Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:14 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,232,680 times

Advertisements

kjbrill - I think you bring up a significant number of valid points that seem to single out there probably is no "best" goetta in Cincy. Especially with all the family recipes and such. I would love to try the goetta that is sold close to you. If I can get it on the west side then please let me know the store and I will shoot over there for a pound or so.

Oh, I use a little oil when frying Eckerlins goetta because their's is so lean that is will stick to our skillet. We only use cast iron around here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,792,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Oh, I use a little oil when frying Eckerlins goetta because their's is so lean that is will stick to our skillet. We only use cast iron around here.
Well at least you have learned the number one rule about Goetta - cast iron skillet only! I have begun frying mine on a lower heat level. It takes quite awhile and my wife complains she wants her goetta with the eggs and toast. I stop that quickly with the comment then fry it yourself! That starts the day off well.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:35 AM

TomJones123...

One of the problems we have had following our family Goetta recipe in recent years has been obtaining the ingredients. Our original recipe calls for a pork cut identified as a Pork Cali. Go to any grocery store and ask for a Pork Cali. They look at you like you are some sort of idiot. Even independent butchers today do not recognize the term. I know enough by osmosis to recognize it was a shoulder cut of the pork. It was also quite fatty and needed to be slow cooked to be edible - a perfect combination for goetta.

Old 04-21-2012, 10:36 AM

^^ LOL@ fry it yourself. Sounds like the usual banter between me and my Mrs.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
kjbrill - I think you bring up a significant number of valid points that seem to single out there probably is no "best" goetta in Cincy. Especially with all the family recipes and such. I would love to try the goetta that is sold close to you. If I can get it on the west side then please let me know the store and I will shoot over there for a pound or so.

You are definitely right, there is no single best goetta recipe. That is one of the great things about it, the variety of recipes which exist. But there are a few constraints which are involatile. The first in the steel cut oats, not rolled oats. The second is while the goetta is made out of ground meat, you don't just go to the grocery store and purchase ground beef or pork to accelerate the process. While you may accelerate the preparation, the result has little resemblance to true homemade goetta. The flavor of goetta comes from the fat contained in the meat and included in the stock to cook the oats. In the old country, it was a peasant food, designed to use up the lesser cuts of meat. You can call them scraps, whatever, but it fit the bill. The majority of my family were not actually German, but actually Austrian. Of course back then it was hard to tell the difference.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:46 PM

1,072 posts, read 1,377,341 times
The recipe that I use for goetta comes from my great grandmother who was from the small town of Plaudin Germany--Lean pork/beef, pin oatmeal, spies and chicken stock.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:49 PM

I have to try the Eckerline Goetta-never had it

Old 04-21-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23145tp View Post
The recipe that I use for goetta comes from my great grandmother who was from the small town of Plaudin Germany--Lean pork/beef, pin oatmeal, spies.
I have learned one recipe while here in Cincy and that about covers it. Having lean meats makes all the difference.

Basically, mix the two meats together. Then add some water (optional but helps the spices mix in) then mix in the spices. Next, add the oats and cook around 4 hours stirring often. Pan it up and cool it in the fridge, wrap it later on. A lot of folks pepper the crap out of the top, aka pepper goetta.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I have learned one recipe while here in Cincy and that about covers it. Having lean meats makes all the difference.

Basically, mix the two meats together. Then add some water (optional but helps the spices mix in) then mix in the spices. Next, add the oats and cook around 4 hours stirring often. Pan it up and cool it in the fridge, wrap it later on. A lot of folks pepper the crap out of the top, aka pepper goetta.

You and I are almost identical in the prep of goetta--the best!!!!

Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Eckerlin's pepper goetta is the shizzle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati