Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM

467 posts, read 1,496,715 times

Advertisements

For the past few months I've struggled to get good quality video on netflix. I can stream it perfect from my phones data plan, but through Time Warner Cable it is terrible, even though I've used their own speed test verify that I have between 10Mbps-20Mbps at any time.

Big Cable is evil to the core, and I think they are limiting data for customers who use netflix in order to suppress their competition. Be aware!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 09:31 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
For the past few months I've struggled to get good quality video on netflix. I can stream it perfect from my phones data plan, but through Time Warner Cable it is terrible, even though I've used their own speed test verify that I have between 10Mbps-20Mbps at any time.

Big Cable is evil to the core, and I think they are limiting data for customers who use netflix in order to suppress their competition. Be aware!
How is the device that receives the Netflix broadcast connected to the cable modem or router? Maybe your problem lies there.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
How is the device that receives the Netflix broadcast connected to the cable modem or router? Maybe your problem lies there.
It's hard wired to a linksys router. It would be very odd for my router to only have bandwidth restraints on netflix. I've done a lot of troubleshooting and it's specifically a netflix & time warner combination problem. I don't have cable, and I only watch netflix, so I use a lot of bandwidth, and I bet you $100 that I'm over their acceptable weekly, daily, monthly allotment that then triggers a reduction in bandwidth to netflix.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:40 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times
I have been experiencing lag with Netflix on Uverse for the last few months.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
I was having issues with my TWC internet and streaming, or doing much of anything really and turns out it was my router going bad. Got a new one and cleared up my issues. Try connection straight from your cable modem to your laptop/computer and streaming, see if that makes a difference.

Old 01-05-2014, 12:42 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,184,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trademarked View Post
It's hard wired to a linksys router. It would be very odd for my router to only have bandwidth restraints on netflix. I've done a lot of troubleshooting and it's specifically a netflix & time warner combination problem. I don't have cable, and I only watch netflix, so I use a lot of bandwidth, and I bet you $100 that I'm over their acceptable weekly, daily, monthly allotment that then triggers a reduction in bandwidth to netflix.
How old is your router? Have you tried running the wire straight from your computer to the modem to see if that solves the problem?

Old 01-05-2014, 12:44 AM

It's a one year old linksys/cisco router. I did connect directly to the cable modem and things were working well, and when I reconnected things were still working well, possibly because its late at night. I'll try again tomorrow during peak hours.

Old 01-05-2014, 04:00 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
What level of service do you have from TWC? Standard? Turbo?

Old 01-05-2014, 06:21 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
My direct tv setup wasn't compatible with Twc. Horrible lagging and long download times plus it was hard wired into the twc modem and I had the gaming tier. Twc checked the wiring and tried a new modem to no avail. Then they blamed direct tv and all my equipment...lol

I since then went to windstream and nary a problem. I have a roku, Netflix, amazon, mgo, direct tv, computers and gaming consoles all wirelessly hooked up and no lag.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:10 AM

2,348 posts, read 3,465,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
How old is your router? Have you tried running the wire straight from your computer to the modem to see if that solves the problem?
Echo echo... Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte