Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2024, 02:15 PM

408 posts, read 871,367 times

Advertisements

My ex-wife and I are finishing up our divorce. One of the last things to do is split up the cell phone plan. The ex-wife is the primary name on the account. I want to split up the account, keeping my number and contacts (I really need to do this for work purposes).

I've gone to the Verizon store on multiple occasions and also contacted Verizon Customer Support online. Everytime, I get the response of referring me to a phone number for something called Assumption of Liability. They act like they think I want to made the primary name on the account, not understanding that I want a new account just under my name keeping the number and contacts. Is is possible to just create a new account, keeping my number and contacts, and do I need the ex-wife when I do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2024, 02:56 PM

6,470 posts, read 10,332,410 times
What you should ask for is a "Transfer of Service". Since your ex-wife is the primary account holder, she first needs to call in or go with you to a store to authorize the change of your mobile # to your name. She can keep her line on her account and you will have your own account. This type of request cannot be accomplished online, either at a store or by phone with a live rep. This is not a standard CS request and it is forwarded to a specialty team to complete. Your contacts are yours and your ex-wife cannot keep them from you under any circumstance as they are stored in your phone, not at the account level. I was a CS rep for At&t for almost 14 years and the process is essentially the same with all carriers. Best wishes to you.

Old 01-31-2024, 03:36 AM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
If it is an Android or iPhone, I would use the tools built into the phone to manage/transfer contacts via the cloud. Can't imagine having a business and not proactively safeguarding one's contacts.

Old 01-31-2024, 04:56 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmagex View Post
My ex-wife and I are finishing up our divorce. One of the last things to do is split up the cell phone plan. The ex-wife is the primary name on the account. I want to split up the account, keeping my number and contacts (I really need to do this for work purposes).

I've gone to the Verizon store on multiple occasions and also contacted Verizon Customer Support online. Everytime, I get the response of referring me to a phone number for something called Assumption of Liability. They act like they think I want to made the primary name on the account, not understanding that I want a new account just under my name keeping the number and contacts. Is is possible to just create a new account, keeping my number and contacts, and do I need the ex-wife when I do it?
Yes.

Per what dontaskwhy mentioned. I had to do this last summer. Same situation (account in ex's name). We just got on a conference call and she 'drove' the conversation w/ Verizon. I don't remember it being a complicated task. I already had a log in - and they basically just split that out as a new account.

The only residual issue is that I'm still getting notifications about her account (e.g. statements ready, payment received, etc.). I told her about it - and she says she can't figure out where that's happening from. But it's not a big enough deal for her to spend too much time on it for now.

Old 01-31-2024, 08:15 AM

16,541 posts, read 19,672,308 times
And your contacts? Are you using a flip phone, or something? Verizon has nothing to do with your contacts...and never has.
They can back them up is about the only thing they could do.

Old 01-31-2024, 12:12 PM

OP, is your phone currently in a payment plan or do you own it outright?

Old 01-31-2024, 12:54 PM

408 posts, read 871,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
OP, is your phone currently in a payment plan or do you own it outright?
Own outright

Old 01-31-2024, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Own outright
I was just curious, that will definitely simply the process. Best wishes and please update the community on your results.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:46 PM

4,831 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:

Verizon 'support' is one of the reasons we moved to TMobile after 20 years.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:58 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Actually you can do it without Verizon, if you are willing to switch providers, if only temporarily, and if you have access to the Verizon account. Just log on to the Verizon account and create a PIN for transfering your number. Then sign up with some other provider. That is exactly what my daughter did recently when she decided to leave my plan. It was easy.

You can always go back to Verizon if and when you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones