Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 12:58 PM

9,259 posts, read 16,791,621 times

Advertisements

goyguy... I recognize your reference to Trauth. They were certainly a force in the Cincinnati area. But frankly, no, I don't believe it was part of their operation.

As I said, I am going back a long time. I am quite sure the corner of Webster and Blue Ash, along the railroad tracks, was a coal & lumber yard then, long before Barresi's. The A&P came later. I just remember at this ice cream parlor everything was hand dipped out of the old tubs. Whether you bought cones to satisfy your immediate craving or cartons to take home, it was all hand dipped. Great people and as I remember always busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 05:22 AM

9 posts, read 28,653 times
yes...my dad and mom used to go to albers, tom and marty''s, italianette pizza, meir's wine warehouse, and of course silverton hardware. I had no idea that Tom and Marty's split. my dad used to go there every sat and get meat of course but they always had bones for our dogs...they were the best...almost made me want to eat one of the bones after dad boiled them.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:26 AM

9 posts, read 28,653 times
Default Frisches rocks

I long for frisches down here...each time I go back... I get the tarter sauce...I emember whe skylin was near the corner of Plainfield and Motgomery rd.
Charisse
If you look at the silverton newspaper you will see me on the steps of the police station when I was 10 back in 1968...and for the life of me...even though there was a group of us...remember why we were standing there...anyway...I used to go to the fireman's festival and one year I won a lot of stuff

Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charisse8 View Post
yes...my dad and mom used to go to albers, tom and marty''s, italianette pizza, meir's wine warehouse, and of course silverton hardware. I had no idea that Tom and Marty's split. my dad used to go there every sat and get meat of course but they always had bones for our dogs...they were the best...almost made me want to eat one of the bones after dad boiled them.
If you remember Albers, Tom & Marty's meats, you must remember the original Perkins Bakery in town and also the Marathon Inn. I remember being taken into Perkins by my mother, and the lady behind the counter always giving me a fresh sugar cookie. The original Marathon Inn was a narrow storefront in the middle of the block near Blick & Blick's tailor/drycleaner store next to the Silverton Bank.

After the original Silverton 5 & Dime at the northeast corner of Section and Montgomery quit business, the building for awhile was occupied by a local youth business development program. Eventually the Marathon Inn relocated there as it was a larger space. For awhile they seemed to be doing very well. They had space for a nice lounge. A former gas station on the northwest corner of Section and Montgomery was converted to a Marathon Inn carryout only location. But as all good things seem to do, over time the business just did not keep pace.

It is now doing business as the Silverton Cafe. Their menu still lists all of the doubledeckers Marathon Inn was famous for, including the #11 Ham&Beef. But the current menu is so large and contains so many items I don't see how they could do justice to the original #11.

And the one thing I see totally missing from their menu is the Cincinnati chili. The original Marathon Inn was Greek operated and had the Cincinnati chili. So I would have to debate between the chili and a doubledecker. In my youth there was no debate - one of each. In later years Blue Ash Chili became my favorite reincarnation of what Marathon Inn used to be. In fact, just last night I went to our local Blue Ash Chili and ordered a Ham&Beef Doubledecker. The wife had some gum surgery and was not up to eating. So off I went to get my favorite doubledecker.

Last edited by kjbrill; 12-10-2011 at 08:15 AM.. Reason: add content

Old 10-08-2012, 07:51 PM

1 posts, read 2,018 times
Default Dorothy Potts

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Wasn't there a "Dorothy Potts Dance Studio" somewhere up on Ohio Ave. around Superior or Lansdowne back in the "50s?
Dorothy Potts also held dance classes (tap and ballet) at Amity School auditorium. I don't know when she started there but I know she was there from 1959-1966. She only taught toe shoe at her studio - not at the school. There was a show put on of all her students each spring. She had a women who played the piano for the classes and shows. I don't remember her name.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossmoyne Girl View Post
Dorothy Potts also held dance classes (tap and ballet) at Amity School auditorium. I don't know when she started there but I know she was there from 1959-1966. She only taught toe shoe at her studio - not at the school. There was a show put on of all her students each spring. She had a women who played the piano for the classes and shows. I don't remember her name.
What you do remember is dealing with the establishment which had meaning for you. When I was very young, my parents dealt with an independent grocer on Ohio Ave. by the name of Whitte. Even after we moved from Deer Park to Madeira my parents continued to do business with them, just as they still kept their accounts at the Silverton Bank, etc. Back then people were just loyal to people they knew and did business with. Eventually Whitte retired and sold the store to an employee who renamed it Judy's Market. My parents still dealt with him for several years. My mother would phone in her order on Friday and my father would pick it up in the late afternoon just prior to making his weekly stop at the Silverton Bank. When I think back about those times there is a certain tug which states it was a better and gentler time.

Old 10-13-2012, 09:20 AM

10 posts, read 26,050 times
A bit off subject but I have a question for Silvertonians older than myself. I lived in Silverton just down the street from Silverton Elementary (in fact I think my house was officially Kenwood but we went to Silverton) in 1960s. My little brother roamed around on Montgomery Road a lot. The fire station sort of adopted him and were very nice. There was a small store, like a general store, in the main drag on Montgomery. The man who ran it was getting ready to retire and he seemed pretty old to us at the time. He was very nice and "hired" my brother to sweep out the store for a couple of dollars which, of course, he turned around and spent on candy at the store. The man's name was Bud. Anyone remember this? We were only in Silverton from about 1966 through 1970 and I think the store closed within that time. I do think there was a Trauth's Dairy stand still there when we were there but not sure. I know almost to Kennedy Heights there was a small shopping center with UDF but I'm sure that was a later development.

Old 10-14-2012, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Gee View Post
A bit off subject but I have a question for Silvertonians older than myself. I lived in Silverton just down the street from Silverton Elementary (in fact I think my house was officially Kenwood but we went to Silverton) in 1960s. My little brother roamed around on Montgomery Road a lot. The fire station sort of adopted him and were very nice. There was a small store, like a general store, in the main drag on Montgomery. The man who ran it was getting ready to retire and he seemed pretty old to us at the time. He was very nice and "hired" my brother to sweep out the store for a couple of dollars which, of course, he turned around and spent on candy at the store. The man's name was Bud. Anyone remember this? We were only in Silverton from about 1966 through 1970 and I think the store closed within that time. I do think there was a Trauth's Dairy stand still there when we were there but not sure. I know almost to Kennedy Heights there was a small shopping center with UDF but I'm sure that was a later development.
I can just not visually place the store you are thinking off. Of course my main knowledge of Silverton was between 1943 and 1957. Both my maternal and paternal grandparents lived there. In 1944 my parents moved to Madeira, but we were always going to visit the grandparents and roaming around Silverton. My maternal Grandmother left Silverton in 1953 to go live with my aunt. In 1957, my paternal grandfather passed and my grandmother left to live with another aunt. For several years my parents continued to do business with the Silverton Bank, Tom & Marty's Meats, and Judy's Market but with time that ceased. I thought my memory of Silverton was pretty good but I cannot place the store you mention.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:46 PM

146 posts, read 161,293 times
KJBrill, My mom could have answered your questions, she had a mind like a no other and could remember just about everything. But alas, she passed away this past summer at a spry 96. She and her sisters spend almost their entire lives (from the teens to today) in the Deer Park area. My wife and I would get her and her sister (who's only 90) and drive them around and let them reminisce. I wish I had taped those drives.

I like reading these posts, reminds me of much simpler times.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
All I remember about Silverton was "Never On Sundays"----what a great rock and roll bar that was back in the 80's-90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati