Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 09:03 AM

72 posts, read 174,258 times

Advertisements

DH and I are looking at a house on a golf course in a Charlotte area neighborhood (we already live in CLT metro). We like that the location means there are not other houses right on top of our back yard, but I am wondering if there are aspects we are not considering like if the course will impact our enjoyment of using our yard (golfers coming by all the time? golf balls flying in our yard? Early morning tee times?). We haven't been in the house yet but the photos look like it is a good distance from the course, but you know how real estate photos can be deceiving! Anyone have input?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2014, 09:08 AM

468 posts, read 826,552 times
Beware of errant golf balls seeking refuge on your property and the people with the spike soled shoes looking to take them into custody.

You have to check out the covenants of the neighborhood to see what the rules are concerning golfers and your property rights.

My mom lived along the 15th green of a golf course in Florida and that was enough for me to see that I would never do the same.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:13 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
I lived on one for about three years here in CLT and NEVER again.

We had to clear out of our yard about 20 balls a week. If you mow over them, it breaks the blade. We had one actually land on the house and broke the skylight. (landlord said in the 20 years of owning, that never happened before) And we were pretty far off where the balls should "fly". So in other words, bad golfers managed to miraculously land a ball in our yard. Then they enter my yard to retrieve their balls, I have shooed many a golfer till we put up a sign and they still would unlatch the gate to enter and my dog would run out. I padlocked the gate.

Plus I don't like looking out our windows to see a golfer staring in. Well appearing to stare in as they are standing/about to swing looking "toward" my house from a distance, but it's still unsettling. If I had owned the house, I wuold have lined the back with huge trees and block out the course. Only time I enjoyed it was when the course was closed and no one was on it.

So I would choose carefully just where you are on the course, and the "flight" paths. When you do decide on one, book a golf game and follow it through to see how it will impact the house.

Old 02-19-2014, 09:36 AM

72 posts, read 174,258 times
That's a great idea, Momtothree. I think the real estate agent can book a complimentary game for people looking at houses in the neighborhood, so I will look into that. Thanks for the feedback so far!

Old 02-19-2014, 10:43 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,943 times
WORSE spot is 175-250 yards right side of a tee box. Otherwise, wear helmets and face guards.

Old 02-19-2014, 11:03 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,813,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
WORSE spot is 175-250 yards right side of a tee box. Otherwise, wear helmets and face guards.
There was a house that had a window facing the back of a hole. (if you are standing there in the window, ball comes toward you) I always thought that was the stupidest location as that window was always covered in plastic indicating it was broken yet again.

Months later they put siding over that window. I wonder how many times a day a ball thwacks against that house.

Old 02-19-2014, 12:09 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,332 times
Beware of sunburned slightly drunk overpaid executives in tacky clothing running around a field while attempting to hit a round ball with a bent stick. Other than that I think it is safe.

Old 02-19-2014, 01:05 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,642,973 times
consider living close to a golf course instead...

Old 02-19-2014, 04:08 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,312,159 times
I have lived in two.

expect errant golf balls and resulting house damage. I had to replace more than enough window panes.

bother to your pets. especially if they are (1) outside and (2) protective.

expect the chemicals etc on the grass to wash into the creek if nearby. Sometimes the fumes would burn my dog's eyes and he ran into the creek.

I wouldn't do it again but live and learn.

Old 02-19-2014, 04:42 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
Beware of sunburned slightly drunk overpaid executives in tacky clothing running around a field while attempting to hit a round ball with a bent stick. Other than that I think it is safe.
HEY......I am NOT overpaid!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte