Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Dealing with Herbert Hoover
Hoover students consolidate into Capital and Sissonsville 3 23.08%
Repair current Herbert Hoover 0 0%
Build new Herbert Hoover somewhere else 8 61.54%
Consolidate Hoover and Sissonsville into new school 2 15.38%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 03:23 PM

778 posts, read 794,879 times

Advertisements

The Kanawha County Board of Education is moving at its glacial pace and we are a month out from the one year anniversary to the day and they have not yet finalized a site any of the schools. They have not yet decided if they are going to consolidate Bridge and Clendenin Elementary schools?!?!? I do not know what to think about any of this!

The new Hoover has a ~90 million dollar budget in contrast to ~31 million for at least one elementary school but I am willing to bet a lot of that is the athletic and extracurricular facilities. But, I think we need to be asking the question, "Is any of this cast in stone yet?"

http://www.wsaz.com/content/news/Kan...423894783.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 03:35 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,095,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The Kanawha County Board of Education is moving at its glacial pace and we are a month out from the one year anniversary to the day and they have not yet finalized a site any of the schools. They have not yet decided if they are going to consolidate Bridge and Clendenin Elementary schools?!?!? I do not know what to think about any of this!

The new Hoover has a ~90 million dollar budget in contrast to ~31 million for at least one elementary school but I am willing to bet a lot of that is the athletic and extracurricular facilities. But, I think we need to be asking the question, "Is any of this cast in stone yet?"

Kanawha County BOE passes motions toward rebuilding flood-destroyed schools
As a native of Clendenin, I have never been so proud of my hometown for the remarkable response, spirit, and now comeback of the town after the flood. This town has come along ways in such a short amount of time, and the people have a renewed sense of pride in the community! However, if the BOE decides to eliminate Clendenin Elementary and/or build a new school away from town, this community will collapse! All of the effort that has gone into bringing this town back to life would be in vain. Nobody wants to live in a place with no school, just saying.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
As a native of Clendenin, I have never been so proud of my hometown for the remarkable response, spirit, and now comeback of the town after the flood. This town has come along ways in such a short amount of time, and the people have a renewed sense of pride in the community! However, if the BOE decides to eliminate Clendenin Elementary and/or build a new school away from town, this community will collapse! All of the effort that has gone into bringing this town back to life would be in vain. Nobody wants to live in a place with no school, just saying.

Is there a place inside the Clendenin city limits that is (A) large enough for an elementary school and (B) 100% out of a 100 year flood plain? Clendenin has very small city limits and everything you see of Clendenin is on the river's edge. Granted, there are a handful of houses on the ridges but those are just that, ridges. They are too inaccessible for a school bus in the winter and too small for doing much more than a house.

The only way to put a school in the city would be tear down multiple structures, bull doze the ground enough to raise it 20'+ and then site the school. That is a he process just to placate a school in town. Richwood in Nicholas County is facing the same issue.

You could maybe get a school along the interstate, but I don't think the interstate exit is inside the city limits and it is would certainly not "feel" like it was inside the city.

Old 05-23-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Is there a place inside the Clendenin city limits that is (A) large enough for an elementary school and (B) 100% out of a 100 year flood plain? Clendenin has very small city limits and everything you see of Clendenin is on the river's edge. Granted, there are a handful of houses on the ridges but those are just that, ridges. They are too inaccessible for a school bus in the winter and too small for doing much more than a house.

The only way to put a school in the city would be tear down multiple structures, bull doze the ground enough to raise it 20'+ and then site the school. That is a he process just to placate a school in town. Richwood in Nicholas County is facing the same issue.

You could maybe get a school along the interstate, but I don't think the interstate exit is inside the city limits and it is would certainly not "feel" like it was inside the city.
I wasn't necessarily referring to the school having to be built in city limits. I just meant that there needs to be a school in the Clendenin area, as opposed to in Elkview with the new High School. The current proposal is for the school to be built where Hokie Lane is, which is hilltop between Clendenin and Falling Rock. That would be close enough to town to keep interest there. The rumors out there suggests that the county wants the school to be on the same property as the high school. IMO that would hurt Clendenin.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I wasn't necessarily referring to the school having to be built in city limits. I just meant that there needs to be a school in the Clendenin area, as opposed to in Elkview with the new High School. The current proposal is for the school to be built where Hokie Lane is, which is hilltop between Clendenin and Falling Rock. That would be close enough to town to keep interest there. The rumors out there suggests that the county wants the school to be on the same property as the high school. IMO that would hurt Clendenin.
To be honest I can see a lot practicality in consolidating K-12 at the new site including moving Elkview Middle School up there. But, the problem is the long bus ride for very young children. Like you I think because the total length of the district is 30 miles, you really need a minimum of 3 elementary schools. The one in Pinch seems to be ok and obviously Bridge is going to be part of the new Hoover campus but the problem will be trying to find a plot for the replacement Clendenin Elementary.

The only spot that can even remotely be considered using a topographic map seems to be between Clendenin and the interstate on Thoroughfare Rd between Grandview and 2nd St. There are two homes on the one side of the road that would have to be purchased and demolished - gonna be some cost there. But the site would work. The bridge over Big Sandy Creek might need some attention and the small culvert at the small creek just east of that might need the same. A lot of effort to put a school near Clendenin and shorten the ride for a few hundred young children. As a parent that answer is easy but as an administrator you go with cost.

Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
To be honest I can see a lot practicality in consolidating K-12 at the new site including moving Elkview Middle School up there. But, the problem is the long bus ride for very young children. Like you I think because the total length of the district is 30 miles, you really need a minimum of 3 elementary schools. The one in Pinch seems to be ok and obviously Bridge is going to be part of the new Hoover campus but the problem will be trying to find a plot for the replacement Clendenin Elementary.

The only spot that can even remotely be considered using a topographic map seems to be between Clendenin and the interstate on Thoroughfare Rd between Grandview and 2nd St. There are two homes on the one side of the road that would have to be purchased and demolished - gonna be some cost there. But the site would work. The bridge over Big Sandy Creek might need some attention and the small culvert at the small creek just east of that might need the same. A lot of effort to put a school near Clendenin and shorten the ride for a few hundred young children. As a parent that answer is easy but as an administrator you go with cost.
Actually the County has talked about possibly building a new complex at Hokie Lane. It is in between town limits and Falling Rock (in proximity to the Jehovah Witness Church). The plan called for building the school on top of the hill where it is flat, with an access road leading from 119 to the hilltop school. This would be close enough to Clendenin to meet the needs of the community, while also being close to the Bridge Elementary crowd.

Possible locations announced for new schools in Kanawha County

Old 05-24-2017, 07:55 AM

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Kanawha school board picks architects for new schools, OKs 2017-18 budget
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston