for their needs. That covers a broad range. I believe they appreciate the architecture of Cincinnati but I have not heard anything like they want to walk around in it all day every day. They know it is there and yes they can go view it.

I believe they are evaluating Cincinnati has a whole. Is it a pleasant place? Are there many things to do, particularly that they can afford? I can see them somewhere like the apartments at Oakley Station. I can also see them at one of the complexes out in Blue Ash which has many amenities to offer.

They have said they will make more trips to evaluate Cincinnati. I say let them see much of the City and the suburbs before making up their mind.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:07 PM

OP ... Want to kick your thread up some on the page.

I need to add some content. At this point, where do you think your interests lie, in a more urban environment like Hyde Park or further out in the suburbs? I know you can get an apartment in a great complex in the suburbs with a pool, workout facilities, etc. Just don't know what your energy level is.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,227,229 times
Thanks again kjbrill, ohky and carryon. Since the first trip was a spur of the moment decision, next time we will stay a couple
of nights and explore several neighborhoods (including the burbs). Regarding our interests; we are open to urban or
suburban. I did look on line for things like ethnic restaurants, bakeries, museums, art workshops (actually Cincinnati has
two fused glass places which is something I really want to do), a symphony orchestra, a zoo and opportunities to volunteer.
Husband loves sports (especially professional baseball) nature trails and hiking. We are also very social and enjoy
meeting new people as well entertainment (jazz, blues, live performances).
As for apartments, we would like a quiet area since we lived in a college town (if you know what I mean) with 2 bedrooms
and we are open to a complex (workout facilities or a pool is not a must), renting in an owner occupied building or
an older building (that may have 2-4 apartments in it).

Old 06-15-2014, 05:08 PM

I am kicking you back upstairs again, mainly because I am so interested to hear a report on your next trip to Cincy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati