Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 06:35 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,572,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
A messenger conveys a message of loving-kindness, it's a matter of the heart.

Nice post, Reverend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theophane View Post
Spirits are invisible to our human eyes.
But the loving spirit in man can see it as clearly as he sees the sun when it shines...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamerschris View Post
Ive always believed that god could send angels in any form he would like. I think about Michael the chief angel.. not that it matters because Jesus is the main focus and I understand that.

Sometimes I wonder Ive read somewhere about the diffrent heads? I know I read it somewhere in the bible, Im just really curious. I really am trying to learn more stuff as I move foward in my young christian life.
From the biblical accounts, angels appear to have a human form. No wings, etc.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
From the biblical accounts, angels appear to have a human form. No wings, etc.
Some did have wings. Some had six wings and covered their face and feet with them. A lot had two sets of wings. They were said to be able to take any form God allowed.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,369,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Some did have wings. Some had six wings and covered their face and feet with them. A lot had two sets of wings. They were said to be able to take any form God allowed.
Does that include, Gargoyles, which were thought to keep evil outside the walls of the Church?

Old 08-12-2011, 09:31 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,976,114 times
Quote:
Which ones would those be?

Old 08-12-2011, 10:00 PM

5,503 posts, read 5,572,529 times
Quote:
Does that include, Gargoyles, which were thought to keep evil outside the walls of the Church?
Now that you mentioned it, the first thing I've noticed In Europe, especially in France, were the Gargoyles on Gothic Cathedral facades.

Spoiler
Sticking out along the cornices of many Gothic Cathedrals are little beastly beings with angry madcap faces known as Gargoyles. It is safe to say they are not poised there, eyes outward, gnarly teeth at the ready, for their health. They are certainly meant as sentries, presenting a sort of anti-evil force field to protect the precious and fragile faith of the mighty but not invulnerable Lord.

Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,531,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend1111 View Post
An angel could take on any form. It could be the boy next door who helped a lady with her bags. It could be the man who fixed a heater in the middle of winter. A passerby who saw you crying a gave you a hug. A stranger who gave you some money for the bus. An angel is someone who just happens to come into your life for a moment to help you on your way. We are each angels and we can all do God's work by just being love to one another.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy777 View Post
Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it.

God Bless,
Mercy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Jessica Alba.
Quote:
A messenger conveys a message of loving-kindness, it's a matter of the heart.

Nice post, Reverend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ans57 View Post

But the loving spirit in man can see it as clearly as he sees the sun when it shines...
Try reading the bible while substituting the word angel for messenger. That is what it means after all. Not a winged creature or a divine helper (why the divine needs a helper I don't know), but an incident that connects the dots for you.....

Try it:

Revelation 3:1 "To the messenger of the church in Sardis write: These are the words of him who holds the seven spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your deeds; you have a reputation of being alive, but you are dead.

The "angel" of the church of Sardis makes no sense. Is there an army of winged creatures that assist a god who is all powerful, all knowing, and everywhere at once? Why does he need helpers?

If god uses men to deliver messages (as Jesus did) then winged angels don't actually exist, do they?

Isn't it men speaking in profound ways that conveys God's thoughts? Look at the "inspired" writers of the bible... Men (and/or women lol).

Even secular writers give us truths.

This tells me that God can be found everywhere. It doesn't take fairy tale creatures with wings..... Just a man or woman inspired.

The problem is that we have trouble recognizing the right from the wrong. If we FEEL it is right, can we believe it? Whether or not it is deemed "biblical?"

I propose winged angels don't exist.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:21 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,886,463 times
Do angels have wings? Well, yes they do...and no they don't...

Isaiah 6:1-3

1In the year that king Uzziah died I saw also the LORD sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up, and his train filled the temple.
2Above it stood the seraphims: each one had six wings; with twain he covered his face, and with twain he covered his feet, and with twain he did fly.
3And one cried unto another, and said, Holy, holy, holy, is the LORD of hosts: the whole earth is full of his glory.

Ezekiel 10:18-20

18Then the glory of the LORD departed from off the threshold of the house, and stood over the cherubims.
19And the cherubims lifted up their wings, and mounted up from the earth in my sight: when they went out, the wheels also were beside them, and every one stood at the door of the east gate of the LORD's house; and the glory of the God of Israel was over them above.
20This is the living creature that I saw under the God of Israel by the river of Chebar; and I knew that they were the cherubims.

From the above scripture it sounds like there are at least two types of angels that do have wings, but I don't believe they are often seen on earth...perhaps maybe because their ministry is in heaven and not here. The angels commonly associated with man usually are described as looking like a man but with a particular powerful authoritative and Godly countenance, and clothing not commonly worn here. They are also sometimes described as being HUGE. (some of them). It sounds to me like there are many kinds of angels, just as there are many kinds of races of people...they don't all come out of the same "mould".

And yes, there is also a kind of angel that you may have already met somewhere along the line: they look, in all respects, just like an ordinary person...you may have "entertained them unawares", as the Bible says...

Can you see them? Well, I never have, but others have reported being able to. So...I guess...if God wants you to see them, then you will.

I have read the book "Angels on Assignment" recommended by allenk. It is excellent! Get a copy if you are at all interested in the subject of angels...it's well worth having in your library.

Bud

Old 08-13-2011, 02:03 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,076,059 times
According to the Bible they look like robed men (because such lofty spirits wouldn't come down as lowly women ), but maybe that is just a form they take. Maybe they are really extra-dimensional beings composed on spirit or some different form of matter.

Old 11-18-2011, 06:06 PM

1,534 posts, read 1,991,496 times
Quote:
Technically I don't think the six winged beings are 'angels' [of course the word angel simply means messenger]. Why do I say this? They are named seraphim [from saraph] which means burning ones.

They are celestrail beings mentioned, but not really explained except to say they stood round about Him/throne. They have the the same 'idea' as serpents [Num. 21] because of their burning affect:

Num. 21:6-8
6 And the LORD sent fiery serpents [saraph=burning] among the people, and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
7 Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the LORD, and against thee; pray unto the LORD, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.

As nachash was used of a snake because of it's shining skin [Num. 21:9] and the shining one of Gen. 3:1 [the old serpent, in 2 Corin. 11:3 ]transformed as an 'angel of light'

Gen. 3:1 ¶ Now the serpent was more *subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?

2 Corin. 11:3 But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his *subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ.

The six winged beings are also mentioned in Rev. 4:

8 ¶ And the four beasts [zoon=living beings] had each of them six wings about him; and they were full of eyes within: and they rest not day and night, saying, Holy, holy, holy, Lord God Almighty, which was, and is, and is to come.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 11-19-2011 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: red font is reserved for moderation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity