Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:34 AM

3 posts, read 23,552 times

Advertisements

My husband is going to move to Chicago from Canada in September. I will join him sometime early next year. We will be new comers to US and Chicago.

We are expecting our second child. I haven't decided where I should give birth to my child. There won't be any fee occurred in any Canada hospitals for us as everything is covered in our healthcare system. Just wondering how much it will cost to give birth to a baby in Chicago hospital?

Could anyone let me know how and where to find an OB or mid-wife in Chicago if I decide to give birth in Chicago?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:43 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Check out Northwestern and U of C. They have a lot of resources for birthing folks.

Old 08-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Thank you very much. How much does it cost to give birth to baby in any Chicago hospital?

Old 08-25-2008, 12:23 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
We paid about $4000 out of pocket for delivery and nursery charges at Loyola a few years ago. Our insurance does not cover routine L&D charges.

Actually, thinking about it a bit more, I think it was closer to $7000.

Last edited by oakparkdude; 08-25-2008 at 12:36 PM..

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
It completely depends on your insurance. We paid considerably less than Sukwoo at Prentice Women's Hospital (Northwestern). I think everything was about $1200. The charges were broken down for the hospital, OB, and pediatrician. The experience was great, and we loved our doctor. If you want, DM me and I'll send you her info.

Another issue for you might be citizenship! If your child is born in the U.S., he/she will automatically be a U.S. Citizen (regardless of parentage), and it would be easy to set up dual citizenship with Canada. If he/she is born in Canada, the path to U.S. citizenship will be more complicated (if that's something that you could see as beneficial).

Old 08-25-2008, 12:43 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,950,687 times
This illustrates the point about American medicine. How much you pay varies greatly depending on what kind of insurance you have. Read all the fine print of any insurance policy you get. It may/or may not consider pregnancy a "pre-existing condition". Pre-existing conditions generally will not be paid for by insurance.

Speaking as a physician, this is yet another reason why the American medical system is screwed up.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,262 times
Cost depends on type and extent of insurance coverage you have. Your out of pocket cost will be your deductible for the year. I would think labor and delivery cost alone will pretty much use up your deductible. That's for a normal delivery. If pregnancy is complicated, your cost will likely exceed your deductible, and your insurance coverage will likely pick up the rest.

Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM

Thank you all for the information, and that is really helpful.
I just didn't expect the cost in US is so expensive. However there is benefit to consider as Lookout Kid mentioned about the citizenship issue.

Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 7,808 times
If you do decide to give birth in Chicago, Illinois Masonic Hospital (on the north side of the city) has a group of midwives for prenatal care and delivery. The suburb of Evanston, just north of Chicago also has a number of midwives that deliver at Evanston Hospital and St.Francis Hospital. North Shore Associates in Obstetrics and Gynecology has two midwives, and there are several others in town as well. You might find their costs lower because they don't pay as much as doctors do for malpractice insurance, since they don't do high-risk deliveries.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:02 PM

945 posts, read 1,988,090 times
Are you going to be living in the city (actual Chicago) or one of the suburbs? There are great hospitals in the suburbs, I work at one as an L&D nurse and know several great physicians. If you are interested, send me a direct message and I'll fill you in.
Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs