Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 11:46 AM

10 posts, read 27,618 times

Advertisements

As a musician, I have seen towns, with crime problems, unemployment, and other problems rebuild themselves through "The Arts" Since I'm an old Harvey Citizen, I remember the old "1900's Period Main Street USA" feel in the 60's. Well, now that's different of course, but I believe that in any "depressed economy" there are always talented people who "create good things" and there are always people, no matter how poor an area is, that want to buy those things. Performances, Festivals, Art Fairs, all draw people into the main downtown area and that entices others to develop small businesses. What's your opinion on "The Arts" as a tool to help depressed and troubled South Side Towns especially Harvey?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 01:16 PM
NSH

284 posts, read 2,364,793 times
Corrupt city government in Harvey is siphoning away any chance for that city to rebound. Blue Island on the other hand has a great chance at a major rebound.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:09 AM

Default Arts Council

I agree with you about corruption & that's a given according to the reports. That's my point however. An Arts council would provide events for the people and work in conjunction with the city but not directly. For example, a festival put on by an Arts Council would benifit the city, so the licence fee to use a certain property, for example, would be a standard fee. All other monies would go the Arts Council and the Illinois Arts Council, which would actually be a "Big Brother Guiding and Watching" Eventually, the city would have to see where it's bringing people in to "Spend" in their town.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:20 AM
NSH

Harvey still uses that Chicago Machine "pay to play" philosophy. If you're making money in Harvey, chances are someone with a political name tag wants a piece of the action, or they shut you down. A federal grant under the guise of an "arts" program in Harvey will net you an abandoned building and a coloring book. When this philosophy leaves then changes can be made, as it stands... Not a chance.
I live not too far from Harvey and I remember it even as a working class town down on its luck in the 80's. Now 20 years later it is a playground for gangbangers and corrupt politicians.

That being said... your idea will work in a different atmosphere like under Blue Island Mayor Peloquin or under Evergreen Park Mayor Jim Sexton or even in Cicero where changes are wanted. Nobody left in Harvey wants anything to change because the ones that are left are all in on the deal.

Old 01-10-2007, 11:40 AM

Default Arts Council

Again, I agree about the "Playground Comment", but, I'm from Harvey, and there's a coalition being formed with ex citizens and current citizens who care being contacted through the churches. I'm not a liberal nut or close to it, but I am a Physical Education Teacher, Health Teacher and Football Coach & I know people can change if you keep exposing a positive idea, keep believing and showing the ones who live there and care....that you care. With an abandoned building and a coloring book, I can do alot. A building downtown Harvey, like the old Bank would be great!

Old 01-10-2007, 12:00 PM
NSH

Don't get me wrong, I am in no way a pessimist, what I always say is if life gives you lemons make lemonade! (Then find someone who's life gave them vodka)
Harvey, however is beyond pessimism. Your friends that live there will agree with this I am sure. Again, in other towns you have a chance at a grass roots effort.

The Daily Southtown paper even has a whole section called "Eye On Harvey" where they try to expose all the corrupt dealings that go on there.
http://www.dailysouthtown.com/news/harvey/index.html (broken link)

Old 01-10-2007, 12:14 PM

260 posts, read 1,145,684 times
Bulldozers and flamethrowers may be more effective in these towns than an arts council.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSH View Post
That being said... your idea will work in a different atmosphere like under Blue Island Mayor Peloquin or under Evergreen Park Mayor Jim Sexton or even in Cicero where changes are wanted.
I've been in and out of Blue Island and Evergreen Park, just passing through or just checking out the area because I like to be familiar with my surroundings. The worst thing I could discern about Blue Island is that it's a bit tired and worn out and that it's a working-class bedroom community ("working class" in the sense that people actually work for a living -- I hate when that phrase is applied to the non-working welfare class) rather than a hip destination. I didn't detect the sense of the urban decay as afflicts too many other suburbs and city neighborhoods in that area. I found Evergreen Park to be downright solid middle-class. Am I missing something about these places that they are in need of a serious revival? Not every place needs to be or even wants to be hip and lively and fresh and youthful. Some people just want a quiet place to come home, eat dinner, watch the news on TV and go to bed.

Even Cicero which has slid a bit in the wrong direction, seems like it's still doing OK. It looks like it has the potential to go in one direction other the other. Accordingly, that might be the best place to try to affect a renewal/revival (more of a "let's get back to the community we were before we started to slip" effort).

Old 01-11-2007, 06:54 AM
NSH

Drover your missing the point entirely....
EP and BI are the only two towns in the area that would sustain an arts program.
The Beverly Arts Center and World Folk Music Company in Beverly are exact examples of what zydocoted and I are talking about

Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM

Default Arts Council

Ok,
Look,...Really, People are people. Not all people in Harvey are Gang Bangers and not all, all, all, of the administration would be harmfully detrimental to an Arts Council. Basically, every human has an "Aesthetic" sense about them, whether it's just "Matching" as in "street lingo", whereby everthing is coordinated be it due to gang codes, or a street culture sense of "you just have to match" That in itself, however follows such a meticulus cooridination in the "realm" of fashion that it shows, even your average gang banger appreciates color and style. Now, I was trained as an Art teacher, before I started playing ball, so bear with me here. What I'm trying to say, is that an Arts council in Harvey would begin as every other one does...By catering to the culture of it's citizens. Well, the African American culture is very interesting Artistically in it's roots, until present day. In the school arts curricullum, they have to cover folk art which includes "African" art. Subsequently, the children of Harvey (it's future" arealready learning their culture as well as Latin and Appalachian folk art. Now when an Arts council portrays galleries or shows on photo archives of early African Americans in Illinois (for example), local citizens can display prints of their old early photos. You see, the idea of an Arts Council is to attract and expose through "hands on" ways...it's citizens. Also, who gave America Jazz?, Blues? "Zydeco? The Banjo? Soul Music,? Performances like these draw lots of people. Now, moving on to Visual Media.....There are many citizens of Harvey who are good artists worthy of show, that are raw or perhaps even professionals. I don't have empiracle proof, however it would be naive to think that out of 36 + thousand people, there are not 25 good visual media artists working in water colors, oils or pastels.
The point is, if an organization (An Arts Council)can let people feel like they are a part of, feel like they're appreciated and feel like they're worth something..............They will become fiercely protective of that organization. They will also do all they can to make it greater. They will also be more friendly to their neighbors and focused on goals, becoming better citizens.
Isn't this the same principals Sports works on? You bet it is. Because all 3 emotional needs will be met. The Arts however, let's people appeal to the masses Though emotions.
It will work in Harvey......all people appreciate beauty, drama and music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs