Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM

3 posts, read 16,644 times

Advertisements

I am hopeful someone can help me out here. I need a new gynecologist since we moved to cornelius recently. My husband and I are going to start trying for a baby later this year so who I pick is actually an important decision this time. Huntersville ob/gyn is affiliated with Presbyterian hospital and lakenorman ob/gyn is affiliated with lake norman regional hospital. Anyone have a recommendation of one over the other? Also any recommendations as to a doctor in either office. I would prefer a female doctor and I have Aetna insurance. Thanks a bunch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 07:55 AM

3 posts, read 21,326 times
Default Same dilemma!

I am in the process of checking out both hospitals as well, as I am in my first trimester. We took the tour at Presbyterian, and I was really impressed with their facilities. We have a tour coming up at Lake Norman Regional. Presently I am going to the Lake Norman Ob/GYN practice, with Dr. Asbee, who seems good (and I have had other docs in that same practice recommended to me by people at work). But I am just not sure yet about the hospital, so I may switch. I would love recommendations of people who have used the Ob/Gyn at Presbyterian Huntersville!

Old 01-28-2009, 09:43 AM

509 posts, read 1,805,473 times
I had a great experience with Huntersville OB/GYN and Huntersville Presby. The maternity ward at the hospital is wonderful.

The physicians at Huntersville OB/GYN were great throughout my pregnancy. My favorites are Dr. Little, Dr. Gorsuch (warning - she is dry, not touchy-feeling, very factual, some people don't like her but she is a wonderful doctor and I like her personality) and Dr. Sharaway. Dr. Sharaway is the only male physician there and I too generally prefer women, but I really liked him too. Dr. Vuong cracks me up and is a good doc - she just tends to run late! There is a new doctor there since I've been - don't know anything about her.

I don't know anything about the LKN practice or hospital, sorry!

Old 01-28-2009, 02:44 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,360,529 times
Lake Norman GYN has 3 midwives.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:03 AM

GirlTravels, thanks for your suggestions! I made an appointment at Huntersville OB/GYn. The receptionist informed me that many times, at my prenatal appointments, I will see the Nurse Practicioner, not one of the docs. Did you ever find this to be a problem in your experience there? Did you feel like you always got the answers you needed?

Old 02-10-2009, 11:30 AM

509 posts, read 1,805,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby333 View Post
GirlTravels, thanks for your suggestions! I made an appointment at Huntersville OB/GYn. The receptionist informed me that many times, at my prenatal appointments, I will see the Nurse Practicioner, not one of the docs. Did you ever find this to be a problem in your experience there? Did you feel like you always got the answers you needed?
I did not see the nurse practitioner during my pregnancy. She came in with one of the physicians once when she just started. They offered nurse practitioner appointments to me, which I always refused. I had twins though, and so was considered higher risk.

I am not opposed to nurse practitioners, though, and if you are not satisfied, you could request to see the doctors only. A lot of prenatal visits are pretty routine - check your weight, heartbeat, measure your belly - that I think a nurse practitioner could handle.

Good luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:40 AM

3 posts, read 16,644 times
Girltravel: Thanks for the info on huntersville ob/gyn. I was leaning towards them since they are closer to where I live. Will be much more conveinent when I am pregnant and have to go for regular check ups. I will call for an appointment for my yearly there. Since we are not going to start trying for a baby till september it will give me time to switch if I dont like them.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:31 AM

124 posts, read 463,913 times
If you're trying for a more natural birth you'll most likely prefer LKN. If that doesn't matter to you I've heard Presby's facilities are nice.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 AM

Does anyone have suggestions of sites where one can see comparative stats on the two hospitals? (LKN and Presby Huntersville.) I had heard from a friend that LKN had a high rate of caesareans.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:29 AM

1 posts, read 6,654 times
The best kept secret is my doctor, Susan Roque. She has her own practice, All About Women at LKN. She has an awesome bedside manner and helped me deliver my third daughter almost 3 weeks ago. I was terrified with this pregnancy that I would deliver even earlier than I had before having had my first at 32weeks and my last at 30 weeks. I had heard about her from a friend of mine who wanted and had a successful VBAC with her. At my first visit she had me start a regimen of whiole food nutrition fruit and veggie and Omega 3 supplements after explaining that since she started adding them to the PNV 2 years ago she has not had a single high risk pregnancy, even in patients like me who had had only high risk pregnancies. She said I would probably end up asking for her to induce me because I was going to be oretty miserable having never experienced lugging around a baby that long. She was exactly right. I did ask her to induce me in my 39th week and had a fantastic experience. LKN staff was great and I was able to get in the tub on telemetry so my baby was monitored the whole time. Dr. Roque even came to do ALL of my pushing with me (never had that with either of my first 2 deliveries) whiich did not take long as she turns out to be a great cheerleader. I am so glad that my girlfriend recommended her to me. I don't think things would have gone anywhere near as well if I had gone to another doctor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte