Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2006, 12:17 PM

117 posts, read 434,480 times

Advertisements

hi everyone

Dh has been offered a job in northern Cincy (zip 45242)....we have lived previously in Dayton Ohio (10 years ago) Anyone familiar with both cities? We are looking for an area comparable to Oakwood in Dayton...old homes, excellent schools, small town feel but close to the city center.....any place like that in Cincy
Thanks
Theresa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2006, 04:29 PM

64 posts, read 315,842 times
Default Try Lebanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen View Post
hi everyone

Dh has been offered a job in northern Cincy (zip 45242)....we have lived previously in Dayton Ohio (10 years ago) Anyone familiar with both cities? We are looking for an area comparable to Oakwood in Dayton...old homes, excellent schools, small town feel but close to the city center.....any place like that in Cincy
Thanks
Theresa
I am sure since you lived in Dayton that you probably know about Lebanon. We have the small town feel and we have some wonderful older homes. And we have excellent rated schools. And there is also new construction if you should change or mind

Old 10-20-2006, 07:09 AM

thanks for the reply Fauxgal...I have been to Lebanon quite a few times and it is lovely...perhaps a bit too rural for us...thinking more along the lines of a city neighborhood or close suburb...perhaps hyde park? Having trouble figuring out what the neighborhood schools are and if they are any good

Theresa

Old 10-20-2006, 09:15 AM

480 posts, read 1,916,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryellen View Post
hi everyone

Thanks
Theresa
Terrace Park. But VERY expensive.

Old 10-20-2006, 09:41 AM

how expensive....also, how do I look it up on the realtor sites...is it a particular zip code?

How are real estate taxes...for example, what are the property taxes like for a 500K house in the different areas?

Thanks

Old 10-23-2006, 10:30 AM

2,206 posts, read 3,294,621 times
Excellent schools and older homes equals Wyoming -45215. One of the top 5 school districts in the state. Look up by the Wyoming School District on a site like Sibcycline. Moreover, lookup Newsweek Magazine & you'll read about the schools, too.Terrace Park is great with its Mariemont schools (very good) but way expensive & tax heavy. Wyoming prices & taxes are down a notch. Wyoming doesn't have the "in the city" feel of Oakwood, however.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:08 PM

351 posts, read 1,873,408 times
Default Oakwood and Glendale, in both locations

Congrats on your pending re-location! From what I know of Dayton, Oakwood offers a nice, small-town idyllic location, although without the draw of a real larger city. In Cincinnati, you might want to check out Glendale, a village on the northern side of town with older homes, large yards and a manageable size. The school situation is both a plus and a minus. There are those who fear the "diversity" of Princeton public schools. However, as one who graduated from there (to go on to Cornell and LSE) and now works in the district, Princeton offers a fabulous gifted program, including International Baccalaureate, innovative languages (I learned Russian) and teaches significant intercultural/ethnic tolerance in the most natural of all settings: through being raised together with "others." Special needs students are catered well to, and there is a large enough district-wide population for critical mass of students from all walks of life to find a natural home.

On a less PC note, Wyoming, Hyde Park, Indian Hill and Terrace Park also have nice, large homes in the greater Cincinnati area. Terrace Park perhaps most resembles the composition of Oakwood, but Glendale seems to have its fair share of Oakwoodites (my father among them) on the other side of town.

I'm a huge enthusiast of both Glendale and Princeton city schools, and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. If you like Oakwood, you'll find more choice and diversity in Cincinnati!

Old 10-24-2006, 08:29 AM

9 posts, read 24,269 times
I live in Terrace Park and can't say enough great things about it. There are people who live here from all over the world.. a lot of P&G transfers..people from the east coast, Atlanta, etc. Many from outside of Cincinnati...but yet, you feel like you always have someone to call if you need a quick sitter to watch your kids... or you have dinners delivered from people you don't even know when you have a baby. And watching the kids bike to school..and bike home for lunch.. or bike to the pool...or the parades that pass by your house.. or the holiday carriage rides around the community.

One might say it's expensive. But it's really a question of where you want to put your money. In a lifestyle/childhood your kids will love and remember..or in a house. Your buying the community here and then finding the right house that fits you. I hate to say this, but there's nowhere else in Cincinnati I'd live. Life is so easy here. And I love the quality of life my kids have and the values the people in the community feel are important. And I can't highlight enough, what a beautiful drive it is along route 50 to downtown Cincinnati. ) I, have to say, when we moved here, it was between Glendale and Terrace Park. Glendale is a lot like this community as well. Just on the other side of town. Good luck!

Old 10-25-2006, 06:33 AM

thanks for all the great thoughts...so far it looks like Wyoming and Terrace Park would both work well for us...we will see what a realtor has to say....do either of these areas have a walkable downtown area with shops or restaurants?

also wondering.....would there be many Jewish families in these neighborhoods?
Are there any higher end grocery stores in cincy....along the line of Dayton's Dorothy Lane Market or perhaps like a Wegmans or Whole Foods?
Thanks
Theresa

Old 10-26-2006, 11:05 AM

2 posts, read 4,601 times
terryellen,
I just left Oakwood, there is nothing quite like it. Am in Columbus right now. Nor is there anything like Dorothy Lane Market, sure there's Whole Foods but it's not the same. I miss it so much, I miss seeing people out at all times of the day walking, running doing whatever. I miss the friendly, civilized, pet loving community. Good luck on finding a similar place to call home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati