Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 12:35 PM

323 posts, read 448,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
. My LG has an app that updates my TracFone account. I just looked. I have 4635 mb of data remaining, 3186 Minutes, 4514 texts remaining. Service End date shows 08/10 but they will bill my credit card (AMEX) and update that at the beginning of each month. They also send me a text when that happens. This plan gets me 100 minutes a month and cost me a total of $11.74 a month or $140 a year. Cheap enough for me.
With all your accumulated minutes, etc, I'd go for one year for $100 ($8.50/mo) instead of $11.74/mo. My year of service always runs out before minutes, etc. If I want to have a long conversation I use our Comcast Triple Play land line.

We've liked Tracfone for many years. No service issues. When I had a flip phone I did have the minutes and end date at "my account" clash with what my flip displayed. Managed to get it straightened out with customer service. Too bad you can't get two years for $150 on a smart phone like you can on a flip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2016, 05:23 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,044,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiff View Post
With all your accumulated minutes, etc, I'd go for one year for $100 ($8.50/mo) instead of $11.74/mo. My year of service always runs out before minutes, etc.
If you have a lot of minutes but run out of service days the best thing to do is to go buy minutes from the Tracfone website. Choose the 30min/30day card for $10. When you check out it will offer you 365 days of service for $49.99. So for $60 you can extend your service days for 1 year, and you already have your large amount of minutes. I did this for a couple of phones that I maintain for family members.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:42 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peebola View Post
[Rant on]

I am frugal, and I am currently unemployed, so I have a prepaid Tracfone instead of a "real" cell phone/plan. I have been using Tracfone for a few years, so I am aware of how incredibly crappy their customer service is. However, I haven't really had any problems with the phone itself (it is a Samsung) and the phone service. So I stick with my prepaid Tracfone as it is only around $100 a year. I have a Google Voice phone number/OBI connection at home, so I don't use a lot of my Tracfone minutes.

Anyhoo...my issue with Tracfone is their non-existent technology for how Tracfone users view their balances and service end date.

Seriously Tracfone is a big-time provider of prepaid cell phones and plans and they have the worst, and I mean the worst, web site and app for viewing Tracfone balances (data, text, minutes).

For example, today I tried to view my current Tracfone balance by using:

1) the Tracfone My Account app
2) the Tracfone Website from my computer (signed in to my account)
3) the fastactportal from my computer

The app did nothing but spin its wheels and then eventually the screen said my minutes were "-"; my Texts were "Unlimited Bucket" and my Data was 0.0mb. WTH? I just added a year prepaid card a few weeks ago, and I should have had 3,000+ minutes, 3000+ Texts and 2,800+ mb data. At least the service end date was correct. Hooray for small miracles!

The Tracfone Website was pathetic. I signed in to my account and I assumed I could check my balance as my phone and phone number were registered on the site. Nope. What was I thinking? I clicked on the "check your balance" button on the top of the screen and it required me to put in my phone number once again (even though I was logged in to my account and it already had my phone number on the screen, whatever). The "Please wait while we process your transaction" scrolled across the screen for 2-3 minutes, I finally cancelled the process, and an error message came up and told me to try again later. Okey, dokey.

I finally went into Tracfone's fastactportal from my computer and typed in my phone number to check my balance. I received a smiley face saying there was a problem and call Tracfone.

[sigh]

No kidding, I ALWAYS have a problem checking my Tracfone balances, and don't get me going on the constant problems I have with adding prepaid airtime cards.

Tracfone get your act together! Why do you make it so hard for Tracfone users to check their balances on a regular basis? Why is your app and web site programmed like crap, with regard to checking balances? How hard can it be for Tracfone to hire competent programmers and database people to make a reliable "Check your balances" app?

Oh well, I called Tracfone customer support in India to get my balances, which was hell in itself. People who have Tracfones know of what I speak.

[ok rant off]

I have a daughter that is a senior in high school now , and i remember getting her a TracFone.

She was in the first grade and also a kindergarten and me having one myself but that was a long time ago .

Things certainly have changed she has a iPhone and a car now and even her Ole Man Pops has upGRADED.

Old 05-21-2016, 10:09 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
Did you know that iPhones can use Tracfone as the cell provider? Tis true!

Tracfone has a "BYOP" plan that allows people who have their own fancy smartphones (either iOS or Android) to use Tracfone as the service provider. No one's the wiser and the money saved is awesome!

Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 AM

323 posts, read 448,762 times
Default $49.99 for a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eofelis View Post
If you have a lot of minutes but run out of service days the best thing to do is to go buy minutes from the Tracfone website. Choose the 30min/30day card for $10. When you check out it will offer you 365 days of service for $49.99. So for $60 you can extend your service days for 1 year, and you already have your large amount of minutes. I did this for a couple of phones that I maintain for family members.
Do you get the extra 365 days for $49.99 on a smart phone? I heard that is only offered for flip phones. I'm on my first year with a smart phone. Right before I got my smart phone I added two years with the second year at $49.99 on my flip phone then transferred my number and the two years to my new smart phone to get around that.

Old 05-23-2016, 03:34 PM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
I tried it out yesterday on my smartphone and first you add the 30min card for $9.99 in your cart. Then, upon clicking "check out" the offer will pop up to add 365 days for $49.95. I didn't actually add it or make the purchase but it looked like it would work just fine. So it's really 365 days for a total of $59.95 or rounded up, $60.

I need the data MBs, so for me it still makes more sense to go with the $99 365day 400/400/400 card for smartphones, which then gets tripled. There are often deals to be found on those cards so you're paying less than $99.

Old 05-25-2016, 03:17 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,191,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think when you signup for 2.00/day plan, it forces you to pay every day whether you use it or not. So if you are an occasional user you are better off buying per minute. I have Boost prepaid and that's how it works. If I signed up by the day, it's going to charge me every day until I switch to a different plan.
that's not how AT&T does it your charged 12:00 AM to 11:59 PM and only on days used!! and it's unlimited for the period on the days that you use it theres no changing plans your just cut off untill you dial another number or make or take a text msg

Old 06-04-2016, 07:17 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Tracphone was/is part of the obamaphone plan where low income can get a free cell. Its a nice idea and I did take advantage at one point but it is really crappy service!

WOW ! How myths prevail.

The plan mentioned was started by Republican president Ronald Reagan. Get it?
And no smartphones apply. Only flip phones.

Old 06-12-2016, 01:07 AM

33,323 posts, read 12,498,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I think when you signup for 2.00/day plan, it forces you to pay every day whether you use it or not. So if you are an occasional user you are better off buying per minute. I have Boost prepaid and that's how it works. If I signed up by the day, it's going to charge me every day until I switch to a different plan.
Nope. I have the AT&T plan ground_pounder mentioned, have had it for a number of years, and it works as ground_pounder described.

I also have a nearly identical Verizon plan that is no longer offered to new customers. The only difference between the two plans is that texts with the AT&T plan = no additional charge/included as part of the $2.00, wheras on the Verizon plan texts are 2 cents each.

Old 11-28-2016, 04:19 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,672,167 times
I retired this spring and no longer needed my expensive Verizon cell phone. So I thought I would get a Tracfone.....just for "emergencies".

All worked out fine for a while and I added a $100 card to it a few months ago. A couple of weeks ago, I pulled it out to make a call and the screen says "Unregistered SIM" and of course the phone doesn't work. I endured a couple of hours on the line with a "customer service" person who determined that I need a new SIM card. New SIM card shows up in the mail the next day and after a somewhat shorter "activation call", I'm back in business...or so I thought. I was even mildly impressed with Tracfone's response. Not any more!

Today I actually did have an emergency call to make on my Tracfone. I pulled it out and the screen says "Unregistered SIM", and again, no service!

Tracfone is WORTHLESS, at least if you may need it in an emergency...or if you like throwing your money in the trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Cell Phones and Smartphones