Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 12:42 PM

6,068 posts, read 9,091,285 times

Advertisements

Check this 3D visualization of the proposed upgrades to Jefferson/Davis Creek roads. The road as it is currently is one of the worst traffic congested areas in Charleston and probably the state for that matter. These upgrades are needed severely because this road is so vital to the businesses out at Southridge and the thousands of people that utilize this road to get there each day. This rendering shows an overpass over the Kanawha Turnpike and railroad tracks and an interchange that leads into a traffic circle. It's pretty cool, but I figure the final plans won't be like this.

[vimeo]174219152[/vimeo]
https://vimeo.com/174219152
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 02:00 PM

82 posts, read 120,126 times
I'd bet the new interchange actually does end up pretty close to this. It's noted as the "preferred" alternative which is given to the one that they almost always submit for the final green light. Moreover, the way I read the Gazette article, it sounds like DOT is pretty much set in doing it this way and - even better - getting it done pretty fast (land acquisition begins next year, construction starts in 2018 for a 2020 completion):

Charleston Gazette-Mail | DOT unveils improvement plans to relieve congestion on Jefferson Road

I really like the overpass/roundabout plan. It eliminates the dogleg, the rail crossing, and at least one stoplight. Win-win-win. Traffic will flow so much more quickly and smoothly in every direction this way, but especially to Corridor G.

Old 07-01-2018, 02:53 PM

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/news/k...deec1405b.html

Looks like preperation is underway for the $66 million upgrade to Jefferson Rd/Kanawha Turnpike. Homes have been bought and boarded up by the DOT for demolition. Plans possibly include a second entrance into the Shops at Trace Fork, which as many of you know the congestion that it receives. The dirt removed from the lane expansions will allow for infill to take place at the proposed Park Place retail development. Remember that all of this is a TIF district, and will eventually help build new South Charleston High and Middle schools, a Community Wellness Center, and other city projects.

Old 07-02-2018, 07:45 PM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Does this include a new road into Trace Fork?

Old 07-03-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnNada View Post
Does this include a new road into Trace Fork?
Yes

Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 AM

583 posts, read 592,489 times
Some good news right there. It looks like SC wants to grow. This road expansion on Jefferson has to happen for that to occur. It will be a pain for a while but worth it.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Some good news right there. It looks like SC wants to grow. This road expansion on Jefferson has to happen for that to occur. It will be a pain for a while but worth it.
Agree completely. This will really set up Corridor G for further growth. Considering how SC annexed all of the land along Corridor G from Trace Fork to the county line, I'd imagine that they will reap a whole host of new businesses and residents.

Now if they would find a way to make a I-64 West bound entrance ramp and a East bound exit ramp where the Kanawha Turnpike exit is, then that would really open Southridge and all of Corridor G to the highway. I could see more light industrial and distribution facilities along 119. Certainly more people would be interested in moving out that way, and would encourage more subdivisions. The Ridges is an example of what can be accomplished out there. Part of that school district goes to George Washington, so that is an added bonus. SC of course is the other option, and they are wanting to build a new school.

Old 07-04-2018, 01:30 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,510 times
Quote:
It will be a pain for a while but worth it.
I am thinking this may be to understatement of the year.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:21 AM

The inconvenience will be super annoying. Considering that there are no other roads that connect Corridor G with South Charleston/Montrose area it will divert traffic all the way to MacCorkle Ave. That will make traffic for everyone trying to reach Southridge terrible.

I hope that the construction is a speedy as it can be, without doing a ****-poor job! It will be super nice when completed though. If they could find a way for the new shopping center at Park Place to be connected with a new bridge across the highway, then you are talking about a serious retail corridor.

Old 07-05-2018, 06:53 AM

778 posts, read 794,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The inconvenience will be super annoying. Considering that there are no other roads that connect Corridor G with South Charleston/Montrose area it will divert traffic all the way to MacCorkle Ave. That will make traffic for everyone trying to reach Southridge terrible.

I hope that the construction is a speedy as it can be, without doing a ****-poor job! It will be super nice when completed though. If they could find a way for the new shopping center at Park Place to be connected with a new bridge across the highway, then you are talking about a serious retail corridor.

My only concern is the roundabout being in the initial design. I may be out base here on my assumption but I see this as a poor location for implementation. All it will take is one poor soul to misunderstand how the interchange works and there is a wreck that stops traffic in ALL directions going into and out of the roundabout.

I can see the engineering logic in using it, but I think something conventional is a better choice. The problem is the site's physical constraints. The design detail also indicates that all of the houses along Jefferson are to be displaced and based on what I have seen as I drive through the area, these people look like they have made no movement in relocating. Some of those houses have just completed so upgraded work on them. Not something you would expect if the house was under negotiation to be demolished and purchased by the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston