Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area
 [Register]
Charleston area Charleston - North Charleston - Mt. Pleasant - Summerville - Goose Creek
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 10:02 AM

3,382 posts, read 8,654,820 times

Advertisements

Just wanted some opinions on what you think is a great restaurant for seafood around Charleston area. Not looking for super fancy, but not Gilligan's either kwim.

I'm also looking for a place with a great fish dip/spread. I don't like the store bought ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 10:25 AM

1,186 posts, read 1,942,156 times
E go to Fleet Landing pretty often. I'm no foodie, but neither of us has ever been disappointed either.

Folly Beach Shrimp Co is also consistent. And it's on Folly Beach!

Old 01-30-2013, 10:33 AM

2,527 posts, read 8,023,060 times
Fleet Landing is great. Try the lobster hush puppies.
Also Hank's Seafood, downtown, is always phenomenal, though expensive.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:42 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,321,831 times
Any place for swordfish?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM

859 posts, read 1,363,382 times
I don't think swordfish is being served much because of its high mercury content. You don't see it on the menu much anymore. Whole Foods gets some every once in a while, but it's muy pricey.

Don't know about restaurant dips, but Mt Pleasant Seafood has awesome crab dip and shrimp dip, both from McLellenville.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:31 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,289,996 times
We love Hank's downtown..our favorite!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Don't worry, there are a good few restaurants serving swordfish. At least 5 just downtown (and that's without that much searching).

Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM

246 posts, read 518,971 times
Swordfish is one of the easiest to cook. Sellsfish (a seafood market in Summerville) usually has it in stock, especially on the weekends.

Seriously, have you ever know ANYONE with mercury poisioning, or even heard of anyone suffering from it? The chicken most of us eat often has more scary stuff in it than a very occasional swordfish meal.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:48 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,675,582 times
Overall, the seafood, the selection, the cooking method (deep fry that sucker), etc. in Charleston is not really as special as many that do not not know otherwise (inexperienced) think it is. She crab soup is an exception. The stuff is awesome but everybody does it different. Same with Shrimp and Grits. Awesome, but different in each restaurant,

Some say Hymans is a tourist trap but when it comes to a varied selection, delivered hot, and properly cooked, it is one of the best tourist traps you will ever visit. Their whole, crispy Flounder is to die for.

Hank's is great. More up market and intimate then Hymans, but also more of limited selection and more costly.

You say it is varied? When was the last time your saw Calamari on a menu and other way but deep fried? When was the last time you saw most any seafood on menu any other way other then deep fried?

Some friends from Boston recently tried Coast and loved it so it is on a short list of places for me to try.

Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM

3,145 posts, read 5,962,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Overall, the seafood, the selection, the cooking method (deep fry that sucker), etc. in Charleston is not really as special as many that do not not know otherwise (inexperienced) think it is. She crab soup is an exception. The stuff is awesome but everybody does it different. Same with Shrimp and Grits. Awesome, but different in each restaurant,

Some say Hymans is a tourist trap but when it comes to a varied selection, delivered hot, and properly cooked, it is one of the best tourist traps you will ever visit. Their whole, crispy Flounder is to die for.

Hank's is great. More up market and intimate then Hymans, but also more of limited selection and more costly.

You say it is varied? When was the last time your saw Calamari on a menu and other way but deep fried? When was the last time you saw most any seafood on menu any other way other then deep fried?

Some friends from Boston recently tried Coast and loved it so it is on a short list of places for me to try.
In the better part of a decade that I've been familiar with Charleston I have seen non-fried calamari on several menus. Back when Brett McKee was chef at the Oak he had a calamari appetizer that was the best app in the entirety of Charleston in my opinion. It was not fried.

As to asking "when was the last time you saw most any seafood on menu any other way other then deep fried?"...do you not get out, or do you only eat at Long John Silver's? j/k

And while frying seafood isn't difficult, doing it right isn't something everyone can do.

I agree, Hyman's is a great choice. It's one of the few places in town that we like the fried seafood. Just don't go when there is a line out front......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Charleston area