Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 3,782 times

Advertisements

Hello
I have accepeted a job in cincinatti. So my husband and our family will be moving up there within the next month. I am an accountant and he an EMT. Our housing budget is going to be about 150-210,000. We want an area of cincinatti that is safe, family friendly and has good school. We will be up there in a week to look at houses. Any recomendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2010, 02:02 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Cincinnati is a big enough city that there are a dozen neighborhoods that could meet your criteria. Do you know where you'll be working? Do you care about walk-ability? How important is shopping/restaurants/nightlife? Do you bike? Do you want to be able to use public transit? Does the idea of a homogenous subdivision appeal to you? Is a big yard important?

I mostly have experience on the east side of town, but my recommendation would be to look at the neighborhoods of Madeira, Mariemont/Fairfax, Kenwood, Deer Park/Dillonvale and Blue Ash. This could be way off base, though, depending on your answers to questions like those mentioned above.

Also, depending on your ability to make use of the magnet schools, there are plenty of fantastic neighborhoods in the Cincinnati Public school district.

Old 10-12-2010, 02:29 PM

120 posts, read 259,113 times
Wow, lots of neighborhoods fit that bill.

Where is your job located? How long of a drive do you want? Are you looking for urban or suburban? How big of a yard?

I live in Colerain Township in the northwestern part of Hamilton County. Our school district is Northwest Local. Report cards on schools can be found here:
http://ilrc.ode.state.oh.us/

Overall I like it here. Nice parks, convenient shopping. Prices for homes are in your range.

Stick with the Colerain West or White Oak listings. There is one nice neighborhood in Colerain East that has homes in your range as well. Here are a few of those homes:
8713 Sarahs Bend Dr
2947 Sovereign Dr
2859 Sovereign Dr
3165 Sovereign Dr
8735 Cranfield Dr

By the way, just so people don't wonder, I am NOT a real estate agent, just a real estate junkie. ;-)
I love looking at houses!

Old 10-12-2010, 02:39 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,657 times
I agree with everything that has been said. I guess it depends on where you will be working and how much you like to drive and if you would rather be close to fun things to do with the family, good schools, or simply close to work.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:12 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
please take a minute and answer the questions above.

especially
what kind of neighbors do you want?
do you want income or racial diversity?
what kind of commute do you want?
are you an old house person or do you like new construction?
do you want a yard? how much land?
is walkability important?

without knowing any details whatsoever, pleasant ridge, silverton, and deer park all offer nice neighborhoods and housing options in your price range

Old 10-13-2010, 07:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,782 times
I will be working at Chiquita Brands, which is on 5th Street. I would like a commute that is 20 mins max, but at the same time is it possible to be a one car family in Cincinnati? We really are not to concerned with how diverse our neighborhood is, as long as it is safe. We would also like a mature neighborhood (tree lined streets, older houses)

Old 10-13-2010, 08:01 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,941,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyBound2010 View Post
I will be working at Chiquita Brands, which is on 5th Street. I would like a commute that is 20 mins max, but at the same time is it possible to be a one car family in Cincinnati? We really are not to concerned with how diverse our neighborhood is, as long as it is safe. We would also like a mature neighborhood (tree lined streets, older houses)
We are a one car family in Cincinnati and so is our neighbor. Our metro bus system has many good express routes that work very well for downtown commuters. Chiquita is right in the middle of downtown and is only a minute or two walk from where the bus will drop you off. Parking is tight and expensive in that part of downtown, so that is another plus for riding the bus.

So, you are looking to spend 150-210k for presumably a 2 or 3 BR house in a nice older neighborhood with a 20 minute commute. Family-friendly, good school, etc. I would put Covedale, Westwood, Pleasant Ridge, North Avondale and Oakley on your short list. These are older city neighborhoods but not the urban core. You might look at a couple closer-in more urban neighborhoods to see if that appeals to you. Optionally check out east walnut hills and fairview / university heights to see what you think or more urban, close-to-downtown neighborhoods.

Living in the city you need to know about schools. We actually have a reasonably decent school system for a bigger city but it can be a little confusing. I just went on about it in this thread and it might be worth reading:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/cinci...-i-keep-2.html

Old 10-13-2010, 04:01 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,022,823 times
Several regular posters nailed it right-on in their suggestions in desirable neighborhoods -- and also in their encouragement to ride the Metro -- but pleased be warned that if it is a 20-min. MAXIMUM commute you want in and out of downtown, only a car or the express buses will get you any reasonable distance. For example, anyone who has ever ridden a #33 west, a #17 north, or a #4 northeast knows how tedious the rides can be to the outer suburbs. Good luck in your search -- hopefully you'll fall in love with this gem of a city!

Old 10-14-2010, 08:01 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Based on your work location and your other requirements, I would suggest that you look at the Madeira-Kenwood area. Great schools and easy access to I-71 and downtown.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,797,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
Based on your work location and your other requirements, I would suggest that you look at the Madeira-Kenwood area. Great schools and easy access to I-71 and downtown.
Of course I have a soft spot for Madeira-Kenwood since that is where I grew up. In the mid-40s there was Silverton and then Madeira, and not much else in between. What is called Kenwood was then farmland. During WWII when my parents moved to Madeira from Deer Park, the family said they were moving to the country.

When it comes to a wide selection of property, size and value, I believe Madeira-Kenwood (most of Kenwood is now part of Madeira) has a lot to offer. From a lot of basic 1-1/2 story 6 room cape cods, early 1050s sprawling ranches, to more recent cram it on the lot nice two-stories, there is a lot to chose from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati