Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 06:41 PM

6 posts, read 3,967 times

Advertisements

My wife and I intend to move to Champaign or Urbana in the next 6 months. We're both retired and just want to live in a quiet tree-lined neighborhood without much crime. We love older homes, something built in the 1900s to 1960s. We've visited the area and liked the look of Urbana, but met some locals from Champaign who recommended we focus on Champaign and not Urbana. They were pretty vague on why Champaign was better than Urbana.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two cities, why one is preferable to the other and give us an idea where we should look. Any insight would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 07:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIKELL View Post
My wife and I intend to move to Champaign or Urbana in the next 6 months. We're both retired and just want to live in a quiet tree-lined neighborhood without much crime. We love older homes, something built in the 1900s to 1960s. We've visited the area and liked the look of Urbana, but met some locals from Champaign who recommended we focus on Champaign and not Urbana. They were pretty vague on why Champaign was better than Urbana.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two cities, why one is preferable to the other and give us an idea where we should look. Any insight would be appreciated.
Urbana is the quieter and older of the two. Although Urbana has seen some hipster artsy vibes lately. Champaign is the more modern of the two. And Champaign also has college vibes and atmosphere with UofI. A lot of teachers live in Urbana because its the better of the two options. Urbana also tends to be on the cheaper side with housing and such. Both are great areas, but some areas come off as tired industrial.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:51 AM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
This seems to be in the wrong sub-forum. Champaign seems to be more active whereas Urbana is a bit more quaint. Champaign seems to have more retail and entertainment. Urbana is more quirky too.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:17 AM

117 posts, read 84,087 times
I'd recommend nearby Paxton, IL. Lots of old Victorians with mature treelined streets in a much quieter area, lots of older people & only 25 mins or so north of Champaign so it'd be on the closer to the burbs too.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:00 AM

1,622 posts, read 1,705,983 times
I lived in C-U for 40 years (1974-2014). They are not radically different and there are very nice areas of both cities. Get a good realtor (I recommend Nick Taylor) and explore all options. I lived in Mahomet for several years before I left IL. I do not recommend living outside C-U, it takes too long to get to "civilization", i.e where everything is, shopping, restaurants, entertainment etc. If that doesn't bother you, Mahomet has some nice areas near Lake of the Woods Forest Preserve.

In Champaign, Maynard Lake area, Devonshire, and Robeson Meadows are all nice areas. There are some nice older homes on Hill and Union Streets.

For streets like you mention, look east of the main U of IL campus in Urbana. They are the "state" streets, Michigan, Delaware, Nevada, etc. There are other areas that are not as close to campus. There is a nice area southeast of campus near Meadowbrook Park.

Be prepared to pay high property taxes!

Last edited by movin1; 08-21-2023 at 09:15 AM..

Old 08-21-2023, 11:56 AM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Be prepared to pay high property taxes!
Property taxes are one reason many choose Champaign over Urbana. Taxes in Champaign County are high everywhere, but they're absurd in Urbana.

In Champaign, there are many nice, relatively affordable older (early- to mid-century) homes in mature, tree-lined neighborhoods in in the ~1.5 mile x 1.5 mile square bordered by Church Street on the North, Kirby Avenue on the South, Mattis Avenue on the West, and State Street on the East.

There is similar housing stock in Urbana, but not nearly as much. The nicest stuff of that vintage tends to be closer to the U-of-I campus, too, so even though Urbana has the reputation of being quieter than Champaign, those neighborhoods may not be.

Old 08-21-2023, 12:33 PM

27,164 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
Property taxes are one reason many choose Champaign over Urbana. Taxes in Champaign County are high everywhere, but they're absurd in Urbana.

In Champaign, there are many nice, relatively affordable older (early- to mid-century) homes in mature, tree-lined neighborhoods in in the ~1.5 mile x 1.5 mile square bordered by Church Street on the North, Kirby Avenue on the South, Mattis Avenue on the West, and State Street on the East.

There is similar housing stock in Urbana, but not nearly as much. The nicest stuff of that vintage tends to be closer to the U-of-I campus, too, so even though Urbana has the reputation of being quieter than Champaign, those neighborhoods may not be.
Bear in mind the "absurdity" involved is $8.61 per $100 of assessed value, meaning a 200K home is $1,722. Much of the US would kill for that.

Old 08-21-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Bear in mind the "absurdity" involved is $8.61 per $100 of assessed value, meaning a 200K home is $1,722. Much of the US would kill for that.
Not correct. Property taxes are about 2% of value. A $200K house will have a $4,000/year property tax bill.

Here's a house listed for $435K. Property tax bill in 2021 was over $10K.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

I lived there for 40 years and owned several houses, I know what the property taxes are.

Old 08-22-2023, 04:56 PM

1,130 posts, read 2,023,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin1 View Post
Not correct. Property taxes are about 2% of value. A $200K house will have a $4,000/year property tax bill.

Here's a house listed for $435K. Property tax bill in 2021 was over $10K.

I lived there for 40 years and owned several houses, I know what the property taxes are.
And that house has been held by the same owner since 1996, so the assessed value is probably light. If it sells for anywhere near asking price, the new owner's property taxes will likely be north of $13k.

Here's a ~$200k house where the property taxes are already $4400 a year, and the assessment is likely is go up after the sale.

Property tax rates in Urbana are in the ballpark of $10 per $100 of assessed value, and assessed values are supposed to be 33% of market value. If you buy a house there for $200k, you shouldn't be surprised if you property taxes end up being $6k+.

Last edited by madpaddy; 08-22-2023 at 05:28 PM..

Old 08-22-2023, 07:57 PM

As far as I know, there are no property tax caps in C-U. Mine got re-assessed and went up every year, the tax assessor wanted to screw everyone out of every last dollar. I filed a complaint with the state and won, she wasn't happy.

I lived in Champaign for many years, and Mahomet and Chicago too. I didn't see a big difference between Champaign, Urbana, and Mahomet property tax rates, they were all exorbitant. Chicago was lower at the time, but they have gone up a lot since I left. It really was one of the main reasons I moved to other states.

My property taxes in Naples, FL and Vegas are 1/3 of what they were in Champaign. $600K house in C-U tax was over $12K/year. In Naples and Vegas it's about $4K. My property taxes are capped at 3%/year in Vegas.

When a house is sold in C-U, it gets assessed for the new price. If it was an old house that had a low property tax bill, kiss it goodbye.

Last edited by movin1; 08-22-2023 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs