Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 09:00 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,799,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
There is a subdivision section of Hyde Park with very noce houses (the Mooney Ave. house I grew up in built by Myers Y. Cooper for his daughter, is a far superior house to where I live now). And that is one reason why people flock to the "flats". That area was actually a meadow. Those are fantastic houses, albeit on the .17 acre lots Wolden mentioned. The rest of Hyde Park is quite hilly and irregular. Many houses have hillside views and even river views.

I'm telling you, this is the place to be if the budget permits it. It really isn't a close call.
Again, you side-stepped my question. Just how many desirable properties are available in the area? And those on .17 acre, the proverbial 50x150 foot lot, what are these new houses selling for?

My opinion is even if a fraction of the people desiring to relocate to Cincy decided on Hyde Park the area would be overrun.

And the if the budget permits it, give us a good number in today's market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2011, 09:29 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrill View Post
Again, you side-stepped my question. Just how many desirable properties are available in the area? And those on .17 acre, the proverbial 50x150 foot lot, what are these new houses selling for?

My opinion is even if a fraction of the people desiring to relocate to Cincy decided on Hyde Park the area would be overrun.

And the if the budget permits it, give us a good number in today's market.

There are very very few new houses on .17 acre lots. I know where every one of them is, I think. Typically they are a row house look and priced above 350. The new houses being built here are pretty expensive, more than 600k typically.

One thing I like about Hyde Park is the variety of houses. You can get a nice condo for 100k to 1mm and walk to the square from either one. And, within five blocks around the square the price for a house can range from 250k to 2.5mm.

I lived on the south end of Michigan for many years where my neighbors included a retired store manger, a widow, several school teachers and a guy who employed George W. Bush to run his oil and gas subsidiaries in Texas. The head of the largest law firm in Cincinnati, and several similar tycoons. The block party was hilarious.

There are hundreds of houses in HP that are on interesting lots of more than .17 acres and less than an acre. A few that are on more than one acre.

Old 04-11-2011, 02:20 PM

201 posts, read 829,149 times
Wilson, you have a great yard, we'd love something that was as "green" as that, with an urban feel. some friends have suggested Mt. Adams, looks like a San Francisco layout with views of the city. However, when i ran the zip on realtor.com, I only came up with 10, four-bedroom homes. is it that small?

Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOD220 View Post
Wilson, you have a great yard, we'd love something that was as "green" as that, with an urban feel. some friends have suggested Mt. Adams, looks like a San Francisco layout with views of the city. However, when i ran the zip on realtor.com, I only came up with 10, four-bedroom homes. is it that small?

Mt Adams is very charming, eclectic. Lot's of bars and restaurants. Began its revival in the beatnik coffee shop era of the 1950's and escalated in the housing boom of the 80's and 90's. It does have a SF feel to it, but is mostly devoted to "gussied up" small houses that once housed blue collar mostly Irish families. Not a choice for you, I'm afraid unless you get divorced and want to live the hip bachelor life again. Nothing green in Mt. Adams except the beer on St. PAtrick's Day.

I could suggest a couple of HP listings for you if you would like. I'm not a realtor, but I know every street in HP.

EDIT:

Haha. I did it anyway.

Here is a house right across the street from me. The Square is 1.5 miles but you walk into Ault Park. Six of one . . . .

Priced a little high right now but it will eventually end up at 700k or so.

http://www.huff.com/search/detail.ph...uxuryListings&

Here is one almost in the park:

Detailed Property Information

Here is a contemporary in a landominium (not much green space)

Detailed Property Information

Last edited by Yac; 04-12-2011 at 02:21 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 04-11-2011, 03:26 PM

201 posts, read 829,149 times
Thanks, Wilson. so Mt. Adams isn't a family neighborhood? Where else can we have a small yard and views of the skyline?

Old 04-11-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks, Wilson. so Mt. Adams isn't a family neighborhood? Where else can we have a small yard and views of the skyline?
I had thought you wanted a larger yard, sorry.

Skyline views are found on the east side (where you want to live) in East Walnut Hills, The Grandin Road area of Hyde Park, Golden Ave. in Mt. Lookout and Columbia Tusculum.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:41 PM

OK, let's run through the requirements. Correct me where I am worng:

single family home on a lot
3-4k sq ft
great community ideally with activities, country club, etc.
views of either the hills, downtown or both
nice walkable area but want some space
smaller lot

Old 04-11-2011, 03:42 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Quote:
so Mt. Adams isn't a family neighborhood? Where else can we have a small yard and views of the skyline?
I wouldn't call Mt Adams the ideal family neighborhood. You should search not for 4 BR but 3 BR and you will find more listings-- due to the space constraints many pricey houses are only 3 BR. Mt Adams has a LOT of rental properties, about 50-60% as I recall.

Lots of bars in Mt Adams; the Fish Market restaurant and the coffee house went out of business. No grocery stores (except a UDF). A fair amount of loud partying drunks who urinate in the alleys (That is the problem with having more bars than any other type of business).

There are other neighborhoods with small yards and city views but they arent as "nice": Clifton Heights and Price Hill come to mind.

Did you look at the Mt Lookout addresses I posted previously??

Old 04-11-2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolden View Post
I wouldn't call Mt Adams the ideal family neighborhood. You should search not for 4 BR but 3 BR and you will find more listings-- due to the space constraints many pricey houses are only 3 BR. Mt Adams has a LOT of rental properties, about 50-60% as I recall.

Lots of bars in Mt Adams; the Fish Market restaurant and the coffee house went out of business. No grocery stores (except a UDF). A fair amount of loud partying drunks who urinate in the alleys (That is the problem with having more bars than any other type of business).

There are other neighborhoods with small yards and city views but they arent as "nice": Clifton Heights and Price Hill come to mind.

Did you look at the Mt Lookout addresses I posted previously??
Wolden. Did I miss your post of Mt. Lookout addresses? I can't find it.

Old 04-11-2011, 03:55 PM

405 posts, read 891,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson513 View Post
Wolden. Did I miss your post of Mt. Lookout addresses? I can't find it.
I mentioned Chardonnay ridge. There are two houses there ~700k with views. Maybe not the best views, but at least on top of the hill, also less than one acre (but bigger than .17 !!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati