Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2015, 07:28 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times

Advertisements

My senior SIL (in her 80s) has an 08 Malibu and took it to have light on panel checked--
guy she uses (not Chevy dealer) said it needed new catalytic converter before he could do the repair it needed-I think an oxygen sensor...
she is on limited income and can't afford big expense---but has extended warranty--not sure how many years on it--
would something like this be covered under that type of warranty?
she has real adveserial position w/the local Chevy dealer--her husband worked there for years back in past but basically she doesn't trust them to be knowledgeable or fair--

I don't know where the next closest Chevy dealer would be--and don't know if she would drive any distance knowing car needs "work" done...
she lives in Victoria Tx--about an hour from Corpus Christi I think--
don't think she would drive to Austin which is more like 2.5 hrs where she had son/family who could help her back/forth to dealer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2015, 07:35 AM

45,379 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Something you may want to investigate, it looks like it may be warranted for 10 years or 120K miles.

https://www.facebook.com/caryautorep...62049883827255

Old 02-28-2015, 07:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Probably not covered under warranty if it is still valid. Cats will cost in the range of $800 to $2500 for most cars. She can get it bypassed for about $150. this will mess up the reading on the O2 senors and the car will not run properly (it will probably get bad gas mileage). It is technically illegal to bypass a converter permanently, but it is allowed for testing purposes. there are no converter police, so you can run without one indefinitely.

We have twice bypassed converters in cars and run them for several years without any serious problems. the check engine light will always be on (but with older cars they are often always on anyway) and the gas mileage drops some, but only a tiny bit (1-2. mpg if that).

A dealership willnot put in a bypass. You have to find an independent muffler shop.

Old 02-28-2015, 07:55 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
My husband found the extended warranty bulletin--not on that site--but thanks for the link--
I saw the one you posted--

it is a technical flaw in the design
IF the problem is with the catalytic converter she just has to make sure she gets the dealership to be straight with her--and tell the truth--
then the repair/replacement should be covered by the factory's service bulletin and should cost her anything whether she has extended warranty coverage or not for that part...

PS--my sister in law is not the type of person to jury rig a work around device--which could void other aspects of her extended warranty and it would show up when you have your car inspected...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC