Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 09:38 PM

52 posts, read 74,627 times

Advertisements

I selected 2 apartments. One in Naperville and another one in Lakeview chicago. I compared them for a family of 2 kids and husband wife both working in downtown.

I have attached my comparison. Please tell me if my comparison is incorrect. May be I am wrong with the cost/price OR commute time.

Can you tell me which one is better for a family and why?

Also, 2 kids childcare cost is super-high in Chicago and even Naperville.
How should a normal middle class family manage?
How people manage 2 children care when both husband and wife are working and have no family/friends nearby?
Attached Thumbnails
Naperville vs Chicago(Lincoln park, lakeview)-comparison.jpg  

Last edited by tiyakhambadkone; 03-23-2017 at 10:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2017, 12:03 AM

201 posts, read 277,952 times
A normal middle-class family would manage by not living in an expensive area such as those you mentioned I would imagine.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:58 AM

Thanks for your response.
Which are the safe neighborhoods (at a commutable distance to Chicago downtown) with good schools where daycare cost is not super-high and rent is also affordable?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:01 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
Transportation costs to work will be higher in Naperville. You should also get a smaller place in the city.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 AM

A smaller place in the city is okay but I want good schools and i found out that Lincoln park and Lakeview has good schools. However even a 2 bed room apt for a family of 4 costs $2500+ and daycare cost EVERYWHERE for 2 kids is super-duper-high.

Old 03-24-2017, 10:19 AM

768 posts, read 1,102,864 times
Daycare for us costs 315/week 4y old + 375/week for a 1y old... That includes food on the plus side...

Its definitely expensive out here...

Around us (la grange) some neighbors pool kids and get a professional nanny they(good ones) are not cheap - but that still saves costs or utilize in home day cares which are cheaper than the large daycare centers ... i think if you locate in a good and strong community with great neighbors these do become options...

Old 03-24-2017, 07:29 PM

Try the Northwest side of the city. Very safe, easy commute downtown via the blue line or in some cases the Metra, very good k-8 schools and a decent high school, and prices that would match what you are looking for. You could probably find a house to rent for less than a Lincoln Park apartment.

Old 03-25-2017, 06:15 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
Where are you moving from?

Old 03-26-2017, 10:07 AM

4,152 posts, read 7,934,805 times
I'd scrap Lakeview as a location to raise a family unless you have lots of money. Schools in Chicago are not good and its tricky to get your kids in one that is good and it may be located far from where you live. Its very congested there and not conducive to family life unless you own a nice large home in Lakeview somewhere. I'd pick Naperville or even another suburb to live in. If you insist on the city then pick a place like Lincoln Square, Norwood Park, Edgebrook, etc. They are further out there is more space and more conducive to families.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Schools in Chicago are not good
I hate to beat a dead horse, but I have too call out misleading blanket statements like this regarding CPS (or in this case simply "Chicago") schools whenever I see them.

CPS schools range from hell holes to some of the best in the nation. Lakeview is served by some of the best elementary schools the City has to offer (Nettlehorst, Blaine), as are Edgebrook and much of Lincoln Square. For the most part, any good family-friendly neighborhood that gets mentioned on these forums is served by high-quality K-8 schools.

High schools range from the exceptional selective enrollments, quality neighborhood schools with IB programs (Taft, LP), good magnets like Von Steuben, neighborhood schools that are improving but leave something to be desired (LV, Amundsen), and schools that no parent would ever want there kids to attend. There are also dozens of private, parochial, and charter schools ranging from hugely expensive to relatively cheap to free in the case of charter schools.

Trying to characterize the second largest school system in the country with a statement like "Schools in Chicago are not good" does not help people like the OP who are seeking useful information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs