Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 04:29 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,441,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilworms2 View Post
The people I know with the most positive attitudes now live in OTR, the West End or Downtown
This is usually going to be the case. People want to believe where they have chosen to live is a good place. It's similar to the opinion you would get from asking someone who just drove off the lot with a brand new car. Of course they like it, the chose it.

I have followed the conversations about suburbs vs. urban areas for a while now on CD, and quite frankly it is getting old. I live in Anderson TWP but spend a few dollars downtown eating and shopping on quite a regular basis. I enjoy downtown cincy and think it is on the upswing and am proud to tell people I am from Cincy. (I moved to the region 2 1/2 years ago)

However, I believe that the two camps on this forum that are being represented as pro city and anti city are wrong about each other's opinions. Just because someone thinks a project ought to be or not ought to be done in a certain area with certain dollars, does not make them on the whole anti city or anti suburb. Both groups need to be careful they aren't blindly supporting or obstructing metro area initiatives and bashing the the other areas just because they have chosen not to live there. I don't have hard data, but looking at things logically, I think there are WAY more suburbanites that drive to, work in, and support downtown after hours than there are actual residents of downtown doing the same. This may change in a few years as downtown living becomes more popular. In the same manner, I am sure there are lots of people who live in the core of cincy and the immediate surrounding areas that enjoy things placed in the burbs some of which would not be practicle in an urban core (e.g., Ikea, Kenwood, Jungle Jim's, great places to eat in Marimont, Blue Ash, Hyde Park etc. etc.)

I guess my point is, that we need to step back from the emotion, examine the issues, and find a way to work together. The urban core needs the suburbs as much as the suburbs need the urban core. If we collectively want all areas of the metro to be successful, maybe we need to start a thread of cooperation, and discuss ways to do what's best for all areas of the greater Cincinnati area, including the often forgotten cities across the river.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I have followed the conversations about suburbs vs. urban areas for a while now on CD, and quite frankly it is getting old.
It's a ridiculous discussion all the way around. I am not anti-suburban, but have been grouped in that camp by a certain, very rabid, anti-urban poster that started this goof ball thread. My life, and immediate network of friends and family are in Cincinnati and that's where I live, in CUF. If it weren't for my bantering away on city-data I would never think of the suburbs one way or another. They are simply not for me and never have been.

So, my advice is point the fingers at the divisive posters who use city data as their dumping ground to stop in and start as many bash sessions they can muster up. One in particular even goes on to the development thread and starts arguments because we are wearing rose colored glasses for posting development news on the development thread.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:17 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times
How about taking a look at the title of this thread you are responding to - Cincinnati Versus Suburbs - Makes No Sense. That was my point in starting this dialogue in the first place. It absolutely makes no sense for Cincinnati and its suburbs to be fighting each other, there is no future in that.

The entire level of rhetoric between the urbanites and the suburbanites needs to be toned down. But the subject seems to revolve around:

If you do not accept my prospectus the urban life is the wave if the future then you are anti-City.

If you are not falling in line to spend millions of public dollars to connect the suburbs to the City with rail you are anti-City.

In other words, if you do not think like me you are anti-City.

I honestly thought this could have generated some meaningful dialogue, but so far all it has done is increase animosity.

So I would like for the moderator to just close the thread and shut it down. There has been virtually zero constructive commentary which has come out of it.

Old 11-13-2012, 05:44 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertwrench View Post
I think there are WAY more suburbanites that drive to, work in, and support downtown after hours than there are actual residents of downtown doing the same.
I think this holds true with areas such as The Banks and Fountain Square. Attractions in OTR, such as the restaurants and bars on Vine Street, Main Street and Race are mainly patronized by locals. Many live in downtown or OTR or surrounding neighborhoods. Not saying that folks don't drive in, but overall I am telling you as someone who lives in the area that there is a local flair around here.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that there is no way that what has happened in OTR has anything remotely to do with being supported by the suburbs. It was just recently declared "safe" by the newspapers. On the other hand there are people who have left the suburbs and snatched up condos in OTR. The Enquirer said so. But make no mistake, OTR is supported mainly by people who live there, or in surrounding neighborhoods.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,726,101 times
This thread has ran its course.
Closed.
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati