Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:29 PM

2 posts, read 24,334 times

Advertisements

Hi,
We currently live in New York 45 mins from the city. And are considering relocating to Charlotte, NC. In my search I have found a town called Matthews the homes and schools seem to be a nice area to start our new lives. Does anyone have any suggestions or experiences they could share about Matthews or the South end of Charlotte...
Thank you,
Cara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2006, 03:39 PM

84 posts, read 123,341 times
I live in Matthews and have for over 12 years. What specifics do you want to know about the area?

Old 01-27-2006, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 21,489 times
One of my old roommates is a Matthews resident, and it is American Suburbia at it's best or worst-depending on your political slant of course . Really great schools-some of the best in the state-, even better homes, and that Charlotte southern charm to add the "Neighborly feel". It is very accessible to the rest of Metro Charlotte with the new I-485 beltway which runs through Matthews and shortens the commute.

Old 02-20-2006, 02:52 PM

8 posts, read 56,816 times
Default considering relocation as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiter
I live in Matthews and have for over 12 years. What specifics do you want to know about the area?
We have been researching for quite awhile now and matthews keeps popping up as a good place. What can you tell me about the job market there? My husband is a construction professional and I'm an administrative assistant/bookkeeper. We also have a 3 year old son so of course schools are the issue. What is the economic basis for the Charlotte area?

Thanks for your responses.

Old 03-05-2006, 10:14 PM

First, what part of NY? Matthews is a suburb of Charlotte but has incorporated on its own so taxes are lower. Services are provided by the town of Matthews. The schools are all part of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg School system. Are you considering public or private school? The CMS school district is huge and poorly run. The schools that Matthews residents go to are the best in the system. There are excellent private schools, many inexpensive. Don't know what kind of construction professional your husband is, but Meck county is growing fast in both residential and commercial building. If you look at a map, Union County, just below Matthews is growing fast and a bit less expensive. There is also Fort Mill, Tega Cay and Rock Hill SC. As far as your job, there is a lot of oppotunity. We moved here 12 years ago from NJ (Bergen County) to PA (Montgomery County) to NC. I have a 13 and a 10 year old and there is a lot to do with kids. Home prices do not compare with the North East. Typical homes, all brick, about 3300 sq ft with a decent lot run about $350k in Matthews. I do find that grocery shopping is higher here than in the North. Haven't figured it out yet. Taxes, auto insurance, and everything else lower.

Old 03-06-2006, 09:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Default Union County?

Recruiter,
I have a house under contract in Stallings. We looked at Matthews also and liked it, but just happened to fall in love with a house in Chestnut Oaks. Our realtor said the schools are great and taxes are lower in Union County. Can you give me some insight? I'm also originally from Bergen County and moving from Monmouth. Any help would be appreciated!

Old 03-06-2006, 10:21 AM

Stallings is a nice area. Just south of Matthews and north of Indian Trail. It is an easy commute to everything in Charlotte. Yes, Union County is a bit less expensive to live than Mecklenburg County but I am sure since it is growing so fast, will eventually catch up. That is a good thing. Schools in that area are better than the CMS schools. I think that Stallings go to the Weddington schools (not sure). As far as job prospects, you very close to 485 and to 74, both major roads. Charlotte is an easy commute, the Ballantyne business area and the Carmel Road executive park area are also not too far. Plenty of sports and parks in the area. That part of Union County has a lot of younger families.
What part of Bergen County?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:35 AM

14 posts, read 91,632 times
Is everyone in NC from Jersey Hey recruiter, you seem to be one with the answers. Do you know anything about Lexington or Monroe?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:39 AM

I grew up in Bergenfield and moved away in 1986. Wild horses couldn't drag me back to Bergen County! How about yourself?
My neighborhood sends to the new Antioch Elementary and Sun Valley High. I know Sun Valley isn't as good as Weddington but for my children, High School is 10 years away. Who knows what will happen by then with all the growth in the area?

Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 AM

I tried "JerseyGirl" as a username. What was I thinking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte