Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 06:15 PM

4,485 posts, read 6,240,721 times

Advertisements

Brill. Looks like your dreams of litigation dissolving magnet schools in Cincinnati has already passed.

Quote:
a: By 1976, there were 16 different programs in 41 locations.[146] The city was not successful in avoiding civil rights litigation. In 1974, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People filed suit demanding an end to segregated schooling in Cincinnati.[147] The settlement, reached in 1984, was, the court reported, "historic in allowing the school district charged with promoting or allowing unconstitutional desegregation to choose for itself the means to arrive at desegregation goals."[148] Namely, the magnet school system, which was to operate under federal court supervision until 1991.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
Of course not, or TomJones would have his kid in what is likely his dismally performing neighborhood school.
And, for the record, my neighborhood school sucks. (You two naysayers have no idea of the hellish circumstances that landed me here in Cincinnati, and particularly where I live.) However, there are many neighborhood schools that do not. Many of the neighborhood schools that don't suck accept kids should they have room. There are plenty of options for parents to enroll there kids in good performing schools in CPS. Should parents choose not to navigate CPS then there are plenty of reasonably priced, private schools available. I mapped out and toured several. In the end I worked to get my son into the best school for him. And that was at CPS - SCPA.

That Brill and Perry's generation fled the city is testimony to their failure and lack of intestinal fortitude to fight for their city, neighborhoods, and schools.

I am sorry to inform you that your children's generation are moving back to the cities you abandoned and have the guts to make it work out for the best.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
I am just suggesting it is not the typical result for a CPS student.
Since when have you cared about the "typical" CPS student?

Old 09-11-2012, 06:55 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,806,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Since when have you cared about the "typical" CPS student?
Very simple. Don't accuse me of being one who fled the City for the suiburbs, as I have never lived in the City. I have lived in the suburbs all of my life and absolutely feel no reeason to have to apologize for it.

But I do recognize the relationship between the City and the suburbs affects all of us. I am not naive enough to not believe there should be some harmony between the two. As such, I do have an interest in how CPS performs. Even in this forum, thread after thread warns people to recognize that area is in CPS. That is not me alone saying it, as I try to avoid the subject, but many others. As long as that situation exists there will be an animosity between the City and the suburbs. People fled the City to put their children in better schools. Not the only reason, but one of the biggest.

Please explain to me why this is true, as CPS expenditues per pupil exceeds about every suburban district in the area. So what can it be due to other than just plain absolutely putrid administration?

Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Many of the neighborhood schools that don't suck accept kids should they have room. There are plenty of options for parents to enroll there kids in good performing schools in CPS. Should parents choose not to navigate CPS then there are plenty of reasonably priced, private schools available.
We've had this "discussion" before, but I still believe that:

a) your neighborhood school should not suck;
b) parents should not be forced to "navigate" the school system in order to get an equitable education for their children;
c) parents should not have to send their children to private schools for the sole reason of giving their children a good education; and
d) your neighborhood school should be just as good as the next neighborhood's school, and the next, and so on down the line.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
We've had this "discussion" before, but I still believe that:
Well, be that as it may, where does this utopian school system exist? Perhaps I will move there.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Even in this forum, thread after thread warns people to recognize that area is in CPS. That is not me alone saying it, as I try to avoid the subject, but many others.
So the same 3 to 4 people on city data say the same thing. People w/o kids in the system. Gee...it must be so.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
But you fought for and placed your child in the SCPA school in Cincinnati. Are you trying to tell us this is the normal level of education anyone in the district should expect? Should the averaqe citizen expect the same result? If not, why not? I am not slamming your decisions as a parent, I am just asking why should not any ordinary person in the CPS district not expect the same result? We collectively pay our school administrators and teachers a large sum of money to educate our children. So I for one would like for them to simply earn their money.
Quote:
Mr. Brill. I have answered these questions many times. I will not go there again. At least not tonight.
Quote:
I have no problem with that. I am just suggesting it is not the typical result for a CPS student. I am just stating that a school district which requires parents to jump through hoops to get their child into a magnet schools or whatever you call them is really not performing.
Quote:
as I try to avoid the subject,
Mmmmm.... you do NOT try to avoid the subject. I tried to avoid the subject, you pressed the issue. CPS isn't perfect. But what have you done to make it better? I pay into the system (you do not) I have a child in the system (you do not)....so please tell me how your same lame arguments invalidate my experiences?

No matter what you will slam CPS. Should someone tell you something positive about it, you counter with a negative.

So basically, I have to deal with several people swarming me when I speak something positive about CPS. Bring it on suckers!

Old 09-12-2012, 02:37 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,730,837 times
Please stay calm, respectful and on topic. Continue doing what you're doing and there will be infractions and posts will be deleted. And don't say you weren't warned.
Yac.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:04 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,544,492 times
Quote:

Please explain to me why this is true, as CPS expenditues per pupil exceeds about every suburban district in the area. So what can it be due to other than just plain absolutely putrid administration?
I don't dispute that the administration at CPS is a top heavy bureaucracy and run by a bunch of wannabe social engineers, however you are not thinking about one of the biggest burdens on schools today that is causing costs and our taxes to skyrocket. Thirty years ago, schools were not crushed under the burden of having to take on "special needs" cases and to provide the babysitting services that they are compelled to do today. Public schools have evolved into a sort of child social welfare agency, and so education is not their only goal. Back in the day, kids with behavioral problems and learning disabilities were not the charge of the average public school. Nor was providing two meals a day, in some cases three. So, if I send my kid to a school, like CPS, part of what I am paying for is taking care of other people's kids who either can't or choose not to do so themselves. Unfortunately, there are disproportionate number of kids within the CPS district that fall into this category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati