Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2024, 07:02 PM

146 posts, read 166,171 times

Advertisements

OK What's the scuttlebutt on the Union Building auction? Plans for its redevelopment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 05:39 AM

16,662 posts, read 15,654,903 times
I don't think there will be any plans for it until somebody buys it. There are huge problems with that building. The elevators don't work and will need to be replaced, the windows are horrible. There is no parking. If they convert it to residential, they will need to add a second exit. I saw architectural renderings for a fire escape/second staircase to be built on the east side of the building 50 years ago, but it was never built because it cost too much.

We'll see.

I've heard it said that they should have torn the building down in 1940 when the Boulevard was built. Maybe they should do that now and straighten out the road.

Have you ever walked out of that building and had cars nearly push you back in while you waited to cross the street? There is only about 3 feet between the wall of the building and the south traffic lane on the Boulevard.

Old 04-15-2024, 05:39 AM

6,070 posts, read 9,091,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
OK What's the scuttlebutt on the Union Building auction? Plans for its redevelopment?
I haven't heard anything. My hunch is that whoever ends up with it will turn it into more lofts.

While I would be ok with that, I have a different proposal. What if part of it was lofts, while the rest of it was converted into an upscale boutique hotel? Maybe 30-40 rooms. I could see a restaurant in it, or a cafe. Would the space to the left of the building (parking lot) be big enough to accommodate enough hotel guests, residents, and a driveway/ entryway for the hotel? It's a stretch, but that would be a cool use for the building.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
View detailed profiles of: