Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:57 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
Drive 45 minutes in any direction and OSU will be all of the rage. Most of Cincy doesn't really care for OSU because:

A. Everywhere else in Ohio ouside of Cincinnati will support Cleveland teams, Browns/Indians/Cavs

B. OSU won't schedule UC (allegedly)
I don't agree with this. Dayton clearly supports Cincinnati teams over Cleveland teams. Though there are some Browns fans, they are a distant second behind the Bengals and perhaps third behind the Steelers. As for the rest of the state outside of Cleveland/Akron and the north shore, the Browns and Reds are favored; the Cavs are an afterthought.

As for OSU, the Buckeyes do play the Bearcats every few years - more than they play any other Ohio team. And they've played UC at Paul Brown Stadium. Does anyone realistically think that a program the size of OSU will play at Nippert? And why does Kentucky get a free pass? UK won't consider playing UC anywhere - Cincy, Lexington, anywhere - but there are plenty of UK fans around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 12:21 PM

3,336 posts, read 6,939,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy Rider View Post
Drive 45 minutes in any direction and OSU will be all of the rage. Most of Cincy doesn't really care for OSU because:

A. Everywhere else in Ohio ouside of Cincinnati will support Cleveland teams, Browns/Indians/Cavs

B. OSU won't schedule UC (allegedly)
This is mostly true, although the Reds command a following from a decent chunk of the state, especially dayton / springfield. Columbus definitely leans Indians though.

I think the root of the issue is that Cincinnati has all of these things that make it basically an island. Much of the food we eat and the businesses we patronize are Cincinnati-exclusive or Cincinnati-based. Everything from our chili to pizza to beer to gas to ice cream to groceries to our laundry detergent is Cincinnati based. Our pro sports followings are, of-course, Cincinnati-based. So at the college level, why would we be expected to go crazy for a football team that is two hours away rather than to put all we can behind our very own?

Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM

350 posts, read 879,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I don't agree with this. Dayton clearly supports Cincinnati teams over Cleveland teams. (Even in Dayton, I'd bet it's 50/50 Browns/Bengals...REDS, OK I'll give that. What about the other 75% of the state?)Though there are some Browns fans, they are a distant second behind the Bengals and perhaps third behind the Steelers. As for the rest of the state outside of Cleveland/Akron and the north shore, the Browns and Reds are favored; the Cavs are an afterthought.

As for OSU, the Buckeyes do (No They DID) play the Bearcats every few years - more than they play any other Ohio team. And they've played UC at Paul Brown Stadium. Does anyone realistically think that a program the size of OSU will play at Nippert? (PB Stadium is fine) And why does Kentucky get a free pass? UK won't consider playing UC anywhere - Cincy, Lexington, anywhere - but there are plenty of UK fans around. (Agreed)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:21 AM

9,259 posts, read 16,790,065 times
OSU and UK cannot afford the potential of being embarrassed by UC. With UK it is bad enough they have to play instate Louisville on a regular basis.

The best thing which has happened to UC is joining the Big East. With old names like Syracuse (wasn't this Jim Brown's school?) and Rutgers (I believe they share the distinction of oldest US college football program), it has increased UC's visibility considerably.

To put it simply, OSU simply cannot afford to play UC on a regular basis due to the fear of possibly losing. In this day and age, you have to run the table to have a chance at a national championship. OSU's loss this past weekend said bye-bye to that.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 AM

279 posts, read 717,545 times
College football has so much red tape and retarded tradition, it makes it no fun to follow. I just keep interest in UC games on a daily basis, but ignore all the stupid **** about rankings. Until they get a playoff system, the "postseason" or bowl games are about as interesting as a rock.

Old 10-19-2010, 10:28 AM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Steering back on topic...Oak Tavern sounds like a solid (no pun intended) reco if they're repping OSU through flags and whatnot.
Martino's on Vine, across the street from Bogart's, would be a safe bet for channel changing in the absence of a joint that's all about the Buckeyes. They're proudly an "outsider" place in that they fly the Steelers' colors and show all the Pitt, Pirates, Penguins, etc games. (These things happen when the proprietors hail from Pittsburgh.) When I was there on Saturday a group of people came in which included graduates of the universities of Nebraska and Texas. Obviously they were all about catching the UNL/UT game, and the barkeep was happy to oblige with a click of a remote. Not only are there scads of TV monitors throughout the big front room, they're well positioned so that you can watch just what you came for. Get a group of fans together, and they have a separate party area with pitchers at the ready.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:48 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,466,639 times
Wow ... thanks for the warning on Martino's on Vine. I'll not give them a dime if they're that blatantly pro-Pittsburgh. I can certainly do without that.

Buffalo Wing's & Rings with locations all over Greater Cincinnati is another great place to watch OSU or anything else you want (they have the hockey package and always find my game), and it's a nice alternative to B-dubs.

Old 10-22-2010, 06:19 PM

577 posts, read 1,280,053 times
I found that Oak Tavern has the Big 10 network so I would almost guarantee that there is an OSU game on every weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati