Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:55 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,981,059 times

Advertisements

Has anybody mentioned Ft. Mitchell or other areas of Kentucky which might be appropriate for the OP? It's a lovely older suburb with some real estate in the OP's price range and I know it has at least a highly rated elementary school.

Don't be automatically put off by the mention of Kentucky and stereotypical notions you might have about it. The entire state is not the Appalachia of the Hatfields and McCoys. The counties adjoining Cincinnati and pretty much indistinguishable from Cincinnati itself, other than property taxes are lower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 07:41 AM

621 posts, read 1,210,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RelocatingMom2 View Post
It's not nice to take out whAt you have made of your life on others. Hostility is truly not a good quality. I never said I had a problem nor did I call my situation pitiful. However I am doing what mature, intelligent people do before making decisions that effect their whole families lives and that is to research, ask questions, and network. I don,t spend my time feeling sorry for myself. I look at my options and make smart choices. That's how I started a business from scratch and worked my a$$ off to be able to afford my $900,000 home.
That's great! Do that!

As I said, I don't mean to offend. I'm not being hostile. You don't know anything about me to be able to say what I have or have not done with my life, nor why I may be where I am and the circumstances regarding why that may be so. But I'm not begrudging you for having the good fortune to have been exposed to the circumstances in YOUR life which have made it conducive for you to be successful. Point of fact is that I have well-off members in my own family. My cousin is married to a millionaire who owns several businesses. I never hear from her anymore, but I guess that's my fault.

What I'm saying is that I hear some sort of struggle on your part about which upscale neighborhood has the best schools for your children. If I'm misreading your posts, I apologize. To me it's a non-issue for someone who has the ability to afford that kind of home in the Cincinnati area. Despite what many may think, Cincinnati is NOT an expensive area in which to live and still be in a great school district. If only poor people experienced such a "problem". But they have no choice. You do. As you said, you're trying to make smart choices. You have that luxury. Not everyone does. So at the risk of sounding judgmental (which I strive not to be in my life, but sometimes I fail big time and have to speak my mind), I don't feel sorry for someone with your kind of struggle, because to me it's not a struggle at all. It's merely about choosing which gold and diamond ring you want...the one with sapphires or the one with rubies. You have at your command a large number of upscale neighborhoods in the Cincinnati metro area to choose from, and the vast majority of those are within school districts which are rated Excellent. So the gist of my typically ill-worded comment is that you should have no problem at all when it comes to easily finding an upscale home in a great school district. So as I said, check out Wyoming, Mason, West Chester (Wetherington or Eagleridge/Beckett Ridge), and Green Township over in Western Hamilton county. Those are all upscale areas in top-rated school districts which will absolutely meet the needs of you and your family.

P.S. I'm not feeling sorry for myself....believe me. I'd be happy living in a one room cabin in the middle of a forest.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Ignore the static. What you do with your $ is nobody's business.

LOL! I'll remember that..."static".

I hope you likewise remember your own advice, Wilson.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyohguy View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking for advice. I completely agree with the OP. She is just asking for opinions and trying to make the best decision for her family. That is what the forums are for. The OP never said she was scared. She was just making the educated and mature decision to research before making a big decision. I don't care what one's income or housing pricing point is, moving to a completely new area of the country can be a bit of a shock, especially if you don't do your research. The OP is not from the area so doesn't have much of an idea about housing costs and districts in the Cincinnati area. It shouldn't be assumed that someone from another part of the country knows all about the schools here. Keep in mind there are many areas in this country where housing at that price point may not guarantee a good school district. I would think that most parents just want to do what is best for their children, and asking for help or advice is the best way to do it! That was simply the intention here. Shyspider, the OP never said anything about struggling nor asking for anyone to feel sorry for her. I think it's disrespectful to refer to someone's move across the country as a pitiful matter. Just my opinion. I know you're intentions weren't bad, I just don't really understand the point of the post. Anyway, to the OP, good luck with your decision and move! Hope it goes well. I'm really not a huge fan of online forums myself but just happen to check Cincinnati every once in a while. Glad we were able to help.
First, I'm not referring to her move across country as pitiful!! I'm saying it's pitiful to be so concerned about making sure you're in a great school district when you have that much buying power...particularly in the Cincinnati area. But you're right, the OP isn't familiar with what school districts are what in the region, and so I apologize for offending/insulting/sticking my foot in my mouth as usual and being the typical jack-a$$ that I am.

Second, I apologize for expressing my opinion in this thread at all to begin with. I should learn to keep my mouth shut.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Anyway, I'm just going to make this my final post here in the Ohio/Cincinnati forums. I would like to think that I could be more helpful and uplifting in my words, but I struggle with that. So I apologize for offending or insulting anyone in any way. I know I have a problem biting my tongue, and the best way to keep my mouth shut is by simply removing myself from the situations which are causing me to open it.

So God Bless all, and I hope for your forgiveness for me being a jerk.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:50 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,945,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyspider View Post
Anyway, I'm just going to make this my final post here in the Ohio/Cincinnati forums. I apologize for offending anyone in any way. I know I have a problem biting my tongue, and the best way to keep my mouth shut is by simply removing myself from the situations which are causing me to open it.

So God Bless all, and I hope for your forgiveness for me being a jerk.
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooo

but i know sometimes these forums can create unnecessary stress. but please consider sticking around.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,643 times
Default schools in the area

Can anyone tell me if you have to live in Indian hills to have a child go to one of the schools there? We are looking at the symmes area but I like the small class size of Indian Hills High School...

Are there any other high schools in the area that have small class sizes that are not private?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cincinnati