Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 PM

44 posts, read 68,346 times

Advertisements

Yes. We only had internet with TWC and that's all we have with CB. But, TWC increased our $35 bill to $61.94 at the one year anniversary for service with them. We stream our TV, and we have an AT&T cell phone as our only telephone for the family. But, I have to tell you when I got the TWC bill, I told my husband we should consider ending our internet service completely. I was ready to go to the library once a week to do whatever I needed online, that I cannot do on my phone. And if it gets bad enough, I will still do that. I'm sure my quality of life would improve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 12:41 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by home4frog View Post
Yes. We only had internet with TWC and that's all we have with CB. But, TWC increased our $35 bill to $61.94 at the one year anniversary for service with them. We stream our TV, and we have an AT&T cell phone as our only telephone for the family. But, I have to tell you when I got the TWC bill, I told my husband we should consider ending our internet service completely. I was ready to go to the library once a week to do whatever I needed online, that I cannot do on my phone. And if it gets bad enough, I will still do that. I'm sure my quality of life would improve.
Yes, having TWC nearly double the bill at the end of one year makes you gnash your teeth in frustration. But make no doubt about it, CB will do the same thing. If you have something which indicates differently, in writing, hang on to it. They are pretty clever at not putting things in writing.

In addition to internet, we have 3 TV's with settop boxes on CB plus internet phone. I guess I shouldn't complain too much, since previously we were paying CB over $60/mo for just a standard land line. Looking at it that way we have the internet and 3 TV's for a little over $100/mo. I still feel it is highway robbery, but that's where we are.

Old 06-18-2014, 12:03 PM

44 posts, read 68,346 times
So, what I've learned in the process:

1. For streaming you only need an upload speed of about 3mpbs (3000 Kbps). Netflix has a speed index to let you see how well your ISP is working. We ran it on both TWC and CB, and got the same results. Here's a link to the Wired article that talks about it: Crappy Netflix Playback? Here’s How to Test Your Streaming Speed | Gadget Lab | WIRED

If you are downloading something else, or large files, maybe a higher download speed would be necessary. But, for our purposes, the 8.5 mbps seems to be working out well.

2. If you want a better rate at TWC when your introductory rate has ended, you must call them and choose the "disconnect" option in the menu. They have the authority to give you the best possible rate to be offered for another year. I don't know about CB, but I'd guess it will be the same. I guess I'll find out about this time next year.

Old 06-20-2014, 02:13 AM

398 posts, read 471,175 times
Cincinnati bell is much better than time warner. I wasn't pleased with their phone service, but love their internet and cable.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:36 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by det2011sb View Post
does anyone have expected rates (after the promotional period ends) for 15-30 Mbps internet with basic cable and no phone from either of the guys?
We have 10mbps from CB (no phone or tv) and pay $35/mnth. TWC would cost more or less net.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn0722 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I was curious what speed of CB fioptics internet is "good enough"? I work from home so I need reliable internet, and the home we just purchased is in a location where CB and TW are our only two internet options. We will be using Directv for our television, so it's just internet I am trying to decide on. Our address only offers 10 mbps fioptics internet with CB. Kjbrill, I know you said you downgraded and it was noticeably slower. Do you mind telling me what mbps you have? We will have my lap top plus two iPhones and two iPads running on the wireless connection, so I'm wondering if 10 mbps will be fast enough.
We have 1 computer, Wii, Tablet, 1 cellphone, 1 Roku all using 10mbps and its fine. i can easily watch a video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
home4frog ...

Is that $35 CB rate for internet only? Aint no way they are going to give you TV also at that rate. I am now up to 5 times that amount and only have the slow speed internet. Watch those people, they will sucker-punch you worse than TWC. My initial installation was $104 a month and included internet, TV, and internet phone. In a little over two years they have manged to increase that by over 60%, loverly, loverly, loverly.
I pay $35 for net only

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
Cincinnati bell is much better than time warner. I wasn't pleased with their phone service, but love their internet and cable.
I agree.

Netflix is only $8 a month. We have Hulu, netflix and net- so i get TV and net for $51/mnth.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

Netflix is only $8 a month. We have Hulu, netflix and net- so i get TV and net for $51/mnth.
What do you think about Netflix adding sales tax? That peeved me off. I was infuriated that it was almost 2 dollars more with tax.

Cincinnati Bell is great for streaming Hulu and Netflix, though. No issues. Two Rokus, a Mac, three Windows PCs, an iPad, and an Android tablet, and no issues here.

But I'm kind of relieved that they are dropping their cell phone service, because I haven't been impressed. Dropped calls and lots of flaky 3G coverage, and that hasn't worked for what I use my smartphone for (streaming music and checking Facebook and email.)

Old 06-26-2014, 10:08 AM

1,606 posts, read 2,838,629 times
$2 in tax from a $7.99 bill? I don't believe that.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Sounds a little fishy, doesn't it.

Old 06-26-2014, 12:57 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unusualfire View Post
Netflix Raises Price By $1 For New Customers

Old 06-26-2014, 08:55 PM

I'm just going by what my bank account statement said. 9.19 including tax for a 7.99 incurred subscription.

Hulu Plus, on the other hand, says 7.99 on their website, and that is what shows up on my card statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati