Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:40 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times

Advertisements

It has been said, Northside is a developing neighborhood and there will be crime but with new residents moving in, you will find that some areas are safer than others. You can't just paint all of Northside as being crime ridden with one huge brush stroke. With new residents making Northside their home, you will find that people are more vigilent and less tolerable of crimes in their neighborhood. If you look for a place in Northside, get to know where that area is in terms of growing. I wish I could tell you specific areas to live in, but I don't know the residential area that well. I can just tell you that Hamilton Avenue has some great bars, restaurants, and stores and if you visit Northside and it seems like a good fit for you, you will enjoy living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:05 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
In my opinion the biggest problem with Northside is that when the eccentric twenty-thirtysomething hipster types get married and choose a more traditional career, they pack up and move out of the neighborhood. I've lost track of the number of my close friends who were DAAP students, journalists, musicians, engineers, and social workers who turned 33 or so, got married, took a job with a bank or insurance company or something and went looking for a house in Mason or Blue Ash. In Oakley, by comparison, individuals are more likely to stay or at least settle in nearby Pleasant Ridge or Hyde Park. I just don't see Northside improving as a neighborhood without some serious gentrification like Prospect Hill or Mt. Adams, and I don't see the gentrification happening because of the area's geographical location.
You made a really interesting and valid sounding point, and you lost me only at the last sentence. Northside is pretty darn convenient to downtown, U.C. and Pill Hill, among others. What about the location do you think would keep it from further gentrifying? Just wondering.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:04 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,299,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah Perry View Post
You made a really interesting and valid sounding point, and you lost me only at the last sentence. Northside is pretty darn convenient to downtown, U.C. and Pill Hill, among others. What about the location do you think would keep it from further gentrifying? Just wondering.
Despite some nice old architecture, Northside is perched on the edge of an industrial valley. While Mt. Adams and Columbia Tusculum have river views, Northside has views of the I-75/I-74 interchange and the Mill Creek. Some days you can smell the emissions from the local industry, and highway noise is ubiquitous. Northside is developing into a much nicer middle/working class neighborhood, but I don't anticipate million dollar condos or fancy hotels springing up any time soon. Personally I see Northside going more in the direction of Pleasant Ridge than Mt. Adams, OTR, or Columbia Tusculum. I don't consider P. Ridge to be gentrified at all, just that a critical mass of middle class families making the neighborhood better. Unfortunately, this process takes generations, while gentrification can occur blindingly fast due to the rapid influx of capital.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:28 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,977,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Despite some nice old architecture, Northside is perched on the edge of an industrial valley. While Mt. Adams and Columbia Tusculum have river views, Northside has views of the I-75/I-74 interchange and the Mill Creek. Some days you can smell the emissions from the local industry, and highway noise is ubiquitous. Northside is developing into a much nicer middle/working class neighborhood, but I don't anticipate million dollar condos or fancy hotels springing up any time soon. Personally I see Northside going more in the direction of Pleasant Ridge than Mt. Adams, OTR, or Columbia Tusculum. I don't consider P. Ridge to be gentrified at all, just that a critical mass of middle class families making the neighborhood better. Unfortunately, this process takes generations, while gentrification can occur blindingly fast due to the rapid influx of capital.
Yep, I see your point--it'll never be another Mt. Adams, that's for sure! Still, as you say, it has definite potential as a more middle-class neighborhood than it is at present.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:51 AM

577 posts, read 1,280,811 times
I don't think the people who are moving to Northside want or expect it to be like another Mt. Adams or Columbia Tusculum. For lack of a better word, those areas are, "yuppie". Northside is more of the, "hipster" type. Yea, sounds like my descriptions are straight out of the 50's or 80's but whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati