Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 11:48 AM

28 posts, read 71,748 times

Advertisements

It seems for a small state, there is a lot of varience in WV in terms of accents. The southern parts have kind of a twang, the parks closer to PA may be less so. So I'm curious about Charelston and South Charleston. Does this area have more of a pronounced twang/drawl, or does that pick up further south?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2014, 01:32 PM

6,080 posts, read 9,114,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicman84 View Post
It seems for a small state, there is a lot of varience in WV in terms of accents. The southern parts have kind of a twang, the parks closer to PA may be less so. So I'm curious about Charelston and South Charleston. Does this area have more of a pronounced twang/drawl, or does that pick up further south?
Most people that live in Charleston, South Charleston, Dunbar, Saint Albans, any any of the more urban areas of the metro area lack any distinct accent. I am from the outskirts of the city and I defiantly have a distinguishable accent. I wouldn't say that it is twang/drawl like, but it is more southern than other parts of the state. In some of the suburban areas to the south and east of Charleston you can see some heavy accents. But I would say that those that grew up on the East End or in Spring Hill do not have an accent.

Go 25 minutes south of Charleston and the accents resemble those of Kentucky and SW Virginia. Go 25 minutes north of Charleston and you also get accents, but more Appalachian than anything else.

Old 03-04-2014, 01:52 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
Most people that live in Charleston, South Charleston, Dunbar, Saint Albans, any any of the more urban areas of the metro area lack any distinct accent. I am from the outskirts of the city and I defiantly have a distinguishable accent. I wouldn't say that it is twang/drawl like, but it is more southern than other parts of the state. In some of the suburban areas to the south and east of Charleston you can see some heavy accents. But I would say that those that grew up on the East End or in Spring Hill do not have an accent.

Go 25 minutes south of Charleston and the accents resemble those of Kentucky and SW Virginia. Go 25 minutes north of Charleston and you also get accents, but more Appalachian than anything else.
Okay, I think that is a fair analysis but would add folks from Charleston do have a somewhat distinct speech accent. It isn't as pronounced as it is further out to be sure, but it is there. For that matter, people in Pittsburgh have a different distinctively Appalachian accent so that isn't to be unexpected.
I think you have to get to Columbus in one direction, and to Harrisburg in another, to not have any Appalachian influence on the speech.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
Okay, I think that is a fair analysis but would add folks from Charleston do have a somewhat distinct speech accent. It isn't as pronounced as it is further out to be sure, but it is there. For that matter, people in Pittsburgh have a different distinctively Appalachian accent so that isn't to be unexpected.
I think you have to get to Columbus in one direction, and to Harrisburg in another, to not have any Appalachian influence on the speech.
I can agree with this. I suppose everyone has some kind of an accent in that regard, but Charleston people do not have the twang/rural accent that carries in isolated parts of the state (mostly the coal fields). There is a good mixture of transplants in Charleston that accent is not a distinguishable feature among the population. Sure you have a few that do, but you also have people with Midwest accents and Northeast accents like every other town or city of significant size.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:30 PM

28 posts, read 71,748 times
Also, random: Just looking at a map it seems Charleston and South Charleston bleed together so much one might pass from one into the other without realizing. Is that accurate?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:29 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
I can agree with this. I suppose everyone has some kind of an accent in that regard, but Charleston people do not have the twang/rural accent that carries in isolated parts of the state (mostly the coal fields). There is a good mixture of transplants in Charleston that accent is not a distinguishable feature among the population. Sure you have a few that do, but you also have people with Midwest accents and Northeast accents like every other town or city of significant size.
I grew up right in Charleston. I have a southern accent that people in New England make fun of. Maybe not so much for today's children, but I never thought I had an accent in the 1950's.

Old 03-04-2014, 04:30 PM

16,677 posts, read 15,680,560 times
Quote:
Also, random: Just looking at a map it seems Charleston and South Charleston bleed together so much one might pass from one into the other without realizing. Is that accurate?
Not much. There are signs at the city limits. You can also tell in the wintertime. The South Charleston streets are clear right up to the city limits, then the snow covered streets begin.

Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 PM

1,946 posts, read 4,074,480 times
Quote:
While what Mensaguy stated is generally correct, there are definately some blurred boundaries in the residential areas. And it gets especially confusing around Southridge where the annexation battle lines vary from strip mall to strip mall

I was reading an article just this weekend about South Charleston's longterm plan to annex The Ridges residential subdivision.

Old 03-04-2014, 11:20 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,050,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I grew up right in Charleston. I have a southern accent that people in New England make fun of. Maybe not so much for today's children, but I never thought I had an accent in the 1950's.
I lived in New England and worked in New York for years. Those folks believe anybody south of Long Island has a southern accent. They also believe anybody west of Newark lives in Farmville.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:17 PM

I get made fun of plenty for my accent. Last year I lived in Florida and they thought that I had the thickest accent, and this year I live in upstate NY where they even poke fun all the more! I don't think that the accents within the city are as bad as mine. Again, I grew up outside the city in Clendenin where the majority of the population would consider themselves more country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston