Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which suburban area offers the most?
Northern Suburbs 65 47.45%
Western Suburbs 61 44.53%
Southern Suburbs 11 8.03%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:15 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times

Advertisements

You are clearly forgetting about the generalized dung you posted to characterize certain parts of suburban Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post
So divided by county population, DuPage still had fewer heroin deaths than Lake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,378,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avondalist View Post

I remember an old article in the Onion about a radical student at an out-of-state big 10 university who grew up in Deerfield protesting his father's "capitalist oppression" because he refused to give the son his old Ford Taurus to use at college. That's very northern suburban. Whereas when I think of the western suburbs I think more Wayne and Garth, slightly dumber though more down-to-earth.

Ah yes... The Onion... that fact-based, objective news outlet. That is a very legitimate source to reference to support your argument Though I do enjoy The Onion...

Your previous post chock-full of offensive stereotypes and wild inaccuracies would actually be a great piece for The Onion. Maybe you should submit it?

Old 05-22-2016, 11:31 AM

90 posts, read 205,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdAilment View Post
When comparing these three suburban regions of Chicagoland which area do you think offers the most and best in amenities, quality of life, and overall capacity and potential?

For purposes of establishing boundaries for each region, the South Side suburbs extend east to include the neighboring Indiana counties of Lake and Porter county, and obviously southern Cook County. The North Side suburbs extend north into southern Wisconsin, including Pleasant Prairie, Kenosha, etc. The West Side suburbs extend westward towards Aurora, obviously. As far as drawing the line between West and North and West and South I'll leave that up to the more long time residents, as I've only moved here in the last 6 months and am still becoming familiar with the Western and Northern suburbs.
I can't recommend one over the rest, as each suburban area offers different things. The south suburbs aren't very desirable, but there are very nice south suburbs like Homewood, Olympia Fields, Crete, Monee, and Flossmoor. On the other end of the spectrum you have Harvey, Riverdale, Dixmoor, Calumet City...

The western and northern suburbs are very expensive. Look towards the southwest and northwest suburbs, many there are quite affordable.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:05 AM

2,157 posts, read 5,492,914 times
Quote:
I'm still wondering who voted southern suburbs and why. I put them in there just to be inclusive and fair, never thought they'd get any serious votes.
I voted Northern Suburbs...BUT the poll should have probably been categorized in the following way:

North Shore
North Suburbs (including Southeast Wisconsin)
Northwest Suburbs
West Suburbs
Southwest Suburbs
South Suburbs
Northwest Indiana (Southeast Suburbs)

I venture that the votes for the South Suburbs were probably more towards the southwest burbs - however, for some people, the south suburbs have the most to offer them especially if their close connections are there as well.

Old 11-23-2016, 07:34 PM

2 posts, read 4,517 times
Quote:
When comparing these three suburban regions of Chicagoland which area do you think offers the most and best in amenities, quality of life, and overall capacity and potential?

For purposes of establishing boundaries for each region, the South Side suburbs extend east to include the neighboring Indiana counties of Lake and Porter county, and obviously southern Cook County. The North Side suburbs extend north into southern Wisconsin, including Pleasant Prairie, Kenosha, etc. The West Side suburbs extend westward towards Aurora, obviously. As far as drawing the line between West and North and West and South I'll leave that up to the more long time residents, as I've only moved here in the last 6 months and am still becoming familiar with the Western and Northern suburbs.
Different state/different part of the chi. Dont mix areas, that just pisses me off.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:04 PM

435 posts, read 431,049 times
I voted Western Suburbs as they are the best located in terms of reaching employment opportunities in the CBD as well as burbs to the south and north.

I live in Northwest Indiana. I do wish this was a separate option on the poll because there are unique advantages to living in NWI vs. the IL Southern Suburbs. However, given these three broad choices, I think Western burbs wins.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:32 PM

313 posts, read 596,654 times
If you're ignoring cost, as the OP did, this is really, really easy, and it's the north suburbs.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:36 PM

313 posts, read 596,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
The Northshore has the most beautiful homes and scenery from Evanston to Lake Bluff. That said, the western burbs are much much better in regards to transportation(metra and driving faster to the loop, and on the most part closer to both airports).

Also, with weather being so bad the last two years, I hear constantly from my northshore friends about how much warmer it is inland and how they hate the lake effect snow and colder temps.

So I vote west burbs.
So A) why are the Kennedy or Eisenhower, which are slower than the Edens, better?
B) Why is the UPNL not as good as I forget the name of the Metras in the West?
C) How can you possibly be so confused about how the lake effect weather happens? Yeah, it involves a little (a couple of inches over the entire winter on the west side of the lake) more snow, but it makes warmer winters and cooler summers. Your friends are complaining about this?

Old 01-22-2021, 01:23 PM

223 posts, read 170,637 times
Northern suburbs are WAY better than western

Old 02-16-2021, 01:27 AM

21 posts, read 37,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David2300 View Post
I can't recommend one over the rest, as each suburban area offers different things. The south suburbs aren't very desirable, but there are very nice south suburbs like Homewood, Olympia Fields, Crete, Monee, and Flossmoor. On the other end of the spectrum you have Harvey, Riverdale, Dixmoor, Calumet City...

The western and northern suburbs are very expensive. Look towards the southwest and northwest suburbs, many there are quite affordable.
The ONE arguably positive thing about the south suburbs is the general lack of large, expansive higher density apartment complexes containing hundreds of units that dominate the landscape in so many western and northern suburbs. There just isn't all that much multi-unit housing in general throughout this area by Chicagoland standards. For better or for worse, this is probably because real estate is valued so much lower overall, and consequently the market for such housing just isn't there as much.

Last edited by sharapata; 02-16-2021 at 02:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs