Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 11:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 4,252,063 times

Advertisements

I inherited a 13-year-old cat from my very ill sister-in-law (actually, 2 13-year-old cats). The cat in question has asthma (no upper respiratory symptoms like a runny nose at all, but loud, noisy wheezing). My SIL could only tell me that the cat routinely got "allergy shots" (I'm assuming prednisolone or dexamethasone). My vet prescribed fluticasone and albuterol inhalers, to be dispensed through an AeroKat spacer device. I cannot get this cat to as much as put her face in the mask, no less keep the mask on long enough to inhale the medication. I've tried petting her the way she likes, giving her treats, dispensing her treats from the mask end (shaking them out) so she associates the AeroKat with good things, leaving the AeroKat out for her to get used to it, but no dice. She simply will not go near the device. If anyone had a "difficult" cat like this and successfully got them to use the AeroKat spacer device, I would love to hear what you did!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2024, 01:29 PM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
One of our cats has asthma, & I would never be able to get her to use an inhaler. We go to the vets every few months & she gets a shot & we get some drops to give her. The drops are hard enough, but manageable. I would tell your vet that the inhalers are not working, & can she get the shots instead.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
One of our cats has asthma, & I would never be able to get her to use an inhaler. We go to the vets every few months & she gets a shot & we get some drops to give her. The drops are hard enough, but manageable. I would tell your vet that the inhalers are not working, & can she get the shots instead.

I think that's what I might end up doing. Thanks.

Old 03-10-2024, 07:14 AM

46 posts, read 29,735 times
There's a woman I watch who has an asthmatic cat - she fashioned a plastic bin into a way for her cat to use the nebulizer:
https://www.tiktok.com/@3southerncat...51026559651118

If you don't want to watch TikTok, here's her web site with all her other platforms:
https://3southerncats.com

Old 03-10-2024, 09:33 AM

5,644 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquildove View Post
There's a woman I watch who has an asthmatic cat - she fashioned a plastic bin into a way for her cat to use the nebulizer:
https://www.tiktok.com/@3southerncat...51026559651118

If you don't want to watch TikTok, here's her web site with all her other platforms:
https://3southerncats.com
i was going to suggest something like this. When I volunteered at the Humane Society I frequently did breathing treatments. For most dogs we needed to use masks but for cats and small dogs we used nebulizers - much easier. You can buy one or fashion one out of a bin as it sounds like Tranquil's links show. For larger dogs that nobody could get to use the mask we would put them in a crate and cover it with plastic with an aperture just for the nebulizing pipe.

Here is one available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/WVNM-Atomizat...d29029e4747ec0

Old 03-10-2024, 06:38 PM

Thank you, and rep points to all!

Old 03-11-2024, 06:38 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,919,942 times
We had a cat with asthma and managed it with oral medication--bronchodiolators (sp). They were a human medication and inexpensive (check prices but IME Costco is the cheapest, and you don't need a membership to use their pharmacy).

I'm sorry your SIL is ill, and it's very kind of you to take in these kitties.

Old 03-11-2024, 08:15 AM

20,361 posts, read 14,636,289 times
I was able to get my cat to do the inhalers with the AeroKat, but he is a very chill cat. So far I've only found one thing he won't tolerate, unfortunately that's my attempts to brush his teeth.

I would crouch over him, imagine the cat in a "cat loaf" crouch, and me holding him by basically being in a low kneel behind him and my elbows on the floor on either side of him, so he can't back away, and he would let me hold the spacer mask onto his face. He obviously thought the whole thing was pretty weird, but he tolerated it.

Problem was...the inhalers didn't help. His attacks occurred just as often with no discernable difference with or without them, and they were expensive. If they actually made a difference, I would not have minded the cost, but it's a lot to pay for something that didn't work. What did work, was staying on top of my dusting and cleaning, changing HVAC filters in the house every few months, and running humidifiers in the house. Also, his attacks were worse when we lived in Colorado, compared to Arizona (it is more dry and arid and high elevation in CO where we were.) He still has attacks occasionally but nowhere near as often.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:54 AM

21,881 posts, read 12,936,608 times
Do you mean aerosol mask or actual inhaler? No, you can't get a cat to close his lips tightly around a mouthpiece and inhale, as one does a rescue inhaler, but you can hold the mask near the cat's face while he sleeps or enjoys being petted in your lap and get enough of the good stuff in him THAT way.

This is assuming you've received the medication, equipment, and instructions from your vet.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:32 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
I have one with asthma, she wheezes. She almost never has an attack anymore. We just had a yearly check with a new vet, she asked about trying an inhaler for her. I said at her age (11), I’m not gonna torture her with one. She’s pretty much under control other than wheezing.

I know her quality of life is not perfect but it’s good. And I’m not going to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats